Player Watch Lachie Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t get the hate towards him. Bloke has been in our better half of players. Problem is the pick 20 something we thought we traded for him might become a top 5, and no one saw that coming.
No one?!
Go back and read the trade thread - lots of comments about worst case scenario and having another 2021 finish

I honestly don’t think people have hate for Schultz, they have serious hate for the trade (lachie might be the whipping boy of that frustration)

No one?!
Go back and read the trade thread - lots of comments about worst case scenario and having another 2021 finish

I honestly don’t think people have hate for Schultz, they have serious hate for the trade (lachie might be the whipping boy of that frustration)

People were talking about a potential worst case scenario (which I agree with wouldn’t have made the trade worthwhile), but anyone who claims they actually believed we were going to start this badly is lying. The same people who were celebrated for trading our way to a premiership now are hated in the span of 3 footy games.

Praying the team can turn it around 🙏

I don’t get the hate towards him. Bloke has been in our better half of players. Problem is the pick 20 something we thought we traded for him might become a top 5, and no one saw that coming.
It is not hate that is being exhibited towards him. It is simply that he is not worth a 1st Round Draft Choice & his addition to our list simply exacerbates the problem of having an under-sized forward line which is totally bereft of any imposing & competent key forwards (apart from an aging & battered & worn-out Mihocek). Once again we have over paid for what JACK DYER used to call "a good ordinary footballer", if that. Sometimes you just have to call it as you see it. By the way do we have any picks in the 2024 mid-season draft? If so, I would be forensically scouring every league in Australia - city & country - to find some potential key forward let alone in the VFL, SANFL, & WAFL, respectively. Goodnight & goodluck.

People were talking about a potential worst case scenario (which I agree with wouldn’t have made the trade worthwhile), but anyone who claims they actually believed we were going to start this badly is lying. The same people who were celebrated for trading our way to a premiership now are hated in the span of 3 footy games.

Praying the team can turn it around 🙏
I’m also hoping we turn it around - my anger isn’t at you and we will always love our club.

However, celebrating a trade period (2022) in which we didn’t trade a pick higher than Rd 2 doesn’t mean supporters can’t be furious about trading a future first - it doesn’t mean the club is immune from serious criticism.
There were also comments in pre season about our first 5-6 weeks and the potential disaster it could be.

What I will say WUP, whether we start 0-3 or 3-0, doesn’t change the cost of the trade during a dangerous period due to an aging list / inclusion of Tasmania

It is not hate that is being exhibited towards him. It is simply that he is not worth a 1st Round Draft Choice & his addition to our list simply exacerbates the problem of having an under-sized forward line which is totally bereft of any imposing & competent key forwards (apart from an aging & battered & worn-out Mihocek). Once again we have over paid for what JACK DYER used to call "a good ordinary footballer", if that. Sometimes you just have to call it as you see it. By the way do we have any picks in the 2024 mid-season draft? If so, I would be forensically scouring every league in Australia - city & country - to find some potential key forward let alone in the VFL, SANFL, & WAFL, respectively. Goodnight & goodluck.
Schultzy is better than that and has proven it on a number of occasions in big games. He has been involved in three games with a struggling backline and battling midfield so the ball is coming in less often and usually delivery is under serious heat so the pill is often at the forwards' feet or over their heads as we saw so often tonight. If he had played last year he would have kicked some bags.

I’m also hoping we turn it around - my anger isn’t at you and we will always love our club.

However, celebrating a trade period (2022) in which we didn’t trade a pick higher than Rd 2 doesn’t mean supporters can’t be furious about trading a future first - it doesn’t mean the club is immune from serious criticism.
There were also comments in pre season about our first 5-6 weeks and the potential disaster it could be.

What I will say WUP, whether we start 0-3 or 3-0, doesn’t change the cost of the trade during a dangerous period due to an aging list / inclusion of Tasmania

I agree with you and the club should be criticised when appropriate. I’m likely just coping and hoping we miraculously turn it around. After all, no one saw GWS getting so close to a GF last season.

The future objectively looks bleak for the club with how little talent we having coming through outside of lucking out on a generational F/S player. So I saw this trade as a gamble for a second flag before our legends all retire. After which we will be destined to bottom out for a while. That’s why I’m not shitting on Lachie/front office yet, because I’m hoping our performances so far are not going to be indicative of how we play for the rest of 2024.

TLDR: pray

Was always going to take time. Thought he improved again tonight. That smother was a thing of beauty.

Not sure why there’s so much whining about the trade. It’s done, move on.
A shame Degoey didn't apply the same pressure and smother when given the opportunity. I recall twice in the game where Degoey basically gave up or put a hand out.

Was always going to take time. Thought he improved again tonight. That smother was a thing of beauty.

Not sure why there’s so much whining about the trade. It’s done, move on.
It came at too high a cost! So what happens if we have a very poor year or even mediocre year & we end up with potential Ist round draft choice in the top 10? It goes to Fremantle!!! To me that is far too high a price when we did not really need another small forward. Once again we have taken ourselves out of the 1st Round of a National Draft. It is all about planning for both current & future priorities. Recruiting Schultz was not a priority. At best he was worth a couple of 2nd Round picks & perhaps a player if people are so convinced about him taking us to the promised land! Let's see how many goals he kicks next week against Brisbane. Yes, it is important to move on but only if your learn from your mistakes.

It came at too high a cost! So what happens if we have a very poor year or even mediocre year & we end up with potential Ist round draft choice in the top 10? It goes to Fremantle!!! To me that is far too high a price when we did not really need another small forward. Once again we have taken ourselves out of the 1st Round of a National Draft. It is all about planning for both current & future priorities. Recruiting Schultz was not a priority. At best he was worth a couple of 2nd Round picks & perhaps a player if people are so convinced about him taking us to the promised land! Let's see how many goals he kicks next week against Brisbane. Yes, it is important to move on but only if your learn from your mistakes.
Hindsight can be a powerful thing. Every media commentator called his recruitment one of the steals of the year. He has been more the past two weeks in a team that has been in horrid form. Give the man a season before you rip into him. He will be of great value in the next five years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hindsight can be a powerful thing. Every media commentator called his recruitment one of the steals of the year. He has been more the past two weeks in a team that has been in horrid form. Give the man a season before you rip into him. He will be of great value in the next five years.
Steals? Please show me where.

We clearly paid overs to pry a player out that is in a position where we already had a surplus of depth.

Steals? Please show me where.

We clearly paid overs to pry a player out that is in a position where we already had a surplus of depth.
David King raved about his inclusion over the summer as did other commentators of repute. Funny how a team of coaches who got us within a point of a grand final in their first season together and then won us a flag in their second season suddenly have no idea about the needs of our team going forward and have decided to recruit a player we don't need and use a future draft pick to get him just for kicks.

What’s incredible is this isn’t the first time we’ve traded a future first to only blow up in our face, we don’t seem to learn.

I didn’t want Schultz, was happy to wait till this year to grab him as a FA. But adding an elite player, in this case an elite small forward, to a premiership side is never a mistake.

What’s incredible is this isn’t the first time we’ve traded a future first to only blow up in our face, we don’t seem to learn.
I'd say supporters don't seem to learn. You are writing off a player after three games in which the entire team has been in very poor form. He is a proven player with great ability and will be an asset in the years to come.

It's not just Schultz who is struggling it's basically the entire team hard to think of a player who has played ok in the 3 games. Skills are very bad can't even hit a target with a handball and kicking even worse. If we was playing like last season and before we would be talking what a gun recruit he is. He will come good as will the team surely can't get any worse I hope.

I'd say supporters don't seem to learn. You are writing off a player after three games in which the entire team has been in very poor form. He is a proven player with great ability and will be an asset in the years to come.
No, all of our future first trades have gone awry, in other words these are mistakes, and if we continue down this path there is no way Schultz is worth a top 5 draft pick, so I really don’t know what you are talking about,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back