News Sam Hayes signs for North Melbourne VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I can understand it. Big call to put in a first gamer as your only recognised ruck against one of the best sides in the comp. Hopefully Hayes gets a crack before SL's return.
They are 2nd on the ladder, so I suppose it makes sense

He will be back in Melbourne with 6 teams offering guaranteed AFL every week. Could be Port's worse decision in 20 years not to play him.

Nonsense.
1. He likes it here and is under contact.
2. He’s a 22 year old developing Ruck that nobody wanted to invest in on draft night.
3. He’s going to get a chance in the next couple of weeks.

I really wanted to see him play. Conservative Ken is conservative.
And this comment pretty much sums up the gist of 90% of viewpoints here ... including myself. But just because we want to damn well SEE HIM, doesnt make Hayes a correct choice & Ladhams a poor choice.

I know there have been poor selections in the past, but selecting Ladhams for Saturday's match is def NOT one of them! Both have different traits and skills to offer, and either choice has merits. My heart says Hayes, but my head says Ladhams is the correct call.

And please stop being a bunch of emotive gits, chasing Hayes out the door ... He isnt going anywhere!

Last edited:
With young rucks you are best keeping them on the boil until they are pretty much ready to explode.
You want them coming in hardened, angry and with a point to prove, because a timid ruckman is toast and can singlehandedly lose you the game.

Hayes is definitely on the boil, and I reckon if he can bang down the door in the next four weeks he will be al dente.

Contracts don't mean anything anymore. Not saying he would go or has any intent to, but our culture must be pretty good if he wants to be third wheel.

I'm not disappointed, Ladhams has plenty of talent, but would have been great to see Hayes debut.

Ruckmen are a different breed these days.

Since delisted free agency came in and future picks were allowed to be thrown around like interpeak multitrips, if they’re halfway decent and healthy they’re assured of a 10-12 year career somewhere, anywhere, regardless.

I’m thinking Vardy, I’m thinking Currie, I’m thinking Hickey, I’m thinking Mumford, I’m thinking Z-for-Zachary Smith.

Now if Hayes stays patient and takes his chance when it comes, he could still be a Goldstein or Gawn. And you’re right, you get the feeling he’s prepared to do that here, and not risk jumping to the wrong situation and/or copping a dose of bad luck and becoming an unfulfilled Preuss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll back Ladhams in regardless of my thoughts sometimes the extra responsibility & shouldering the workload can bring the best out in people.

Same here. I'm pro-Hayes but I'm not anti-Ladhams. Hope Pete does well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back