Preview Freo v Hawks, Sat 19 May, 2.10pm AEST @ Aurora - Who will win?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pavs_Risotto

Team Captain
Apr 5, 2010
East Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Points of Interest:
  • Hayden Ballantyne plays game 50, while Buddy Franklin plays his 150th game, and Clint Young plays game 100.
  • Both teams show similar key stats so far this year, particularly with disposals and disposal efficiency, as well as tackling stats.
  • Forecast is for light winds on a mostly sunny 17' day.

Teams:

FREMANTLE
B: Garrick Ibbotson, Zac Dawson, Dylan Roberton
HB: Michael Johnson, Luke McPharlin, Tendai Mzungu
C: Paul Duffield, Ryan Crowley, Stephen Hill
HF: Matthew de Boer, Christopher Mayne, Clancee Pearce
F: Hayden Ballantyne, Matthew Pavlich, Zachary Clarke
Foll: Aaron Sandilands, David Mundy, Michael Barlow
I/C: Jay van Berlo, Greg Broughton, Lachie Neale, Lee Spurr
Emg: Jesse Crichton, Alex Silvagni, Jonathon Griffin
In: Jay van Berlo
Out: Adam McPhee

HAWTHORN
B: Brent Guerra, Stephen Gilham, Josh Gibson
HB: Grant Birchall, Ryan Schoenmakers, Benjamin Stratton
C: Isaac Smith, Sam Mitchell, Jordan Lewis
HF: Cyril Rioli, Lance Franklin, Shaun Burgoyne
F: Luke Breust, Jarryd Roughead, Paul Puopolo
Foll: David Hale, Brad Sewell, Liam Shiels
I/C: Clinton Young, Brendan Whitecross, Shane Savage, Matt Suckling
Emg: Xavier Ellis, Thomas Murphy, Broc McCauley
In: Josh Gibson
Out: Michael Osborne

Who will win, by how much, and why?

Freo to win by less than a goal in another grinding clash that will come down to the wire. We've been there so many times this season already that the boys will deal with the pressure of the last few minutes.

What say you?

Freo by 25 points, although I hope they're not actual points.
Hawks to crumble against the tide of pressure as they did against the Swans. Buddy to be largely feckless due to McPharlin's blanket job. Ditto for Roughhead and Dawson. Van Berlo BOG against Cyril.

I have a good feeling about this one. But I had a good feeling about the Carlton match and was sure we'd lose to the saints so I've learnt not to trust my gut.

FREO by 27 points

We will start well and finish well with some messing around in between while the Hawks don't take us seriously and get their lunch handed to them.

I think Hawthorn, but just. The media and booking agencies are severely underrating our ability to stay in games and run them right to the wire this year, good for me of course to chuck plenty on Freo on the line (+28.5)

I've had a good feeling all week about this game. Feelings count for nothing as compelling evidence though. Maybe I'm just more hopeful. I think we can grind out a win against the Hawks provided the team is switched on from bounce down. If the team can be more accurate in front of goal all the better.

Freo by 14 points.

No way. Silvagni is amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing.

Not rating him at all is just as bad as the way some overrate him, he's somewhere between the extreme views of each party. For mine he's a younger Grover and there's nothing wrong with that.

Speaking of which, Grover should get a recall soon if we're insisting on rewarding players on WAFL form (whether they're cut out for AFL level is apparently irrelevant anyway), although I'm glad it's not this week.

Grow up, Silvagni is better than Dawson in most peoples opinion. We are not overrating Sos but I'd suggest most key backs could replace Dawson and provide better defense and much better offense (which he provides none).

It is stupid to say don't change something that's working otherwise we'll never reach the summit and average players will remain over better players and we'll never develop better prospects.

We know Ross clearly rates Dawson as I'm sure he was the driving force behind us recruiting him but we'll really see his worth in the coming weeks against better forwards. A bit strange though that one of very few KPBs in the league that has actually shut Franklin down doesn't get picked against him.

Grow up, Silvagni is better than Dawson in most peoples opinion. We are not overrating Sos but I'd suggest most key backs could replace Dawson and provide better defense and much better offense (which he provides none).

It is stupid to say don't change something that's working otherwise we'll never reach the summit and average players will remain over better players and we'll never develop better prospects.

We know Ross clearly rates Dawson as I'm sure he was the driving force behind us recruiting him but we'll really see his worth in the coming weeks against better forwards. A bit strange though that one of very few KPBs in the league that has actually shut Franklin down doesn't get picked against him.

Two of them are playing on the weekend actually.

Instead of over rating Silvagni you've chosen the approach of under rating Dawson. He's shown his worth for 7 rounds, if you don't see it now you never will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hoping we match it and play some good footy. I'll be staggered if we win but I always expect the worst so nothing new there. We were lamentable against Gold Coast in our last away hit out and although Port ran us into a bit of form due to their utter patheticness I'm not sure we are yet able to take our form on the road convincingly.
The line does seem generous though.

Off topic I really don't get the Silvagni jokes going around. I mean I understand the principle of the humour, I don't understand why people are bagging him. Has played some very decent footy for Freo and should get a start at some point this year. More than handy player.

Mind you I want to see Walters in sometime soon (I would start him on the ground in the Derby as he loves a scrap) but I don't expect that's going to happen either.

How the f*** are people still underrating Dawson? He's the clear leader in 1%'s, which is exactly what you need your Key Position Backs to do. He's there to spoil, bump and block not rebound, that's why the notoriously weak 1 on 1 Duffield gets games, they play different roles.

If Dawson has to be accountable for one of the Hawks key forwards ie. Roughy, he will get a bag kicked on him.

Not rating him at all is just as bad as the way some overrate him, he's somewhere between the extreme views of each party. For mine he's a younger Grover and there's nothing wrong with that.

Speaking of which, Grover should get a recall soon if we're insisting on rewarding players on WAFL form (whether they're cut out for AFL level is apparently irrelevant anyway), although I'm glad it's not this week.

Who says I don't rate him? I hope he has a long career at Freo. But at this stage, Dawson is better than him. Anyone that isn't a complete fool can see that.

Expecting it to be close either way, but I'm tipping the Hawks by 9 points. We're a much better chance than the bookies are suggesting anyway.

Not really convinced on our form, particularly away from home but I'd be surprised if we didn't give the Hawks a bit of a scare.

Hot tip. Ross rates him because hes a great FB. When SOS plays 2 seasons in the stingiest team and makes 3GFs, make this statement. Who played on buddy when the saints played them? To say SOS is one of the "FEW KPB IN THE LEAGUE THAT HAS SHUT DOWN FRANKLIN" is not only offensive to Mcpharlin but about 20 other blokes better than SOS.

I don't think it's possible for me to disagree more with a post than this one.

DAWSON HAS SHUTDOWN FRANKLIN.

And unlike Silvagni, Dawson kept Franklin to zero scoring shots in a game that didn't have periods of driving rain, unlike Silvagni's game last year where it pissed down and Buddy had three shots on goal.

The Dawson/Silvagni stuff is very tiresome.

In every pre-season "Best 22" prediction I had them both in the same team, shows what I know :eek:

McPhee and Johnson playing the 3rd tall defender/loose man role so well doesn't help him either.

I digress, looking forward to watching a scrappy affair at that windy shithole :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back