Other Lawn bowls

Remove this Banner Ad

... have been in unbeaten teams three times in tournaments not won a cent.
A lot of the time it comes down to luck of the draw and the caliber of the field.

You can come up against some really good teams and just sneak through the game win but not win enough ends to make it count at the end of the day.

That's bowls.

It's also why I can't be arsed playing weekend tourneys anymore as you give up your whole day and it can end up being a raffle. Normally lose the bloody raffle too no matter how tickets you buy :laughing:.

A lot of the time it comes down to luck of the draw and the caliber of the field.

You can come up against some really good teams and just sneak through the game win but not win enough ends to make it count at the end of the day.

That's bowls.

It's also why I can't be arsed playing weekend tourneys anymore as you give up your whole day and it can end up being a raffle. Normally lose the bloody raffle too no matter how tickets you buy :laughing:.
Ha I agree I do it more for the social side of things but it can be frustrating if there are no play offs.
The only actual decent win I had this season was in the raffle at a tournament where I won a bowls bag !

Mark Jacobsen has been appointed coach at Keilor. I assume its playing coach.

Was a bit of a surprise for me, considering he was at Port Melbourne who have just been promoted to Div 1. But I think he is a Keilor old boy, so maybe some sentimentalism got the better of him. I hope he has a few mates to come and bolster our squad.

Did you stay at BM or move on? I played there yesterday. We were pretty even up to about 64 ends but BM pulled away to get up in the end. Nice club to play at.
I stayed. Looks like I played against you.

Small world.

Well, there you go.

Sorry, I would have stayed longer for a chat and shared a beer with you after the game but my passenger - my mother in law who was on rink 3 - was in a mood to get back to the club.

I’ll catch you in the return bout ;).
No drama at all mate.

It was a good contest.

Well, there you go.

Sorry, I would have stayed longer for a chat and shared a beer with you after the game but my passenger - my mother in law who was on rink 3 - was in a mood to get back to the club.

I’ll catch you in the return bout ;).
How'd you go today mate?

How'd you go today mate?
Lousy to be honest.

Got up all round but I and my rink were underwhelming. Hard to win a game of pennant when you only win 7 ends. Oppo skip kept getting the first and second to change hands after putting down their first bowl. Never experienced that before.

Anyway, off to COM next week.

How'd your lot go?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lousy to be honest.

Got up all round but I and my rink were underwhelming. Hard to win a game of pennant when you only win 7 ends. Oppo skip kept getting the first and second to change hands after putting down their first bowl. Never experienced that before.

Anyway, off to COM next week.

How'd your lot go?
It was fairly close all day overall but we pulled away In the last half a dozen ends. I think there was a 5, 4, 4, and 2 across the board in 4 ends ... that was the game. We won by 23 overall.

Our rink couldn't do a thing wrong and our usual skip was out. We got up 28-9.

16 points at Werribee, we'll take that every day.

We're playing Friday night this week.

Had a couple of games out after having cataracts done but we are unbeaten in Div 1 this year in Ballarat so far. Double header this weekend first game against the bottom club the sunday game against the team that gave us a hiding in the grand final last year. Wish it was the other way around but both games at home so hopefully win both.

Got relegated midweek ...we were in so many games and fell away last six or seven ends (three draws as well) very frustrating.
But only lost one game in Div 1 weekend , guaranteed top spot regardless of what happens tomorrow. So some good news.

Good luck tomorrow kriles76
Thanks mate.

Our season is done. Paul Dorgan ragdolled our rink again.

We were down 45-9 at one stage on the allround board and at least fought back to lose by 10 or 11 so I’m proud we put a yelp. I played alright but the rest of our rink was comprehensively beaten. I think there’ll be changes at Keilor next season.

Close one at the Marsh?

At least the boy’s team got up against Glenroy today. Sunbury have to back it up at Flem-Ken tmrw and they were flogged by them by 50 or 60 shots a few weeks ago on that deck so it’ll be a tough game.

In better news, the boy (year 11) and my year 9 daughter who was bowling second to him (first year bowler) helped get PEGS into the AGSV bowls final at City of Heidelberg this morning.

Good luck tmrw, mate.

Last edited:
My 16 and 14-year-old helped PEGS to win the AGSV bowls final last Saturday. Hey, the competition wasn't elite but a win's a win. I think they go on to play the winners of the APS and other school comps in May.

The 14-year-old got through to the final of her club mixed pairs last night helping to beat a couple of ex-Victorian players in the process. She bowled great for a first-year bowler - so proud of her. She has to play a world champ and a very good Div 1 skip in the final, but anything's possible.

I'm still alive in my club triples - still yet to play the semi.

My 16 and 14-year-old helped PEGS to win the AGSV bowls final last Saturday. Hey, the competition wasn't elite but a win's a win. I think they go on to play the winners of the APS and other school comps in May.

The 14-year-old got through to the final of her club mixed pairs last night helping to beat a couple of ex-Victorian players in the process. She bowled great for a first-year bowler - so proud of her. She has to play a world champ and a very good Div 1 skip in the final, but anything's possible.

I'm still alive in my club triples - still yet to play the semi.
It blows my mind that there is a school bowls competition. We don't even have enough juniors for a full WA state team in some years.

It blows my mind that there is a school bowls competition. We don't even have enough juniors for a full WA state team in some years.
Go to the education department and start bowls for kids on the spectrum.
They won't get bullied.
They have bullet proof memories.
They are looked after by all club members
Thier parents are rapt that thier child is accepted.
Win win for all concerned, especially the game of bowls

Essendon Bowls Club are under intense scrutiny right now. Their marquee player from Tassie qualified for the finals by being put on the team list in their Div 5 side the day there was a washout.
But that game got through 30 ends before being called off and he strangely managed to get through a full game of pennant back home in Tassie on the very same day.
I spoke to a Prem skip on Saturday and he was ropable.
Talk of Essendon being stripped of their title and either Whittlesea being awarded the flag or having a playoff with FV.
Cheating and Essendon? Who would’ve thunk it.

I got back into bowls
Used to play a LOT of junior bowls as a kid (should have won a State U18's title 6 years ago in what was easily my most frustrating sports moment ever.

Basically as a country kid, I came up for my last year of eligibility for State events at the U18 level. A kid from my club won the country singles a few years before so I wanted to do well. Then the kid who I was supposed to play with pulled out leaving me in the lurch and basically since I was staying with him

Country singles went ok, but I lost to the winner 21-15 eventually.

Fours was super lame. Because I wasnt as well known compared to the city players and players from bigger towns, I got stuck with a bunch of 7 year olds. Lost the first game something like 25-15 then played effectively the State girls team. First 5 ends we crossed over (i.e I was skipping and we changed ends having bowled 6 bowls for each teams) 28-0 down. I remember this because I marked it on the scorecard for shits and giggles. We were 4-4 at that point and eventually lost 30-8 or something as it is very difficult to win games crossing over 5 down with no bowls behind jack hi.

Pairs was better, but again, we had the overall winning team in my group. We won two games but lost the effective final of our group by a few shots. Again, difficult to play when consistantly going for my last two bowls down 3 or 4 shots.

Singles was the most interesting. I left my bowls at home (A 3 hour trip lol) and had to borrow a set, and was called out on it by the main organisers. First game I play some little kid and destroy him 21-1 while trying to only score 1 per end so I can get as many practice ends with the new bowls (new Vectors compared to my set of Drakes Pride Internationals).

In the "final" of the group I played the kid who beat me the year before. Normally we play in groups of 3 but the year before due to odd numbers we played a group of 2 best of 3 match. I lost 21-18, 15-21, 21-9 with the first game being longer then a few of the other groups because we basically killed every third end and only ever scored singles almost the entire game.

This year I crushed him 21-9 and earnt a match vs the previous years bowler of the year. He had a particularly loud Dad/coach and I overheard him talking about his quarter-final match the next day because he was obviously always going to beat me.

I played some of my best bowls ever including probably the greatest shot of my life. He held 1 but I had 2 seconds all within 2 feet of the jack. I couldnt really see his bowl to move it out of the way, and managed to play just around a short front bowl and moved it exactly one revolution, enough to change 1 down to 3 up with every bowl. That put me into the lead and I eventually won 21-15 to go into the quarter finals vs a kid named Matthew Mitchell.

MM beat me in the pairs and I was out for revenge. Early on I played pretty well and at one stage led 10-4 first to 21. But he came back and played a few amazing conversion shots to leave the score 18-17 in his favour with me having last bowl.

With one bowl left to play each, I held a close one with Matt holding two seconds. Matt elected to drive even though I had the back covered. This was interesting because had he hit it he would have clattered into my bowl, a toucher, and probably gone out of bounds, leaving me probably holding two or three and having 4 metres to draw a 3rd or 4th which would almost be the game.

Instead, he narrowly missed inside and caused no damage. Since I held everything at the back I elected to play with a tiny bit of weight intending to move the jack one foot back in a chance to possibly collect 4 and the match. I considered it impossible to get under his short bowl and as such it couldnt go wrong.

Obviously because I was using the new bowls I came underneath, moved my bowl half a revolution and went down 2 in a fourway measure to be stuck 20-17. I won the next end to have a glimmer of hope but on the last end Matt was able to draw inside my shot bowl to within 2 inches to win the game and eventually took the title as well.

I mention his name because since I have quit and never really looked to pick it up again. Matt plays top level bowls in WA at the adult level and has qualfied for national and international events in the last 5 years.

-----------------

Anyway, if I was taking it up aged between 20-45 I would make sure I knew people down at the club. Bowls is fun, but more then once a blue moon you really want to enjoy the company, which while you will almost certainly do, it can be annoying dealing with those you dont like as well as having a beer at the bar while you would rather be with mates.

Couldnt promote the game more as a social activity though.

That was 2011 me talking.

12 years on gave it a go this year coming back and have loved every minute. Only downside is I am at a small club with only a Div 3 as the top side (Perth has Premier (10 teams) One White (10) One Blue (20 teams) 2nd div (40 teams) above us and the standard isn't super high.

Two promtion battles this week plus a club singles championship Friday night (16 starters now into the final vs a top side skip after having beaten two other top side skips). A 2nd.div and under event next week in Osborne Park as well I would like to do well in followed by the off season.

If anyone ITT in Perth ever wants a game of 21 up let me know I'm keen to play (I work FIFO so miss half the pennant games).

Next year I might try and move to a club with a bit of a higher level or at least play in some higher standard events. My drawing is at a pretty high level that wouldn't be too out of place in the top two divisions but the rest of my game is pretty average atm. Have had 3 practice singles games with Premier Div bowlers for a 21-14 loss, 21-20 loss, 21-18 win so far. So it's been fun coming back.

Hopefully I can post on the weekend as a club champion!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back