Traded #1: Michael Hibberd - Premiership Player!! Onya Piggy 🐽

Remove this Banner Ad

What about?

ESS OUT: Hibberd, 2017 2nd
ESS IN: MEL 2017 1st and 2nd

MEL OUT: 2017 1st and 2nd
MEL IN: Hibberd, ESS 2017 2nd?
I anticipate Melbourne will finish below Essendon in 2017. I think Melbourne's first pick will be 8-10 next year. I think they'll finish about the same as they did this year. Therefore Essendon absolutely smash that deal.

I understand that Melbourne overpaid for Melksham and gave us a good deal, but that was their choice not ours. If dodo wants more than pick 26 for Hibberd, which is fair enough, than he can go for that. We don't owe Melbourne a good deal just because they paid overs.

In saying that, I think we should take pick 26 with a pick 44 and 55 swap.

I think that pick 26 is fair given last year, but I think it is important to maintain our well earned reputation. As such we should demand pick 25.

Here's my proposition, and I'm going to key Striker475 in on this because he seems to be around quite a bit and offers good value.

Essendon receive pick 14 from GWS
Melbourne receive Hibberd
GWS receive 27 from Melbourne, 37 and 55 from Essendon

GWS climb 232 points up the totem pole, dees get their guy, Essendon seriously well compensated.

And before anyone says 'but Jack, they closed the 'hidden pick' loophole', here's why they didn't (and I'm taking liberties with a few assumptions in regards to GWS list movement here).

For those that don't know the basic gist around 'hidden picks' can be found here http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-22/draft-loophole-to-remain-despite-some-clubs-concern

So basically, for normal clubs with a primary list of 40, 4 spaces on the list would mean 4 selections in the draft, then after that, everything moves to the back of the draft and becomes worthless for the purposes of matching bids.

But, as usual, GWS are a special, delicate flower and need all the help they can get, so as part of their entrance concessions they're allowed a primary list of 44 in 2017 (this year they're allowed 46, of which they used 42), which for them means the loophole isn't really closed, is it? They can trade away and delist deadwood, bring the primary list down to 40 or 41 and preserve the ability to have 4 or 5 'hidden selections' in this draft, because they're not really hidden selections.

In practice GWS (depending on how picky they wish to be) could have as many as 9 active selections going into the draft to use on as little as 5 actual players.

TLDR: Hidden pick loophole very much open, but only for GWS, and only because the AFL gifted them additional spare list space that they aren't using.
Tag Dodoro!!!

I pose this question - Hibberd and Carlisle are the only 2 players I can remember, announcing their new club first on trade radio - How bizarre !

You mean publicly announcing? I'm sure Essendon already knew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean publicly announcing? I'm sure Essendon already knew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes - Both Carlisle and Hibberd made a 'song and dance' about their choice of club - I am unsure if EFC knew Carlisle would choose StKilda.

No. No and no.

We don't owe anybody anything.

Melksham courd turn into a good get for them.

We don't have a half back flanker of AFL quality. Our best scenario is to keep Hibberd.

Now that he's open to staying we play hardball on the deal and scuttle it.

Why would you have that stance? Dodoro's not going to be a dick just for the sake of it.

If a third team comes in and we can somehow get a Pick around 20, great. Otherwise, 26 gets it done.

Melksham could well turn into a good get for them - but I'd suggest Mason Redman has an equal, if not greater chance of becoming a 'good get' for us.

We don't have a half back flanker of AFL quality. Our best scenario is to keep Hibberd.
ridiculous claim. gleeson, francis, goddard, mckenna, can and have demonstrated afl traits off half-back. hibberd would be amongst our most dispensable players of value. that's leaving aside the reality that kelly may sign-on for another year - though i hope he won't. and further, half-back is a great starting point for any talented youngsters we may or may not draft this year, e.g. heppell's first year.

it's just a s**t claim, is what i'm saying. and i like your posts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ridiculous claim. gleeson, francis, goddard, mckenna, can and have demonstrated afl traits off half-back. hibberd would be amongst our most dispensable players of value. that's leaving aside the reality that kelly may sign-on for another year - though i hope he won't. and further, half-back is a great starting point for any talented youngsters we may or may not draft this year, e.g. heppell's first year.

it's just a s**t claim, is what i'm saying. and i like your posts.

Gleeson, Francis and McKenna have a long way to go before they get to the status of Birchall, Burgoyne, Enright, Rampe, Shaw, Laird, Wood, Johanissen, Hurn etc, etc

Francis has plenty of talent but will take about 3 years to get the running game going.

Gleeson needs strength and speed to get to AFL quality. May or may not get there. Is probably the most rounded in terms of skillset but his frame is an issue. Pace is a real problem.
McKenna - still developing, could come good or could go anywhere. Like a showbag, not sure what we are going to get at this stage.

Goddard - I don't rate a guy that is pretty much static as a half back flanker that provides very little run.

Gleeson, Francis and McKenna have a long way to go before they get to the status of Birchall, Burgoyne, Enright, Rampe, Shaw, Laird, Wood, Johanissen, Hurn etc, etc

Francis has plenty of talent but will take about 3 years to get the running game going.

Gleeson needs strength and speed to get to AFL quality. May or may not get there. Is probably the most rounded in terms of skillset but his frame is an issue. Pace is a real problem.
McKenna - still developing, could come good or could go anywhere. Like a showbag, not sure what we are going to get at this stage.

Goddard - I don't rate a guy that is pretty much static as a half back flanker that provides very little run.

Are there any Essendon players you do rate?

what is this list of players meant to represent? are laird and wood and hurn and johannisen anywhere even close to what enright has produced over ten seasons? seriously mate, the half-back flank is one of the softest spots to fill on the ground. gleeson has proven himself to be afl standard in the role, mckenna likewise. both have higher ceilings than old one-foot hibberd. if hibberd is keeping out gleeson or mckenna, this team is going backwards long-term.

still staggered that your argument that hibberd is a big loss is to reference enright and burgoyne (who's barely even a flanker). the reality is, docherty is as good as most of those guys and where does that leave the carlton fc?

what is this list of players meant to represent? are laird and wood and hurn and johannisen anywhere even close to what enright has produced over ten seasons? seriously mate, the half-back flank is one of the softest spots to fill on the ground. gleeson has proven himself to be afl standard in the role, mckenna likewise. both have higher ceilings than old one-foot hibberd. if hibberd is keeping out gleeson or mckenna, this team is going backwards long-term.

still staggered that your argument that hibberd is a big loss is to reference enright and burgoyne (who's barely even a flanker). the reality is, docherty is as good as most of those guys and where does that leave the carlton fc?

thats a furphy in today's game. you need seriously good players delivering drive from the half back line. Hawks have been masters at it with Hodge dropping back, Birchall, Burgoyne.

I believe we have a core of mids that can take us into the 8 and beyond, with Hooker, Daniher, Tippa, Fanta forward I think we have a top 8 forward half.

Our defence is bottom 6 imo. If you had Hibberd Hooker back there it might be different but the current group isn't of the standard required to get us into the 8.

So Pig happy to stay at Essendon if a deal can't be reached.

Wonder if we value pick 26 more than Pig and will go for more or just keep him?

thats a furphy in today's game. you need seriously good players delivering drive from the half back line. Hawks have been masters at it with Hodge dropping back, Birchall, Burgoyne.

I believe we have a core of mids that can take us into the 8 and beyond, with Hooker, Daniher, Tippa, Fanta forward I think we have a top 8 forward half.

Our defence is bottom 6 imo. If you had Hibberd Hooker back there it might be different but the current group isn't of the standard required to get us into the 8.
sadly hibberd will never be close to burgoyne or hodge so i've still got no idea what point you're trying to make. hibberd is not in that category of 'seriously good players'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back