Player Watch #10: Shane Edwards - Retiring at Seasons end

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember me !! That title is all mine

images
correct, and didnt we laugh at them for doing it....

To be fair, Jack is cooked, looks horribly out of form...

But to my defence, I called this out as a concern during the off-season, where I was shot down, because "he kicked 40+ goals last year"...

He is miles off it at the moment...

And sending him into the ruck is exactly what happened to Astbury when he could no longer justify his selection in his main position solely...
Lets se how the year pans out , I still think jack will kick 30 goals this year
we dont have many that kicks tht many ready to replace him.

Lets se how the year pans out , I still think jack will kick 30 goals this year
we dont have many that kicks tht many ready to replace him.
that would be an error if you ask me....

Not only is he out of form, he is making life harder for Lynch and the other forwards whilst he is there...

Even when he kicks goals, he is having no impact on the game as a whole... i think two have bounced off his shin by accident on the goal square...

I would play someone like Cumberland instead, as a mid who can influence at ground level.
Means Balta and Lynch KPF's
Gives you flexibility to play both Nank and Soldo without being too top heavy
Or Balta plays as second ruck and we have speed back int he fwd half...

I'm not trying to pot a champ. I love JR, but I also recognise he continual selection may be to our long term detriment.
Just like Richo moved out of the fwd half for Jack...
You say we don't have any kids to replace him, but how would we know if we don't give them a crack at it?

Not only is he out of form, he is making life harder for Lynch and the other forwards whilst he is there...

Even when he kicks goals, he is having no impact on the game as a whole... i think two have bounced off his shin by accident on the goal square...

I would play someone like Cumberland instead, as a mid who can influence at ground level.

I'm not trying to pot a champ. I love JR, but I also recognise he continual selection may be to our long term detriment.
You say we don't have any kids to replace him, but how would we know if we don't give them a crack at it?
But thats exactly what you are doing

Lets see how he goes this year , He is a FF and should only be judged on his goals that he kicks but he has been so bloody good that we have now raised our expectations to a even higher level and expect him to be superman all the time.

Who is taking his spot ? Balta is a better player because jack is there
Richmond is better because we have versatility because jack is there
Lynch is better because he doesnt get double teamed as much because jack is there

We dont have a replacement for Jack atm and if we move Balta to his position
Who does Balta's role ?

30 goals + a year dont grow on tree's mate

Lets see how he goes this year , He is a FF and should only be judged on his goals that he kicks but he has been so bloody good that we have now raised our expectations to a even higher level and expect him to be superman all the time.

Lynch is better because he doesnt get double teamed as much because jack is there

Who does Balta's role ?

then there's no point having a conversation

If you are a liability for 85% of game time but kick 1.5 goals pre game in the other 15% of game time, that's kicking 30 and acceptable by your standards...2

And if you don't think oppo players are playing off jack to double team Lynch and/or Balta, then you are not watching the game properly.

Balta is not developing like he should, because he is not taking over Jack's role, he is still worried about getting in JR's way
Jack doesn't add the versatility he used to, tell me how he is versatile, because he has lost a lot of his athleticism that gave him that versatility
Lynch is double team 95% of the time whether JR is there or not...

To be fair, Jack is cooked, looks horribly out of form...

But to my defence, I called this out as a concern during the off-season, where I was shot down, because "he kicked 40+ goals last year"...

He is miles off it at the moment...

And sending him into the ruck is exactly what happened to Astbury when he could no longer justify his selection in his main position solely...
I don't think cooked is quite correct. I think he is being used poorly. He couldn't cut it up the field last season, so what hope another year on. He should be used more like Fitsch is used, get 5-10 touches deep and kick a few goals, a few more on good days. Balta and Lynch should be doing the dirty work.

Also a bit harsh on Astbury. Reckon he was easily better than Tarrant has been this year, which makes you appreciate how good a player he was pretty much for the all the time he was at full back.

Sub or fwd pocket at best for Shedda...

You can love him for what he has done and still recognise the end is very near, they are not mutually exclusive....

He was terrible watching live on Sunday night... just always 5 steps behind, when at his best, he is 5 steps ahead... it's an alarming drop off no matter how you look at it.

He was average at best in 2021 ... and plummeted from there.

It's not potting Jack, mate ... nor is anyone potting Edwards.
"It's commonsense and most people see it.
But some dont want to let go of 2017 and 19 and 20.
We're only six weeks removed from people still wanting Caddy in the team and continually referencing 2018 form.
Funnily enough, Caddy would be having a big impact right now than Edwards if he was fit and he'd be nowhere near it.

And share your thoughts on Jack. Neary as slow as my grandmother these days and can't bend over to pick it up.
Mind you, a good small forward would be nearly shadowing Jack. Plenty to mop up.

Who does Balta's role ?

Thank you for the rap! :)

shedda due for a big one. and can posters stop calling him titch please....robert walls gave it to him and his mum didn't appreciate it. and then paul roos called him sean edwards a few times around the same time. so annoying :mad:
Replying to emphasise the point!

SHEDDA campaigners!!!!
Hope he gets back into some form tonight. Gets around Bolton, Stack and MRJ for 'showtime'.

Why are people defending Edwards? he was one of my favourite players but.....

Time waits for no one, and as a performance sport he has to be accountable, that's just how it is.

We are staring down the barrel of finishing bottom six. That is our reality and if we dont move on then it will be bottom 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are people defending Edwards? he was one of my favourite players but.....

Time waits for no one, and as a performance sport he has to be accountable, that's just how it is.

We are staring down the barrel of finishing bottom six. That is our reality and if we dont move on then it will be bottom 4.

Interesting that when Dimma was asked about Edwards form he said that his teammates weren`t giving him the ball enough, basically said Edwards was getting into position to be given the ball but they were ignoring him.

Here's my theory with Edwards...

Looked fine last year, not quite at his best but good, then he hurt his ankle. Should never have come back and should have had surgery, was cooked for the rest of the year when he came back, I think he played a couple of OK games but mostly way off his best. Dimma said that Edwards had told him at some point during the season that his body had not felt good going into any game all year. I can only imagine the ankle amplified this tenfold.

Coming into 2022 I expected him to be back to near his best after getting his ankle right but it hasn't happened outside a few small glimpses.

So my theory is that it's always been partly about hunger and effort with Shane, all the talent is there but he takes a bit to switch on.

For most of his career he was a bit of a passenger but, as we started to come into our good years he got pretty good, and then in our dominant years he became really good (from 2017, 18 and 19). But... isn't it strange that through that good then great period, he would always be a tier or so below our best players, yet for Dreamtime he would just suddenly become ridiculously good? How can he just flick a switch like that? I also remember him turning a GWS game for us almost singlehandedly in 2015 when we were losing at 3QT at the MCG.

So yeah, the theory is that it's very much mental with him, when the hunger is there he is electric but, as with most of the side, that hunger has now died away a bit, if not entirely. Coupled with him getting a little older and (maybe) still having some lingering issues from the ankle injury, he's now well off the pace.

I'm sure Dimma and the club know him better than anyone, hence why he survived the axe this week (let's be fair he has a zillion credits in the bank), and they know that if given a bit of a talking to he might just fire up again.

I don't think we'll see 2017-19 levels again but I think he can still be a really valuable player for us for at least the remainder of this year, he just needs to flick that switch a bit, and hopefully that's tonight.

I'll call him whatever I like. Titch. Tedwards. Shedwards. Shane. Shaggs.

You can't stop me.
You are right, but I think that Shane has mentioned that he doesn’t like the nickname so if you want to be disrespectful to him all the power to you I guess

Interesting that when Dimma was asked about Edwards form he said that his teammates weren`t giving him the ball enough, basically said Edwards was getting into position to be given the ball but they were ignoring him.
It's basic psychology. Within a week of a player arriving at a club they can suss out who responds well to criticism and who needs smoke blown up their arse or they further retreat in their shell. Blind Freddie can see Edwards has been average to putrid for bang on a year now. He also had a massive break 2020 for his baby. So maybe the decline goes back further I can't recall that far back and I'm not a flog who'll Google his stats and pretend I know better

You are right, but I think that Shane has mentioned that he doesn’t like the nickname so if you want to be disrespectful to him all the power to you I guess
When did Australia become a country full of slack jawed fa@$ots! God my mates from footy, work, school, family whatever nicknames are meant to be s**t stirring or get under their skin. God what do you soft hipsters call each other? Well manscaped beardy?? Cute eyes??? Skinny jeansy??? God China hurry up and invade!!!! jesse-ventura-predator.gif

When did Australia become a country full of slack jawed fa@$ots! God my mates from footy, work, school, family whatever nicknames are meant to be s**t stirring or get under their skin. God what do you soft hipsters call each other? Well manscaped beardy?? Cute eyes??? Skinny jeansy??? God China hurry up and invade!!!! View attachment 1386815

Dis those skinny jeans have tears in them???
Asking for a friend called Jeff.

I'm sure he's got more important matters to concern him with than what one fan like myself calls him, and whether you are offended on his behalf.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back