Review Rd 1, 2019: Win vs Sydney - autopsy. 82-65

Remove this Banner Ad

::WARNING:: NEGATIVES

We carried 4 players tonight. Our captain was one of them. He does some good things, and does some poor things. Just isn't the player he was in 2015.

Dickson, Williams and Smith were the other three. They all did positives at times, but the bad outweighed the good. Smith gets a pass obviously, but I think at least one of the other 3 gets dropped. Lets be honest it won't be Wood, so I think Dickson might be done.

Edit: it appears I'm wrong, carry on.

Our captain had the job on Lance Franklin and did a terrific job, still shows great leadership. I think Dickson is still valueble in showing the younger forwards the way in terms of positioning and leading patterns, similar to what Gia did in his final year. Agree with the sentiment about Williams, he seemed lost. Wouldn't mind seeing him make way for Lewis Young to come in next week as a high marking option out of defence, with Schache as the key forward and Naughton as the key back. As for Smith, he'll get some time in the VFL soon enough.

Smith was picking up the piece of the game towards the end of it, after an admittedly terrible first half. Not sure of we make any changes, Collingwood have dangerous mid sized forwards and a midfield of class that is completely lacking in a "scrapper" to sacrifice their game for the team.

We rotated Libba and Wallis on JK which worked well. I'm confident we can nullify any opposition prime ball winner

Smith was picking up the piece of the game towards the end of it, after an admittedly terrible first half. Not sure of we make any changes, Collingwood have dangerous mid sized forwards and a midfield of class that is completely lacking in a "scrapper" to sacrifice their game for the team.

We rotated Libba and Wallis on JK which worked well. I'm confident we can nullify any opposition prime ball winner

Don’t we play the hawks next week ?

What’s the Collingwood reference?

What a fantastic result. Sydney lifted their intensity massively in the last and the boys still managed to wrest back the momentum. A really top effort.

Bont, Wood, Naughton, Macrae and Libba all super. Knew that Lloyd would be good pick up (I think he’ll win our goal kicking) but never understood why we picked up Duryea. I get it now. He was good.

Wood beat Buddy all day but in the final quarter he almost won it for them. Buddy really is a super player and we’re pretty lucky to get to see him play. Hate him and Love him.

Props to the coaching staff who out coached the opposition.

I’m going to bed now to nurse my very sore throat...almost lost my voice in the last....what a game.

OMG Chicago!!! I just posted abuse on their Facebook page about the imbecile who wrote this article!! Not about Bont's Brownlow (which I saw but thought I'd read it incorrectly), but about this:

"...but the win was not without controversy. With the Swans charging and the game close to time on Swans star Lance Franklin took a mark inside the 50 and went back to take the set shot but was called to play on by the umpire, who assumed Buddy had used all of his allotted time..."

ASSUMED!!!!! He bloody well HAD run out of allotted time coz I was watching it on the scoreboard and started to wave and yell play on to our guys myself!!

Lol!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
LOL I read that in the article and was sure that whoever was commentating at that moment, said that the clock had run down. I was typing at the time ,I think, so didn't see my TV screen. News Corp. LOL

I still think Crozier had been a fantastic pick up.

Bont is a freak, but I really wonder have given 3 votes to Naughton.
Really happy with some of Schache's contests just to bring the ball to ground - one in particular over the back of Aliir is what we've been crying out for.

Shout out to McLean - he just seemed so clean in the second half. Surprised he had 20 touches - it seemed more like 15 at 100‰ efficiency
Felt the same - didn't see McLean touch it much but I don't think he did a single thing wrong. Look a lock for the pressure forward spot, and I'm glad he's found that because as a midfielder his position would have been in serious jeopardy with the return of Libba

We started playing like crap when Gil decided to slide up against him but as soon as Matt began to ignore him we came good

Thanks Matt!! And thanks channel 7 for providing us with such compelling vision of the moments that matter

Hear, hear! Well done on the Channel 7 boys for highlighting Gil's floggery during the post match. I just hope he didn't ruin Matt's night.

How good is a win in Round 1? Especially against a perennial finalist like Sydney.
It was no fluke. We won or halved every key stat except hit outs (but won the more important stat: clearances 41-32).

A few thoughts:
  • Knee strapping or not, Bont's back. Back to his 2016 best.
  • In 11 and a half months time can we all remember how different Round 1 was to the JLT games? I admit to being underwhelmed by our JLT performances (not the losses so much - just the lack of any semblance of cohesion and system) but the side has found its mojo again. Could it have had a bit to do with the intensive block of hard training completed just before JLT1?
  • Nice to see our K:HB ratio was 1.41 this week instead of < 1.00. Much more enjoyable to watch too.
  • I don't think we lost the plot so much in the last quarter. I think we simply ran out of legs. You could see the fatigue. Players just didn't have the zip to put in the second and third efforts when the loose ball possessions seemed to be happening in slo-mo. Nor we able to apply the defensive pressure that had served us so well for the first three quarters. This meant Sydney rebounders were able to get balanced and pick out targets with greater ease. We'll be better for the run though. Good thing we have an 8 day break.
  • Libba was sensational. Won so many clearances for us. Close 2nd to Bont for BoG.
  • After Bont and Libba our other midfielders were pretty bloody good too - Macrae slipped under the radar as usual, Dunkley was always in the game, Hunter ran all day and despite the odd clanger was vital for us. Wallis pretty good too. They may not be sexy names in the media (apart from Bont) but they'll win more midfield battles than they lose this year.
  • Special shout out to Macrae and Hunter who each had 93% game time. That's an insane workload for these two midfielders who cover so much ground.
  • The two Baileys didn't do so well tonight. I'll reserve comment on Smith - let's see how he's tracking around June. I'm sure he'll work into it. Williams was filling in for Morris/Wood and up against players like Heeney and Reid at times, perhaps not a role that he likes. I'd like to see what he can do when given a bit more licence to be creative.
  • Not convinced Dickson is cooked yet. He didn't play in either JLT (although he did play VFL) so I think it's a bit premature to ditch him after one average game in the seniors. He's never a high possession getter though, so if he's not kicking goals then I'm sure we'll see Lipinski or Greene get a run before long.
  • English is very much a work in progress. He was comprehensively outrucked (hit outs) but had some good moments in loose play, including repeat efforts that helped produce our final goal from Lloyd. I expect him to develop rapidly as the year progresses. Not sure when Trengove gets a run but whenever it is, I hope it's not as a defender.
  • Finally a big shout out to our midget defence that had to adapt to the absence of our best KPD, Aaron Naughton, and the generalship of Morris. They were outstanding and I think surprised a lot of people - not just those on BF.

And that’s why I wasn’t concerned after JLT.

Agree with most of the positives in here.

The defence was excellent - we’re not the only team going undersized and all of them have been successful and held teams to low scores. Structure held up beautifully, until the last quarter.

After watching Port and us, both are clearly electing to ask a couple of defenders to play taller, and backing in the run and skill they add over any perceived defensive weakness.

The only change we should be looking at is whether Trengove comes in to take on McEvoy and Ceglar. I say no.

Smith and Dickson were a bit off the pace but should keep their spots. If you’re dropping Dickson based on his numbers alone you’re missing half the picture. Would only replace Smith with Lynch, who won’t be avail.

You really have to wonder how seriously we take these pre-season hit and giggle games. Our game plan was barely recognisable from befuddling helter skelter only a week ago where we went forward without any discernible game plan other than to push the forward by any means seemingly for the sake of it. A game plan (such as it was) that gave our forwards zero chance of getting any clean ball. Fast forward a week and we clearly went with a plan of not allowing the Swans defencive aerial dominance to overwhelm us and for our mids to lower the eyes and look for and honour a lead.

I don't think it would be an issue with nor be surprised if we drop Smith back to the seconds for a spell as for mine he looks to be struggling with the tempo of the game a little and just hasn't been able to find the space needed to bring his skillset to the fore... just yet. Im not sure who Id replace him with as we just dont have access to the exposed form of the next tier of players, but on tonights game were we were out on our feet in the last it'd be a player with excellent endurance.

I also think that it would be folly not to bring in Trengove next week as McEvoy was absolutely dominant today and would absolutely monster English around the ground. He's going to be a big enough headache for our undersized defence when he rests forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not on the injury list. People have been pointing out that he seems to have disappeared.
Bevo described Lynch as "not in the best 22" at this stage, when interviewed last week.

Last edited:
Surprised reading the negativity about smith’s Debut bevo is giving him a taste I’d say 2/3 games to show him the step up between under 18’s and afl how much faster and tactical the game is especially against well drilled sides in Sydney and the hawks shows him what’s required and when he does go back to the twos he knows what he needs to work on but with a fire in his belly to get back there smart coaching by bevo

Last edited:
Lol wow

Did u even watch the game ?

We dominated the midfield until English gassed out. A 20 year old kid wit less than ten games held his own and you sh!t can him.

We couldn’t save the game we had to kick goals to win and moving Naughts back is a horribly negative look to the boys out there, it basically says we try and hold on now. You can’t do that 3-4 goals in front. That being said I still think he should play back

Learn footy then come chat
Well said, Matt. Feeling any more optimistic than this time a couple of weeks ago?

Every now and then we get a nervous Nellie opining that Aaron Naughton will one day leave us for the expanses of W.A.

Loosen your belt, watch this clip and tell me that he is not fully invested in our club.

If playing your guts out is all it takes to justify selection at AFL leve, then the club owes Mitch Honeychurch an apology.

English got hammered in the tapouts by Sinclair, picked up only 8 disposals and 1 mark. For me, he shouldn't be playing ahead of Trengove.
Watch the game again.Been a long time our midfield had such an advantage.
Trengrove is too short and too slow for Ruck

You really have to wonder how seriously we take these pre-season hit and giggle games. Our game plan was barely recognisable from befuddling helter skelter only a week ago where we went forward without any discernible game plan other than to push the forward by any means seemingly for the sake of it. A game plan (such as it was) that gave our forwards zero chance of getting any clean ball. Fast forward a week and we clearly went with a plan of not allowing the Swans defencive aerial dominance to overwhelm us and for our mids to lower the eyes and look for and honour a lead.

I don't think it would be an issue with nor be surprised if we drop Smith back to the seconds for a spell as for mine he looks to be struggling with the tempo of the game a little and just hasn't been able to find the space needed to bring his skillset to the fore... just yet. Im not sure who Id replace him with as we just dont have access to the exposed form of the next tier of players, but on tonights game were we were out on our feet in the last it'd be a player with excellent endurance.

I also think that it would be folly not to bring in Trengove next week as McEvoy was absolutely dominant today and would absolutely monster English around the ground. He's going to be a big enough headache for our undersized defence when he rests forward.

I actually think we played fairly similarly against St Kilda, it just didn’t work as well for a few reasons (in no small part the conditions), but they include that we just didn’t go at 100% on any level.

I think Smith might stay in for at least the first two games.

Yeah, McEvoy will kill him in the ruck, but he was killed in the ruck tonight and it didn’t hurt us. I think we looked better having an extra small in the team, but we might run with the two ruck setup because the Hawks do too.

Really happy for the playing grp.
If we win next 3 i will get excited.
Right now i'm pleasantly surprised
I understand. It's been a long life following this team. I'm usually like you and I don't know what's gonna happen against other opposition or later in the season. But by God that wasn't a fluke and their heart and souls were in this. And they were stuffed at the end so they're not perfectly match fit either. Can't stop beaming!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Did anyone notice Bevo say in the press conference that Lewis and Roberts will "get a look-in" in due course?

I think it's going to be horses for courses. I certainly wouldn't have swapped any of tonight's defence out for Roberts. Maybe they'll consider sending Williams upfield in the next week or two (perhaps for Smith?) with Lewis Young taking his place.

Also English might need a break by about Round 6 - he's going to be up against some seriously tough opponents and can't do it 100% of every game. We need to give him game time but we also need to look after him physically. (Minor point: I keep reading here that he's only 20 but in fact he turns 22 in a few months. He was already 19 when we drafted him.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back