Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

Lmao said this would happen
Talk about a knee jerk reaction, how many people have been knocked out from a smother before, what’s next, ban the Bruzz.

The League has stated it is not intending to take the run down tackle out of the game but if you do……..you know where you go straight to and you might need a lawyer or two.

The proposed amendment to the smother they have suggested is just window dressing. It doesn’t change anything- he would still get off with that wording.

Maynard’s tribunal hearing covered that ground, or similar with duty of care?

The article says this, which is exactly what Bruzzy did, so he would still get off:

The proposed change for smothers will be that when a player leaves the ground in an attempt to make a smother, the player "must take all reasonable steps to avoid making contact with their opponent's head and/or minimise the force of any high contact".

It's just the AFL wanting to be seen to be doing something.

The article says this, which is exactly what Bruzzy did, so he would still get off:

The proposed change for smothers will be that when a player leaves the ground in an attempt to make a smother, the player "must take all reasonable steps to avoid making contact with their opponent's head and/or minimise the force of any high contact".

It's just the AFL wanting to be seen to be doing something.
Depends what the AFL define as reasonable steps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought I couldn't possibly love Bruzzy more than I already do. :blueheart:

What a courageous beautiful brute of a man.

Once again I’ve learned something more about the club, and the meticulous planning that went into this premiership over two years.

We’ve heard about Jacqui Louder’s influence on JDG, and how much she helped him. But Maynard talks at length about her too. It’s an eye opener.

We have Wade, we have Louder, and other ‘weapons’ at the club that we fans know little or nothing about.

Hope like hell we can squeeze another flag out of not just this playing group, but the staff too, before other clubs wave big $$ at them, and our IP is watered down.

Don't remind me of that comet tease.

Tried to see it as a kid in 1986 and failed miserably.

It’s no overstatement to say that still being around to see it in 2061, is a major bucket list item for me. I felt similarly robbed as a 8yo in 1986.

Once again I’ve learned something more about the club, and the meticulous planning that went into this premiership over two years.

We’ve heard about Jacqui Louder’s influence on JDG, and how much she helped him. But Maynard talks at length about her too. It’s an eye opener.

We have Wade, we have Louder, and other ‘weapons’ at the club that we fans know little or nothing about.

Hope like hell we can squeeze another flag out of not just this playing group, but the staff too, before other clubs wave big $$ at them, and our IP is watered down.

The simplistic view is always that the premiership resulted from the change from buckley to mcrae, and that was it. Anyone who has had anything to do with dealing with human beings will know life is more complicated. I think good choices were made across the board and many of them were given responsibility and had an impact. But it's not just the people who need to remain in place, it's the mindset to keep winning. Post premiership periods for collingwood teams have generally involved a lot of back-slapping and a loss of focus......lets see what happens

The proposed amendment to the smother they have suggested is just window dressing. It doesn’t change anything- he would still get off with that wording.
I read it differently. Isn't it that it gets graded as careless unless you can show that you made all reasonable attempts to avoid head high contact. So once Bruzzy had left the ground seeing him in his lane and freezing doesn't get you off. He would have had to put his arms out and try to fend Brayshaw away from head high contact or some other action.

It’s no overstatement to say that still being around to see it in 2061, is a major bucket list item for me. I felt similarly robbed as a 8yo in 1986.

According to Wikipedia:

The 1986 apparition of Halley's Comet was the least favourable on record. In February 1986, the comet and the Earth were on opposite sides of the Sun, creating the worst possible viewing circumstances for Earth observers during the previous 2,000 years.

The next perihelion of Halley's Comet is 28 July 2061, when it will be better positioned for observation than during the 1985–1986 apparition, as it will be on the same side of the Sun as Earth.

I read it differently. Isn't it that it gets graded as careless unless you can show that you made all reasonable attempts to avoid head high contact. So once Bruzzy had left the ground seeing him in his lane and freezing doesn't get you off. He would have had to put his arms out and try to fend Brayshaw away from head high contact or some other action.
Well, that was shown to be physically impossible by the bio-mechanic expert. The instinctual act of bracing (freezing) is not a conscious decision.

I'd say Bruzzy would still get off with the amendment because of the above.

I think the amendment may be wide enough to catch out ones (that rarely ever happen mind you) where a player charges in and no-one changes direction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back