Retired #11: David Zaharakis - Survivin'

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 11. David Zaharakis

For a 3rd gamer, it's pretty hard to fault his efforts and output today.

Was a shining light in a disgusting team effort.

Another solid performance by Zaharakis in my opinion. Still demonstrating his great speed and decision making skills. Another positive is that he no seems to have built on his endurance, as I was a little worried in his first couple of games that he was getting a little too tired by the end of the match.

It is good to see that he is slowly building on his confidence infront of goal. He had 6 shots at goal and kick 2 (both in the last quater), which is great. Still room for improvement there though. But all in all he is developing into a damaging player very quickly.

This guy can play.

Good to see that Zacka is now the second favourite for the Rising Star Award.

It is becoming very clear that his confidence is building, not just infront of goal, but all over the ground. His kicking skills are well advanced for a first year player which is great to see. His speed is also something that complements the side well.

But above all of this his decision making skills and footy smarts are fantastic. Looks like we definately have a long term player here.

GREAT PICK-UP!!!!!!!

Had never heard of this bloke when we drafted him.

Heard a few people say he's similar to Dyson in the way he plays and I thought..., well, I wasn't too excited to be honest.

But this kid has so much promise. For years, we've watched on as players like Selwood, Rioli and Palmer have had immediate impact in their debut seasons, while our picks like Monfries, Ryder, Gumbleton and Myers have taken time to come on or get over injuries.

With nothing against our players I've mentioned, how refreshing it is to finally have a first year player come into the team and not look out of place at all, and to even get us over the line in a massive game.

Possession-wise he obviously had a stellar first game and has dropped of since then, but he's kicked 5 goals in the past 2 matches and 7 in 8 games.

If we've managed to draft a quality midfielder, who can kick 22 goals per season, at pick #23.....then we've done some great drafting right there!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought that was a fabulous interview. As the season wore on, you forgot the excitement of that day! Definitely worth watching and remembering. A star of the future!

LOL, on the Rising Star interview... He says with a huge grin on his face when asked; have you ever watched the footage?; "Yeah a few times, I went round to a mates place once and said mate check out this video, and it was the link to Anzac Day footage".
Anyone got a link to this? Would love to see it.

Bomber David Zaharakis seeks year two treasure
Sam Edmund, Herald Sun, 18 January 2010

IT WAS a debut year after which it may have been easy for David Zaharakis to get ahead of himself.

Twenty-one disposals in his first game, multiple goals against Hawthorn and Richmond and of course, a miracle, match-winning major to sink Collingwood on Anzac Day before 84,829 fans.

But while his mum and dad may have given the DVD player a little workout replaying that last highlight, Zaharakis has his feet firmly on the ground ahead of season two.

read more

571885-david-zaharakis.jpg

David Zaharakis is shaping up to get ready for the Bombers' new season. Source: HWT Image Library

Looks in great shape.

Agreed, didn't think his frame had much scope to put on muscle but boy was I wrong, huge cannons. Hopefully can become a more well rounded player and become part of the inside rotation.

11. David Zaharakis

2010-familyday-024.jpg

Born: 21/02/1990
Recruited: 2008 National Draft, Pick 23 (Northern Knights)
Height: 182cm
Weight: 77kg
Classification: Midfielder-Forward

091202_training08.jpg

2009 Statistics
Matches:
Kicks
Ave:
8.7 High: 17
Handballs
Ave:
3.8 High: 10
Disposals
Ave:
13.7 High: 21
Marks
Ave:
4.7 High: 10
Tackles
Ave:
2.5 High: 4
Goals
Total:
7 High: 3
Behinds
Total:
8 High: 4

r05-gsp-11.jpg

SuperCoach Average: 57.2Dream Team Average: 64.2

Games: 10
Goals: 7
Debut: 2009

EFC Website Review:
A lifelong Essendon fan, Zaharakis made a memorable start to his career at Windy Hill last year, earning a NAB AFL Rising Star nomination after his first game and winning the Anzac Day game with a long goal in the dying seconds. Endured groin problems towards the end of the year, but the club is hoping a good pre-season will ensure the midfielder capitalises on his promising start.

r05-gsp-63.jpg

My Review:
After a strong start in his first year, David has followed this up with a strong preseason. He’s obviously worked hard on both his frame and endurance and after packing on 5kg he looks more like a footballer. His kicking has improved out of sight since his first dig at the draft and he’s shown this by kicking a good return of goals in the VFL and this year’s NAB Cup/Challenge. Expect him to make a hard push for a spot in the side this year playing off the half forward line with the occasional run through the middle. Hopes should be high for this kid; he’s got a lot of talent and should become a future leader of the club.

rd7_2009_09.jpg

Sources:
EFC Website
Footwire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back