NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

park orchard pretty impressive against mooroolbark . barkers have a lot of work to do . did get told they had a guy recruited from darwin play today 44 years of age in the midfield . number 15 ....

I had to show a few people how to set it up on their phones yesterday. Let's hope it's just teething problems.

I know there’s been some whinging at other leagues about the live scoring, apparently you have to do it by individual player. Which is fine except nobody ever knows who the opposition players are so can’t enter them.

I know there’s been some whinging at other leagues about the live scoring, apparently you have to do it by individual player. Which is fine except nobody ever knows who the opposition players are so can’t enter them.
Team Stats is going to win the goal kicking in each division comfortably.

Should we bring a points system in for junior football sides including senior women,personally getting sick of clubs poaching other clubs top junior players.Realise a lot will disagree with me but No.1 for junior football is to get a team on the park,give all players game time including the battlers and "lastly" win the game.

I'm not going to try to defend any clubs on that front (you all have more idea than me of what actually happens in the EFNL's juniors) - my experience is that players are pretty good at recruiting players, and while you want your best kids to get the opportunity to play Vic Metro and NAB League development stuff, there's also a risk attached to them going if they're not playing Div1 footy at their own club. I know coaches who refused to pass on invitations to Chargers trials etc

As was the case during the cricket season just gone, PlayHQ will take a good month or two for clubs to adjust. It is very much a complicated piece of software.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should we bring a points system in for junior football sides including senior women,personally getting sick of clubs poaching other clubs top junior players.Realise a lot will disagree with me but No.1 for junior football is to get a team on the park,give all players game time including the battlers and "lastly" win the game.
It's farcical and in many cases ego-driven. It happens in other sports and, in the Outer East, a basketball league is investigating a team that poached players by paying them. That's OK but I am talking U8's and U10. This is all driven by a Team Manager who wants to win no matter what.

It's farcical and in many cases ego-driven. It happens in other sports and, in the Outer East, a basketball league is investigating a team that poached players by paying them. That's OK but I am talking U8's and U10. This is all driven by a Team Manager who wants to win no matter what.

After a match the father of my 14s ruckman had an offer from a well known Premier club to pay his school fees if he played for them.

Obviously it’s increased since the introduction of the points system which makes a player who plays three years of juniors a one point player.

Grab them at 14/15 and by the time they’ve finished junior footy they’re a one pointer.

Check the transfers for the odd single, random player going to Vermont. Do a little bit of research and find he’s a gun 14yo.

Pretty simple adjustment I think? You can only have one home club as a junior - once you’ve qualified at one club, you can’t have a second “home club”.

Dispensation if your club folds and you have to go to another, of course.

Would have an impact, I think.

I heard from a relative of the family that at least one U19.5 player at Vermont is being paid. He is also at Eastern Ranges, along with 4 other players. Maybe all 5 are being paid?

I heard from a relative of the family that at least one U19.5 player at Vermont is being paid. He is also at Eastern Ranges, along with 4 other players. Maybe all 5 are being paid?

Being paid if they play 1s or just to play 19s? It wouldn't be uncommon for good 19s to have contracts and payment if they play 1s.

Also not uncommon for good 19s to be looked after with uniform and waiving of club fees etc.

Last edited:
It's not uncommon for clubs to pay players fees and provide club gear as part of their remuneration as it's not part of the salary cap.

Should we bring a points system in for junior football sides including senior women,personally getting sick of clubs poaching other clubs top junior players.Realise a lot will disagree with me but No.1 for junior football is to get a team on the park,give all players game time including the battlers and "lastly" win the game

It would be so much better if they could put some more time and effort into the junior grading. These early round games are a joke. They have 11 teams in 15A and 7 in 15B.
Should have been 8 in 15A & 10 in 15B

It's not uncommon for clubs to pay players fees and provide club gear as part of their remuneration as it's not part of the salary cap.
To you and Cliff I see no U19 team for South Croydon now and East Ringwood looking for a practice match against some one.East Burwood have a bye in D2 this week also so why not both clubs get together and have a game.

To you and Cliff I see no U19 team for South Croydon now and East Ringwood looking for a practice match against some one.East Burwood have a bye in D2 this week also so why not both clubs get together and have a game.
I'd be up for it and in saying that I have no input. I guess East Ringwood could approach East Burwood and ask. Also, where do they play? Whatever ground would have to be OK with another game being played and possibly being ripped up due to the weather. Also, how do they go with charging people through the gate for the first game as it's a practice match? Wiser heads may prevail but commonsense is nonexistent these days.

Article in the Leader today confirming a player shortage at Berwick and the rallying of a Dads Army of former champions who are going to play reserves.

What on earth is going on down there? If I had to nominate a club that would never have issues with playing numbers I reckon Berwick would be #1. They have 20+ junior teams and two U19 teams. How on earth can they be short of players?

Article in the Leader today confirming a player shortage at Berwick and the rallying of a Dads Army of former champions who are going to play reserves.

What on earth is going on down there? If I had to nominate a club that would never have issues with playing numbers I reckon Berwick would be #1. They have 20+ junior teams and two U19 teams. How on earth can they be short of players?
Usually, if you are short in Reserve players and you have an abundance of U19s, then some U19s play both. Mind you depends on how short the Reserves are.

Last edited:

Warrandyte have the same issue right now. Posting on social media looking for players, first time in a very long time only 3 named on the reserves bench, 1 on the 19's bench. Belted round 1 by a promoted side in the 1's, Looking grim unless they can see some sharp improvement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back