Delisted #11: Will "Meatball" Snelling - Delisted 25/10

Remove this Banner Ad

It is a recurrence, they'll be conservative, and they haven't said anything about how many weeks but the injury list says "medium term" which I'm putting as 4-6 weeks (it's the same timeframe as Merrett who we do have a timeframe for).

Forward Will Snelling will be placed on a conservative rehabilitation program after suffering a reoccurring calf injury in Essendon’s win against Adelaide.

Round four’s victory was Snelling’s first game back from a similar injury sustained in pre-season.

Head of high performance Sean Murphy said Snelling will now take a steady road back to returning to the field.

“It’s really disappointing for ‘Snell’,” Murphy told Dons Digital’s Liberty Financial Performance Update.

“It was his first game back from that calf injury. He had that nice rehab program which was seamless. It happened early in the second quarter that re-injury of the calf, and now we’ll have to be conservative in this instance with his rehab plan and build him up again.”

They get pushed through pretty rigorous tests and the protocols for a calf appear to have been followed. They don't play if they don't pass.
It would have been treated as a once off calf injury. The fact he has done it again means they change the protocol and will look at any other mechanisms that could be causing it you would assume as well as being more conservative.
It was a minor calf that was 9 days before Geelong game, that's 39 days before he played and he lasted a half before breaking down.

I don't think you can pin this one on the staff as it doesn't appear to have been rushed.
21 days for a hamstring is usual protocol, calf is usually more and they did another two and a half weeks.

They get pushed through pretty rigorous tests and the protocols for a calf appear to have been followed. They don't play if they don't pass.
It would have been treated as a once off calf injury. The fact he has done it again means they change the protocol and will look at any other mechanisms that could be causing it you would assume as well as being more conservative.
It was a minor calf that was 9 days before Geelong game, that's 39 days before he played and he lasted a half before breaking down.

I don't think you can pin this one on the staff as it doesn't appear to have been rushed.
21 days for a hamstring is usual protocol, calf is usually more and they did another two and a half weeks.

Snelling needs to run with less calf and more hamstring.

Langford needs to run with less hamstring and more calf.

From the video:

"Yeah so unlikely to see Snells before the bye. But he's the ultimate professional, he goes about it the right way, off the track, on the track, he'll give himself every chance to accelerate the rehab process, but unlikely to see him before the bye. But everything is going really well for him."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Yeah so unlikely to see Snells before the bye. But he's the ultimate professional, he goes about it the right way, off the track, on the track, he'll give himself every chance to accelerate the rehab process, but unlikely to see him before the bye. But everything is going really well for him."

Yeah nah. He is not the ultimate professional. He was bought back way too early. Snelling thought he was ready,Murphy thought he was ready, the selection/coaches thought he was ready. Common sense said otherwise. And guess what? Didn't last half a game. That is not professional. Do ppl honestly fall for this tripe?

Yeah nah. He is not the ultimate professional. He was bought back way too early. Snelling thought he was ready,Murphy thought he was ready, the selection/coaches thought he was ready. Common sense said otherwise. And guess what? Didn't last half a game. That is not professional. Do ppl honestly fall for this tripe?
Professionalism in terms of injury recovery means diligently following RICER, altered diet plan while off their feet, completing all the exercises and whatever in the plan exactly as prescribed to maximise recovery and maintain what fitness they can.

And while I don't particularly like players getting re-injured and I do think they need to look into it when it happens too often, it is entirely possible to do absolutely everything right, follow all the advice to the last syllable, double the amount of time to recover just to be ultra conservative, and still suffer a recurrence of an injury.

In and of itself, reinjury is not evidence of a lack of professionalism.

Professionalism in terms of injury recovery means diligently following RICER, altered diet plan while off their feet, completing all the exercises and whatever in the plan exactly as prescribed to maximise recovery and maintain what fitness they can.

And while I don't particularly like players getting re-injured and I do think they need to look into it when it happens too often, it is entirely possible to do absolutely everything right, follow all the advice to the last syllable, double the amount of time to recover just to be ultra conservative, and still suffer a recurrence of an injury.

In and of itself, reinjury is not evidence of a lack of professionalism.

lol. Repeat bullshit enough to ones self and you start believing it.

it’s pretty funny how last year he played every game and almost won the Crichton and everyone hated him, and this year he hasn’t played and he’s our best player that we are missing.

Sorry Lore, that's a 'cheap' comment from me. I admit that.

But people need to realise you can't reinvent the wheel. Most injuries have a general predetermined amount of time of recovery. You have defined professionalism in a modern terminology, absolving those involved in the decision for his early return. But the reality is he returned too early. All the checks and plans the club had failed.

Lets see how Merret and Stringer go this weekend. It just reeks of re-inventing the wheel.

You can make a perfectly valid argument about the professionalism of the club's fitness department and would have plenty of ammunition in relation to the management of recurrent injuries and rushing players back (see also: Daniher not being diligent with his recovery, Stringer & Merrett being rushed back now).

Taking quotes out of context weakens your point, and makes me want to double check everything you say in future because it's no longer reliable. Especially when you come back to me with comments like this one, demonstrating a lack of interest in reliably interpreting evidence.^

14th of April (almost 3 weeks ago): "medium term" aka 4-6 weeks, should therefore have been back between R8-R10. R8 is this week.
It is a recurrence, they'll be conservative, and they haven't said anything about how many weeks but the injury list says "medium term" which I'm putting as 4-6 weeks (it's the same timeframe as Merrett who we do have a timeframe for).

21st of April (almost 2 weeks ago): "unlikely to see before the bye" aka not before R13.
From the video:

Now, AFL website says:
Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 18.51.00.png

aka back to a R8-R10 estimated return. So did they put 4-6 weeks on the paperwork originally and forget to update it? Or are we now likely to see him before the bye after all?

I don't know if this is rushing him back or playing funny buggers so everyone thinks he'll be out for ages and are surprised when he comes back on time...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back