Radio 1116 SEN 2024 Line-up

Remove this Banner Ad

I would go as far as having almost no interviews from anyone currently involved in an offical capacity unless they have a proven track record of being super interesting.

Ex players with no current link to their clubs would be an interesting way to go.

There are very few current AFL players and admin who have a track record of being interesting people so I would focus on them, one example I can think of is Darcy Moore and then in a completely different way Tony Cochrane.

Spot on. 99% of the time the interviewee does not want to be there. Typically it's a player who knows he can just trot out superficial cliches for 5 minutes in order to tick off one of the however many media appearances he's obliged to do. CEO's are generally spin-masters. I agree that they should look outside the box for better content, however majority of ex-players that were any good go straight into coaching or the media, anyway, so you're not going to get anything out of them. Ex-players that don't are typically not as good and in-turn have less credibility.

I don't think we'll see anything change. SEN (and other stations) are just hanging out for a time where they'll get a Mick Malthouse 2015 (?) type interview. (From what I recall it was the year Mick was under the pump at Carlton and went on SEN mornings and basically gave an interview daring them to sack him. Wispy and Gary were in heaven and played it up perfectly (as they should've))

I listen mainly on the weekend but even the staunchest ALP person would admit that the station has been treated harshly during Covid...for Brett Sutton to have not once agreed to an interview with the No. 1 rating Breakfast show (who are fairly apolitical), or Andrews to have never appeared on Mitchell's show, is pretty infantile :think:

I would go as far as having almost no interviews from anyone currently involved in an offical capacity unless they have a proven track record of being super interesting.

Ex players with no current link to their clubs would be an interesting way to go.

There are very few current AFL players and admin who have a track record of being interesting people so I would focus on them, one example I can think of is Darcy Moore and then in a completely different way Tony Cochrane.
SOS is a perfect example. But I guess they wanna be the first.

Lewis Martin of ch 7 was just on.

Would have got more out of this Lewis Martin and they’re both now dead

B3-C52-B4-E-5-DB8-4-BF9-9009-771508-DE718-C.png

some great posts

Can't listen to Elliott either.

i think he believes in what he says 95% of the time, the balance he hams it up for shock value to get talkback up. Topics are generally the same (aside from breaking stories)
- coal vs renewable energy
- BLM
- transgender/people signalling as male/female/etc
- councils flying flags in addition to the national one
- dan andrews

Spot on. 99% of the time the interviewee does not want to be there. Typically it's a player who knows he can just trot out superficial cliches for 5 minutes in order to tick off one of the however many media appearances he's obliged to do. CEO's are generally spin-masters. I agree that they should look outside the box for better content, however majority of ex-players that were any good go straight into coaching or the media, anyway, so you're not going to get anything out of them. Ex-players that don't are typically not as good and in-turn have less credibility.

I don't think we'll see anything change. SEN (and other stations) are just hanging out for a time where they'll get a Mick Malthouse 2015 (?) type interview. (From what I recall it was the year Mick was under the pump at Carlton and went on SEN mornings and basically gave an interview daring them to sack him. Wispy and Gary were in heaven and played it up perfectly (as they should've))

Lets face it, AFL industry is small and finite. Former players, if they choose to go into the media, wont rock the boat especially if they have mortgages or families to feed. $$$$$. If they do they're out of a job.

Interviews at the moment with players/coaches about practice games, what does it achieve? We hear cliches (training hte house down). nothing else.

agree with all your points

I listen mainly on the weekend but even the staunchest ALP person would admit that the station has been treated harshly during Covid...for Brett Sutton to have not once agreed to an interview with the No. 1 rating Breakfast show (who are fairly apolitical), or Andrews to have never appeared on Mitchell's show, is pretty infantile :think:

breakfast 3AW is great! agree on your points also.

Also today i heard dwayne read aloud texts along the lines of "how do you think collingwood will go this year". Its started.

No . Don't blame Andrews as Mitchell thinks his own poo doesn't stink.

Have Andrews or Sutton appeared on any radio or TV show? Genuine question as I don't listen to, nor watch, much news (usually just read ABCnews . com or News . com). I would've thought doing the daily press conference was more than enough chance for media companies to get their Daniel Andrews content. If Neil has questions for the Premier he can always show up to one of them.

Also, in their defense, why would you go on Neil Mitchell, or any other show for that matter, given the way NewsCorp cover them?

Have Andrews or Sutton appeared on any radio or TV show? Genuine question as I don't listen to, nor watch, much news (usually just read ABCnews . com or News . com). I would've thought doing the daily press conference was more than enough chance for media companies to get their Daniel Andrews content. If Neil has questions for the Premier he can always show up to one of them.

Also, in their defense, why would you go on Neil Mitchell, or any other show for that matter, given the way NewsCorp cover them?
To be accountable to the whole public not just those whom kiss their backsides?

Have a listen to the Newscorp scum at those pressers.
Does the news that April reads go Australia wide and she really gives news from other places that have nothing to do with here.

Have a listen to the Newscorp scum at those pressers.
Does the news that April reads go Australia wide and she really gives news from other places that have nothing to do with here.
Dans governments actions re hotel quarantine wasted months of our lives, cost billions and killed hundreds of people, excuse me for not being too concerned if he gets a grilling by some hacks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. Hence facing the press at a conference every day instead of picking and choosing to go on people's radio shows, which is what the initial comment in this discussion was. All media are free to attend those pressers and whole the gov to account. Look at what Peta Credlin did.

Lets face it, AFL industry is small and finite. Former players, if they choose to go into the media, wont rock the boat especially if they have mortgages or families to feed. $$$$$. If they do they're out of a job.

Interviews at the moment with players/coaches about practice games, what does it achieve? We hear cliches (training hte house down). nothing else.

agree with all your points

Well said Pete. Look at someone like Grant Thomas - like him or hate him, he had a very good record as a coach, had a solid media gig where he absolutely spoke his mind, which often meant being disparaging towards the AFL and players/coaches. End of the day, if you believe him, he got run out of the game because he was too negative towards the AFL. Lucky he had a business behind to fall back on.

I agree. Hence facing the press at a conference every day instead of picking and choosing to go on people's radio shows, which is what the initial comment in this discussion was. All media are free to attend those pressers and whole the gov to account. Look at what Peta Credlin did.

Now that you put it like that, good point. Anyone with media accreditation can turn up and ask questions.

Well said Pete. Look at someone like Grant Thomas - like him or hate him, he had a very good record as a coach, had a solid media gig where he absolutely spoke his mind, which often meant being disparaging towards the AFL and players/coaches. End of the day, if you believe him, he got run out of the game because he was too negative towards the AFL. Lucky he had a business behind to fall back on.

Thanks Worky. We may disagree strongly on which of our storied franchises is the best, but on this we are allies. i enjoyed Grant on the you cannot be serious podcast with mike S and sam N. He was great. Well spoken.

Had a rather morbid thought about Marg. Has to be said though. I can't stand listening to her on Hutchy's show, but that's down to what Hutchy has turned it into. You get the feeling she'd be a great Nanna and person and knows her sport for sure. I don't mind listening to her when she calls Damo and co at night honestly.

Also reckon she's got a few years left in her, but I HONESTLY reckon her funeral will be broadcast live on SEN. Anyone agree?

Had a rather morbid thought about Marg. Has to be said though. I can't stand listening to her on Hutchy's show, but that's down to what Hutchy has turned it into. You get the feeling she'd be a great Nanna and person and knows her sport for sure. I don't mind listening to her when she calls Damo and co at night honestly.

Also reckon she's got a few years left in her, but I HONESTLY reckon her funeral will be broadcast live on SEN. Anyone agree?
I agree , maybe have her on once a month . Last weeks show was one of the best for some time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back