News All things Tasmania Footy Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Rosalie Woodruff says she supports Tasmania's fledgling AFL team the Devils, but says the Greens do not support the proposed Hobart stadium.

"I am a proud foundation member of the Tasmanian Devils like I'm sure so many other people in this room are. And I'm committed to defending our team and our colours and the Greens will hold firm in standing up to the whimsy is of the AFL.

"We know having a love of football doesn't have to equal support for a stadium.

"This generation of Tasmanians needs a parliament of leaders working to tackle the health, housing and unfolding climate crisis. They don't need a billion-dollar stadium, when we have a perfectly good one at York Park. That is where the heart of AFL and AFL football should remain permanently."

Rosalie Woodruff says she supports Tasmania's fledgling AFL team the Devils, but says the Greens do not support the proposed Hobart stadium.

"I am a proud foundation member of the Tasmanian Devils like I'm sure so many other people in this room are. And I'm committed to defending our team and our colours and the Greens will hold firm in standing up to the whimsy is of the AFL.

"We know having a love of football doesn't have to equal support for a stadium.

"This generation of Tasmanians needs a parliament of leaders working to tackle the health, housing and unfolding climate crisis. They don't need a billion-dollar stadium, when we have a perfectly good one at York Park. That is where the heart of AFL and AFL football should remain permanently."
Poor woman if she thinks that's a solution.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Another batshit crazy idea from the Greens that totally disregards the plan and rationale for a Hobart-based club (playing 4 games in Launceston) that was outlined in the business case for the AFL team. Some of the main concerns that the AFL commission and its clubs’ had with the license bid were player and staff retention, high performance centre facilities, attendances and game day revenue.

A Launceston-based club (or a Hobart-based club playing most or all of its games in Launceston) will come up short in all of these key areas (compared with a Hobart-based club that plays most of its games at a new, roofed stadium in Hobart). After all, Launceston is a regional city of just 100k that lacks the same level of community services, amenities and opportunities that can be found in the state capital, and is also 5 hour round trip from Hobart.

There is no way that the AFL commission and the league’s 18 clubs would vote for a Tasmanian club to receive a license to operate under those different conditions. It would be a far more risky venture right from the beginning, likely to exceed Gold Coast’s first ten years in terms of issues with player retention and poor on-field performances.

I am from Launceston and it certainly has some attributes as a town, but at its current size, it will never be able to host a full-time AFL club. Nor will a Hobart-based club ever attract or retain players if it expects them to travel for 5hrs on the road whenever they need to play a home game. “The Greens” and “logic”, two terms that should never be uttered in the same sentence.

Last edited:
Another batshit crazy idea from the Greens that totally disregards the plan and rationale for a Hobart-based club (playing 4 games in Launceston) that was outlined in the business case for the AFL team. Some of the main concerns that the AFL commission and its clubs’ had with the license bid were player and staff retention, high performance centre facilities, attendances and game day revenue.

A Launceston-based club (or a Hobart-based club playing most or all of its games in Launceston) will come up short in all of these key areas (compared with a Hobart-based club that plays most of its games at a new, roofed stadium in Hobart). After all, Launceston is a regional city of just 100k that lacks the same level of community services, amenities and opportunities that can be found in the state capital, and is also 5 hour round trip from Hobart.

There is no way that the AFL commission and the league’s 18 clubs would vote for a Tasmanian club to receive a license to operate under those different conditions. It would be a far more risky venture right from the beginning, likely to exceed Gold Coast’s first ten years in terms of issues with player retention and poor on-field performances.

I am from Launceston and it certainly has some attributes as a town, but at its current size, it will never be able to host a full-time AFL club. Nor will a Hobart-based club ever attract or retain players if it expects them to travel for 5hrs on the road whenever they need to play a home game. “The Greens” and “logic”, two terms that should never be uttered in the same sentence.
Brisbane bears playing on the gold coast would be the best analogy

Brisbane bears playing on the gold coast would be the best analogy
That was a wildly unsuccessful period in Brisbane’s history and yet, that doesn’t come close to being as impractical as what the Greens are proposing in Tassie. The coast is only one hour away from Brisbane and SE QLD is much better connected transport-wise and culturally. SE Qld is more of a cohesive region because it doesn’t have the same historical regional rivalries like there is between Northern and Southern Tasmania that would probably result in one region becoming disgruntled if it was completely overlooked in favour of another.

That was a wildly unsuccessful period in Brisbane’s history and yet, that doesn’t come close to being as impractical as what the Greens are proposing in Tassie. The coast is only one hour away from Brisbane and SE QLD is much better connected transport-wise and culturally. SE Qld is more of a cohesive region because it doesn’t have the same historical regional rivalries like there is between Northern and Southern Tasmania that would probably result in one region becoming disgruntled if it was completely overlooked in favour of another.
Having the team based up here in Launceston is an awful idea in my opinion and I'm a Scottsdale boy.

It still baffles me how anyone could think it's a bad thing. You spend money ( including federal and AFL money that otherwise disappears back to the mainland) but reap the rewards for the next 100 years. Those rewards being, employment, economy, population growth and tourism. Not to mention some of Australia's best health professionals working for AFL Tas and the team. People like to be negative because it's how they can be apart of an unruly group, make connections with other negative people and feel like as a collective they're being heard.

It still baffles me how anyone could think it's a bad thing. You spend money ( including federal and AFL money that otherwise disappears back to the mainland) but reap the rewards for the next 100 years. Those rewards being, employment, economy, population growth and tourism. Not to mention some of Australia's best health professionals working for AFL Tas and the team. People like to be negative because it's how they can be apart of an unruly group, make connections with other negative people and feel like as a collective they're being heard.
Well put.
Its just the fact that many people can only think in binary terms. They think its an either/or proposition. The politics of this hasn't changed. The ALP tried to wedge the northern vote over this issue, they ended up wedging themselves.
They have internal pressures from construction unions & Business to build things like the Stadium. Its an important piece of infrastructure. The longer term benefit are just as you say.
It'll be a while before we see the absolute results for the Parliament. The negotiations will be going on a lot earlier than that!

Most probable result

LIB 15
ALP 10
GRN 5
JLN 3
IND 2 (Johnston, O'Byrne)

LIB 15 + JHN 3 = 18 and government, but nobody knows who the 3 JLN members will be and all of them have different thoughts on all sorts of different issues ... inevitable they will all split and go their different ways within 18 mths

Bit of chutzpah from the White if she thinks she can become Premier off 10 seats (and the lowest ALP vote in history) even then 10 ALP + 5 GRN + 2 left leaning IND (although O'Byrne is a wildcard given his recent ALP history) only equals 17

Once again it comes down to the 3 JLN people

It's gonna be a dogs breakfast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most probable result

LIB 15
ALP 10
GRN 5
JLN 3

LIB 15 + JHN 3 = 18 and government, but nobody knows who the 3 JLN members will be and all of them have different thoughts on all sorts of different issues ... inevitable they will all split and go their different ways within 18 mths

Bit of chutzpah from the White if she thinks she can become Premier off 10 seats (and the lowest ALP vote in history) even then 10 ALP + 5 GRN + 2 left leaning IND (although O'Byrne is a wildcard given his recent ALP history) only equals 17

DOB is pro-stadium fyi.

Most probable result

LIB 15
ALP 10
GRN 5
JLN 3

Will the Libs be able to deal with JLN noting Lambie' anti-stadium stance? Can the stadium get through put the Libs will need to compromise with other policies to get JLN on board?

I'm confused. What does this mean? greens will have balance of power, won't they? So that means they give the finger to the AFL!
Surely York Park is good enough to host a team from Tassie?

I'm confused. What does this mean? greens will have balance of power, won't they? So that means they give the finger to the AFL!
Surely York Park is good enough to host a team from Tassie?
An upgraded York Park might be good enough to host a team, but Launceston as a city will not cut the mustard. They cannot base an AFL club in a city that small. They also can’t be based in Hobart and travel to Launceston for their home games.

OK that's even more confusing. What about upgrading the Hobart stadium?
* the AFL, it's the Tassie people that should own this team, not some Vicco's throbbing their own members.
If the Greens have the balance of power, they won't let the Libs finance a stadium

OK that's even more confusing. What about upgrading the Hobart stadium?
* the AFL, it's the Tassie people that should own this team, not some Vicco's throbbing their own members.
If the Greens have the balance of power, they won't let the Libs finance a stadium

Its up to the POSS process. Then they vote. I doubt the ALP will oppose it if it means no team + a lot of Labor people & construction unions want the infrastructure jobs. So its a long way from dead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back