Position 2024 Fantasy Rucks

How much impact will R0 have on determining your RUCK combo ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 0 sees the clash of "MATES"...... well former team mates at least GRUNDY vs GAWN. The massive plan of tag teaming Grundy with Gawn was a much heralded fail.

From a Fantasy perspective, we don't care how much Collingwood was paying of Grundy's salary, or even if any of that goes to Sydney now. We just want a durable ruck who can give a viable alternative to English or Marshall at a fraction of the cost. We are bargain hunting here! So we look first at last season:

1704599846909.png

Then Grundy's output the season before (2022):
1704599987342.png

And for good measure, the season before that (2021):
1704600165465.png

It's not a particularly deep dive. Impacts the big Cox and Darcy Cameron has had on his output could be looked at as well, but I doubt it will have a material effect on the following question:

If you are considering Brodie Grundy for your Fantasy side, what do you need to see from him in the Mates Showdown in Sydney between Grundy and Gawn on Thursday March 7th?

Last edited:
Missing only one game for the season as well as having a 10 point higher average would surely swing it in favour of Scott...
Yep, when considering Simpkin, be crazy not to look at Scott as an option. Assess the roles with no Round 0 game......

Bit of an unfair representation. I’d argue Simpkin had a year from hell with 2 concussion subs and another injury game cut short
Not suggesting it's fair, just who you would you choose? Fantasy is anything but fair......

Not suggesting it's fair, just who you would you choose? Fantasy is anything but fair......
I’d still choose Simpkin. He’s an inside outside type with previous years of 95 average. Don’t get me wrong, Scott was insane last year but he’s an outside mid and those guys are always fraught with danger in fantasy. Simpkin to me has a fair bit of value in him

I’d still choose Simpkin. He’s an inside outside type with previous years of 95 average. Don’t get me wrong, Scott was insane last year but he’s an outside mid and those guys are always fraught with danger in fantasy. Simpkin to me has a fair bit of value in him
Be watching that first game all the same......

Be watching that first game all the same......
My biggest gripe with selecting Scott is this:
YearGamesAverage
4​
54.0​
13​
47.5​
17​
50.9​
21​
69.1​
23​
85.6​

His scoring is all over the shop. Its hard to know if last year was one out of the box. Back end of last year was great but Roos now have Mckercher who’s a highly rated outside type, word of Sheezel getting more mid/wing time, plus a fit Wardlaw which could mean guys like Simpkin and Thomas spend more time outside which is where Scott has spent all his time. Lots going on at Norf so it’s hard to really know who’s role is what until some more preseason but I am almost certain LDU and Simpkin are their M1 and M2 for the time being with Wardlaw nipping at their heels if he stays fit

Not suggesting he is a good pick at the price but it is interesting that

After round 12
English - 119
Marshall - 124

Hayes obviously the watch and probably too much ruck value to go there, but if he was under that foot injury cloud for 70% of the season who knows where he could end up.

My biggest gripe with selecting Scott is this:
YearGamesAverage
4​
54.0​
13​
47.5​
17​
50.9​
21​
69.1​
23​
85.6​

His scoring is all over the shop. Its hard to know if last year was one out of the box. Back end of last year was great but Roos now have Mckercher who’s a highly rated outside type, word of Sheezel getting more mid/wing time, plus a fit Wardlaw which could mean guys like Simpkin and Thomas spend more time outside which is where Scott has spent all his time. Lots going on at Norf so it’s hard to really know who’s role is what until some more preseason but I am almost certain LDU and Simpkin are their M1 and M2 for the time being with Wardlaw nipping at their heels if he stays fit
Ratten gave him a change of role, Clarkson had discussions too. I've never said Scott is a lock or anything silly like that, just that you really need to look at his role again because that back end of season was compelling. It actually coincided with Wardlaw, not instead of it:

1704364264790.png
Round 10, Scott had his first ton of the season, Wardlaw had his first game. Scott went on to have 6 more tons and 4 x 90's. I agree there is so many unknowns at North, so many options. But they are not going to ignore what success they did have when Clarko was back holding the reins. That's all I said - Scott could be compelling again if he has finally found his role and needs to be a watch.

After round 12
English - 119
Marshall - 124

Hayes obviously the watch and probably too much ruck value to go there, but if he was under that foot injury cloud for 70% of the season who knows where he could end up.
He was my pick for highest average last year and certainly didn’t disappoint after a slowish start.

After round 12
English - 119
Marshall - 124

I’m keen on Marshall even at his price. Currently in my side as my only 1M player. He was absolutely dominant in the second half of the year and hopefully carry’s that on again as a lock and load C option.

I’m keen on Marshall even at his price. Currently in my side as my only 1M player. He was absolutely dominant in the second half of the year and hopefully carry’s that on again as a lock and load C option.
Dominant was certainly the right word, after the byes especially!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where are you going to get the money to do that?
This is the issue with trying to plan out any trades in the first 6 rounds.

Firstly, you are almost guarantee'd to have forced trades early on in the season. Secondly as you mentioned, almost impossible to generate that type of cash without weakening other areas of your side that early on.

Anyone else thinking of upgrading Gawn and Grundy on their byes?

Round 5 Grundy to English
Round 6 Gawn to Marshall
You banking on Gawn and Grundy to put on a bit of beef, or English and/or Marshall to haircuts?

I’m surprised at the lack of Xerri talk.
I'm not - not with the opportunity of Grundy there. These were his too outings without Goldstein, the others he was the dominant Ruck but with Goldy playing second fiddle (supposedly). Perhaps he tired, but his last four games were pretty underwhelming.

1704506686657.png

I was keen initially, but with Grundy numero uno at the Swans - he's more compelling at this stage. That could change though.

I'm not - not with the opportunity of Grundy there. These were his too outings without Goldstein, the others he was the dominant Ruck but with Goldy playing second fiddle (supposedly). Perhaps he tired, but his last four games were pretty underwhelming.

View attachment 1882605

I was keen initially, but with Grundy numero uno at the Swans - he's more compelling at this stage. That could change though.
Yeah if it weren’t for Grundy, Xerri would probably be in a lot more teams. I still like Xerri as an option but I reckon he’s capped around that 90 mark whereas Grundy could be a season long keeper at that price

Anyone rolling with English & Marshall as set and forget. Both seem clear standouts, good byes and separation on the rest

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Anyone rolling with English & Marshall as set and forget. Both seem clear standouts, good byes and separation on the rest

I think there’s too much value to go both of them this year. Gawn and Grundy you’d expect bridge the gap to those two this year and get fairly close for basement prices. I’m strongly considering starting one of them though as would be a nightmare trying to bring both in and at some stage you’ll likely need both

I think there’s too much value to go both of them this year. Gawn and Grundy you’d expect bridge the gap to those two this year and get fairly close for basement prices. I’m strongly considering starting one of them though as would be a nightmare trying to bring both in and at some stage you’ll likely need both
Yeah. I’m coming around to one of them now. Set and forget C. Unsure though as Gawn and Grundy both feel amazing vakue and you have to fade one. Can you get equivalent vakue in another line is the question for me

Had both at one stage ....just too much money tied up ...particularly having Grundy at such a bargain price

SYD always choose recruits wisely ....and very few fail

Need a reliable (C) .....so English and Grundy it is

Back