Kooley

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
out west
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
arsenal
In the 1980's when Robert Walls was in charge of the Blues he introduced the notorious 100x100 sprints as part of pre-season training. I remember going down to training as a teenager and watching the players complete this usually on the day before they broke up for their Xmas break.

I vividly remember seeing players vommitting and David Rhys-Jones pulling out at about 70.

Last year 2012 I sent myself the goal of training 366 days straight for at least an hour every day without a day off. My training consisted mostly a 12-15km run, 3km swim, boxing and circuits. It was the most difficult I've ever done but I got through.

This year I have set myself the goal of completing the 100x100's on New Years eve at the ground next to Princes Park where I saw those players complete it many years ago.

Has anyone heard of the 100x100s and if so what are the rules in terms of times and breaks?

I vaguely remember each 100 had to be completed in 45 seconds. So if the players were averaging about 15 second 100's they would get a 30 second break and off they would go again.

I also recall them maybe getting a 2 minute break at 25, 50 and 75.

So far Im building the tempo and the other day completed 30x100s using the 45 second time frame. Its pretty tough and completely different training to what I did last year. My hammies are killing me.

Any information would be great!

Cheers

Kooley

My amatuer club did at as part of pre season training about 10 years back and from memory we had a minute to complete each one so you would get 45 secs to rest if you could run the the 100m in 15 secs. Was pretty brutal but most people completed it.

The toughest thing I have ever done in a pre season was when I was training at a WAFL club back in the late 90's and one night in early November we had to do the following during the session.
5km time trial
4km time trial
3km time trial
2km time trial
1km time trial

In that order which meant you had run 15kms at training that night.

Then in the first week back from the christmas / new year break we had to do it all again and you had to better your times by 10%.

I remember driving home from training with one of the other lads that night and we barely spoke a word we were that knackered.

In the 1980's when Robert Walls was in charge of the Blues he introduced the notorious 100x100 sprints as part of pre-season training. I remember going down to training as a teenager and watching the players complete this usually on the day before they broke up for their Xmas break.

I vividly remember seeing players vommitting and David Rhys-Jones pulling out at about 70.

Last year 2012 I sent myself the goal of training 366 days straight for at least an hour every day without a day off. My training consisted mostly a 12-15km run, 3km swim, boxing and circuits. It was the most difficult I've ever done but I got through.

This year I have set myself the goal of completing the 100x100's on New Years eve at the ground next to Princes Park where I saw those players complete it many years ago.

Has anyone heard of the 100x100s and if so what are the rules in terms of times and breaks?

I vaguely remember each 100 had to be completed in 45 seconds. So if the players were averaging about 15 second 100's they would get a 30 second break and off they would go again.

I also recall them maybe getting a 2 minute break at 25, 50 and 75.

So far Im building the tempo and the other day completed 30x100s using the 45 second time frame. Its pretty tough and completely different training to what I did last year. My hammies are killing me.

Any information would be great!

Cheers

Kooley
great goal - good luck with it!

I think that's a pretty great goal. Reminds me of myself in 2008. Sitting at 107kg and decided to make a change in my life. Hit the gym that November and in 3 months was under 91kg. In 6 months I was under 84kg and I’ve managed to maintain that weight pretty consistently since. I have been running a 3k interval loop in my neighborhood, alternating jogging, sprinting and walking since the start of December. Hoping to build up a pretty big tank for the coming season here in the states, so I think I’ll set a similar goal to you. Maybe not 100x100 but maybe 50x50!

I was always under the impression that wach 100 had to be done in 15 seconds or under, and you get the remainder of the minute to rest.

So essentially you "sprint" 10km in 1 hour 40mins

Just thought I'd mention I started down the goal path. Hit the gym with my dad today and used their indoor track to crank out some laps. Did 15 laps of the track total, running a full lap of 167meters at about 90% effort and then walking as a rest for 30 seconds between intervals. After 10 laps I gave i took a 120 second rest and then powered out the last 5 laps at max effort with the same 30 second rests. Finished the entire set in 23 minutes. Hit the weights and then hit a basketball court for a final 5 flat out sprints and then a jog back.

Felt pretty spent by the end, but definately felt I emptied the tank over the course of an 80 minute workout. Also hit a PB of 110 kg on the squat rack after 10 sets of 10. Pretty stoked to beat my PB by 9kg.

Good work FS - sounds brutal to be honest, short sharp session can still be an absolute killer.

I had a running session today, repeat efforts of 500m with 2 minute breaks between. Jog there and back and short sprints to finish off gives me a 23-24 minute session. Other running session is hill sprints.

Bike ride to and from work gets slower as the week wears on, especially as I'm still throwing in a little bit of leg work during Monday & Wednesday weight sessions (swim Fridays).

I was always under the impression that wach 100 had to be done in 15 seconds or under, and you get the remainder of the minute to rest.

So essentially you "sprint" 10km in 1 hour 40mins
This sounds ok and probably a little bit easier than what I've been doing so far. Ive been sprinting and averaging around about 15 seconds and only have about 30 seconds rest. I'm doing them in 45 secs.

This sounds ok and probably a little bit easier than what I've been doing so far. Ive been sprinting and averaging around about 15 seconds and only have about 30 seconds rest. I'm doing them in 45 secs.

Won't be easy after 80 or so.

Anyway, that's how I heard it's done. May have been in Jim Stynes' first book.

Congratulations Kooley on smashing your 2012 goal. Backing up every single.day is seriously awesome. Im inspired by the 100 x 100 concept. Will do a ladies version! 50 x 100.

Over the christmas break my mate and I decided to see how many sprints we could do with the 1 minute window.

it was about 42c and we got through 11, at which point i vomited and my friend nearly passed out.

So anyone who can do more than 20 has my respect :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I consider myself reasonably fit but the prospect of 100x100s makes me tired thinking about it.

it really is a test of mental toughness.

obviously, the average sedentary specimen isnt able to just get out to the track and tick off 100x100. but the professional athlete with several years of training has a body that's capable. the thing that will hold him back is his mind. physiologically, the body is capable of so much. it's the mind that limits an individual. a good test is doing such an exercise on your own and doing it with a group. you'll almost always complete more with a group because of that peer support. we think our body cannot complete another rep but it's really all in our head.

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone done 100 x 100m sprints before? Keen to maybe give it a go this summer if I can convince some mates to do it with me.

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone done 100 x 100m sprints before? Keen to maybe give it a go this summer if I can convince some mates to do it with me.

build up to it mate. start with sets of 10, take 3 mins off, and go again, etc. do that over several weeks building up volume, e.g., start with 3 sets, then 4 sets, 5 sets, etc. i read somewhere the brayshaw boys do 100x 100s on 35 or 40 sec, i.e., if they run a 100m in 20 sec, they have 15-20 sec rest before the next rep.

when you're ready to do it 'brayshaw family' style, taper for a week or two (lower the training volume), then have a crack. a simple performance equation is: performance = fitness - fatigue. If you have a crack after coming off chronic high training load, the fatigue variable will affect your ability to get it done, even though you're fitter and adapted to the work.

if you start training now, do the 100x100 end of Feb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back