Player Watch #10: Shane Edwards - Retiring at Seasons end

Remove this Banner Ad

How are some people not comprehending this...

It's not as if a panel of ten of the all time great football brains formed a panel and decided shane is a better footballer than cotch...

It is from statistical data... Putting shane up against other half forwards in the 2014 season where he was among the top 10%... Therefore elite...

Don't turn it into what it's not.

Certainly one of our key players when we were winning, in terms of other half-forwards there aren't many that play like him. I would definitely think one of the key areas he has over other half forwards is his stoppage work, he'd be elite in comparison to others in his position. Take away his subbed game and he averaged just over 18 touches and a goal a game. Very good.

How are some people not comprehending this...

It's not as if a panel of ten of the all time great football brains formed a panel and decided shane is a better footballer than cotch...

It is from statistical data... Putting shane up against other half forwards in the 2014 season where he was among the top 10%... Therefore elite...

Don't turn it into what it's not.
I think it's the very liberal use of the word elite that has people rolling their eyes.
What's wrong with Shane is one of the better players in his position.
This is not a crack at anyone here just a bit of an eyes roll to those particularly in the media that love trotting out 'elite".

The stats are based on the 2014 season and ranks players by their position.

Titch had a huge season and was in the top 10% of HFFs in the AFL. Cotch only had a good season and was not ranked in the top 10% of midfielders.

Taken in isolation I don't think it is unfair to call Shane's 2014 season elite; he was fantastic and just keeps on getting better.
Seriously , the bloke was made sub in round 5 and 6 after the worst 4 games of his career. Improved remarkably after that but his season was a tail of two shities. Plain s**t and s**t hot. Hopefully he can carry his form into 2015 for the entire season.

Horseshit.

He averaged about half a dozen disposals fewer than Martin, all of which can be accounted for by Martin being fed the ball across half back to unleash his devastating line-breaking kick. No one feeds Shane, he is the feeder.

Statistics also fail to count the number of strips, knock-ons etc, which can be massive momentum changers/builders, and at which Sheds is truly elite.
What a strange over-reaction to what is, after all, just an opinion. I agree Edwards is elite in certain regards (certainly handballing out of traffic and bursting from a pack), but I just don't think he impacts games enough to be considered an elite player in his position.

There are some strange results in this Champion Data prospectus. The most glaring error would be Dyson Heppell, Trent Cotchin and Bryce Gibbs not elite onballers, but Nick Dal Santo is. Also, Nick Riewoldt, Luke Hodge and Jordan Lewis not elite? WTF? Perhaps the Champion Data people should weight certain games (like grand finals) more heavily.

What a strange over-reaction to what is, after all, just an opinion. I agree Edwards is elite in certain regards (certainly handballing out of traffic and bursting from a pack), but I just don't think he impacts games enough to be considered an elite player in his position.

There are some strange results in this Champion Data prospectus. The most glaring error would be Dyson Heppell, Trent Cotchin and Bryce Gibbs not elite onballers, but Nick Dal Santo is. Also, Nick Riewoldt, Luke Hodge and Jordan Lewis not elite? WTF? Perhaps the Champion Data people should weight certain games (like grand finals) more heavily.
Speaking of CD, has anyone got the new edition? If so can you give a over view on what is said about the tiges?

Gosh there some flogs about on here.

He's not being compared to Ablett or Franklin you nuffies, he's simply being compared to other players who play his position.

And for the few who cannot state his undeniable worth to our team, you just failed life. His work in close, his ability to fire out the impossible handball and find a teammate with it, his ability to be that silky link in the chain and his ability to go forward and kick goals is second to none.

Cannot wait to see Shane this year, especially now that he's entering his prime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't say titch is elite but he has all the tools to be his clearance work is outstanding and his handballing is the best at the club, one of those guys who everyone underrates except there team mates who know

Great in the wet, always good in close with blink and you miss it hands.
Pops up with a few goals and can take a pretty spectacular grab for a little guy.

Not elite but a fine attacking player that brings an added dimension to the team.

5th best "Forward-Mid" of the past 40 games in Player Ratings
http://www.afl.com.au/afl-player-ratings

Does a lot of good things, doesn't matter if he's elite

Wow, he rated higher than dusty in those afl player ratings as a fwd/mid!

Not exactly going to put the fear into the opposition, but he does a serviceable job through the middle as part of the second rotation group.

Little Shaney Edwards, how good is he?!
No one I like to see more at the drop 20m from goal

It's a lost skill, isn't it.

Front and centre on a dry day, or a few feet behind on a wet day.
Little man waiting in the right position, or motoring past to hit it as it comes to ground.

Drives me nuts how everyone jumps for the ball these days and nobody crumbs.

He's a good player, pretty underrated as a few have mentioned, but the key thing for me is that he's improved at least one aspect of his game every year under Dimma. His contested game has really gone up a notch and he's more or less eradicated the kicks that earned him the nickname Shank, all the while preserving and improving his creativity by hand and around goal, and improved his outside running game.

Having said that, he's still quite inconsistent and can become invisible at times. The gap between his best and worse needs to improve - in that sense he's almost a microcosm of the entire side, a barometer.

Good to see him finally get some public recognition for the good work he does though. Here's to yet another year of improvement.

Christ we're a weird bunch, we cry out for players like Edwards to step up and become good players and yet when they do and the stats back it up, we jump on here and make cases as to why he isn't as good as suggested. I don't know about others but IMO if a guy like Titch is being rated as an elite player it's something we should be happy with as it shows that the depth that we have so badly wanted.

Comprehension is fine knackers.
In no way,shape or form is Shane Edwards elite.
To my eyes anyway.
In any position or in any field.
My argument was that it's ridiculous to use a set of statistics to say that he is when my own eyes tell me he's not.
I guess we should just use your opinion instead:rolleyes:

I guess we should just use your opinion instead:rolleyes:
I'm not saying that am I?
I am merely expressing my opinion that statistics can be fluff and that the word elite gets thrown around a lot.
You're going off on a tangent that I am comparing him to Cotchin and all this other rubbish?
And you question people's comprehension skills?

His handball in traffic is sometimes elite but thats about it imo.
His midfield time would boost him up the ratings Id imagine, but he has improved under Hardwick and Im liking his output and will back him to improve again as our team gets stronger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back