Autopsy Rd 8: Dogs battle bravely and come up just short against Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome aboard brother, been like this since the Melbourne game after naively getting my hopes up in the preseason

Preseason I thought we’d either go up to the top 5 or down to the bottom 5. I got the answer to that last week and cemented this week.

Biggest issue now is we don’t have that likely top 5 pick

First mind-boggling part
We seemingly have a bunch of talented millionaire players, or players that will command million dollar money if they leave. These players can't beat a team that genuinely struggled to make it to the cap floor.

Second mind-boggling part
The administration that watches these talented players underperform for a solid two years now, does not make the change required for the members and the supporters to see some improvement. Why is ameet bains still here? HOW IS THE COACH STILL HERE?

Third mind-boggling part
Luke Beveridge, Rohan Smith, and the administration of this football club sat there and watched the team back off the mark, apply no ball pressure to the ball carrier, and thought this zoning system was acceptable for an AFL football team for a WHOLE YEAR. This left lasting, poisonous habits on a list of players who now think the absolute bare minimum of defensive pressure outside of our D50 is acceptable. Nothing has changed here with the new coaching appointments. Our pressure game is abysmal.

Fourth mind-boggling part
We will have one of the most expensive key forward groups in the competition. They will have genuine trouble stringing together half an AFL standard defense with this money imbalance. With this in mind, our forwards consistently crash into each other. Matt Spangher is STILL our forward line coach.

The TLDR: It is wild that Luke Beveridge still coaches this team. The past two years have been a giant waste of time.
5th mind boggling part

Every new player we get says we do running completely different than everyone else Yet we continue with this pre season training idea while getting run off the ground when the real thing starts

I think a big part of the problem is our forward half pressure, the amount of times we kick it straight to the opposition in our forward half and the way we defend kick ins is pathetic. We consistently race the ball forward only to then turn it straight over. That makes it near impossible for our back 6 to defend. It’s a team wide issue.
For some reason we’ve been obsessed since 2019 with playing 3-4 very tall KPFs despite it never having worked for us. Weightman and VDM (for his sins) work hard to lock it in. West too, but it isn’t enough (and 2 were out this week).

The other thing is watching high balls slip through our forwards’ fingers time and time again only to get swept away by opposition defenders.

Last edited:
Don't watch a massive amount of games outside of ours. Any comparative forward lines have the same issue of 2, or 3 KPFs hitting the same marking contest and stuffing it up 80-90% of the time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For some reason we’ve been obsessed since 2019 with playing 3-4 very tall KPFs despite it never having worked for us. Weightman and VDM (for his sins) work hard to lock it in. West too, but it isn’t enough (and 2 were out this week).

The other thing is watch high balls slip through our forwards’ fingers time and time again only to get swept away by opposition defenders.

I’d guess if you put the team selection/talls issue to the other 17 head coaches a decent chunk of them would do something different - Naughton back, English forward/ruck, drop any of them if they’re underperforming consistently.

All Bevo does is rotate Lobb and Darcy in/out of the team as third KPF/second ruck. It’s not ****ing working, but he refuses to change. It’s baffling.

The stubbornness is ridiculous. Forget that you might get a bunch of “told you so”s from the idiots in the media, try something different ffs.

Don't watch a massive amount of games outside of ours. Any comparative forward lines have the same issue of 2, or 3 KPFs hitting the same marking contest and stuffing it up 80-90% of the time?
It's not just our forwards. When there's space on the wing or back 50, we have 3 guys all work into the same spot and ruin it for each other.

We have no idea how to create space for each other

It happens, but with nowhere near the same frequency.

The forward line is not being coached at all, or being coached horrifically, or there is some basic/competent coaching around this but Naughton and JUH are incapable of following instructions or wilfully ignoring them.

Not sure which option would be worse tbh.

VDM refuses to contest marks yet he gets selected at CHF week after week. Clutching at straws

When has Vanders lined up as a Centre Half Forward?

Are you confusing player positions?

He’s a small forward half player. Do you want him contesting marks or crumbing the drop?

He’s a small forward half player. Do you want him contesting marks or crumbing the drop?
Not letting Amon take an uncontested mark in our 50 with the game on the line while he refused to contest would be a good start.

I’d guess if you put the team selection/talls issue to the other 17 head coaches a decent chunk of them would do something different - Naughton back, English forward/ruck, drop any of them if they’re underperforming consistently.

All Bevo does is rotate Lobb and Darcy in/out of the team as third KPF/second ruck. It’s not ******* working, but he refuses to change. It’s baffling.

The stubbornness is ridiculous. Forget that you might get a bunch of “told you so”s from the idiots in the media, try something different ffs.
Playing devil’s advocate, it might be that when other things are working then it does come off, like it did against St Kilda, and he doesn’t think it’s the reason we don’t win.

Having said that it’s never really looked like working sustainably.

I have no issue with Naughton forward because he’s the only one that reliably puts on pressure. JUH and Darcy command a spot in the side I think.

Anyway we’ll find out what another coach wants to do soon enough I guess.

He’s been named at CHF a few times this season, his game across the forward line this afternoon is where he refused to make contests for marks. Twice on the lead he stops and tries to tunnel his opponent forcing the ball behind

Remove this Banner Ad

Back