Radio 1116 SEN 2024 Line-up

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't say racist, but for someone that professes to be an expert in basketball its shamefully unprofessional that he does not know how the pronounce Giannis' name.

It's part of a wider problem in Australian media of commentators using the bogan pronunciation on any slightly different name. Con-IG-lio instead of Con-eel-e-o. It's cringeworthy.

You've only been here 2 minutes and your accusing a presenter of racism because he can't pronounce a difficult greek name . Me and many others wouldn't be able to say it correct .

There is nothing difficult about saying Yiannis (correct) instead of Gee-ianns (incorrect), I have said nothing about his surname which Dwayne doesnt even attempt. If this is causing you difficulty than I would presume you have more problems in your life than a poster who has been here "2 minutes".

I wouldn't say racist, but for someone that professes to be an expert in basketball its shamefully unprofessional that he does not know how the pronounce Giannis' name.

Bingo. I think the real secret here is that Dwayne thinks he knows basketball but in reality knows * all, much like most sports.

He knows Aussie basketball , so why does he have to know yank stuff.

Probably because its the biggest basketball league on the planet. As a sports presenter who knows more than the average joe, especially about basketball, and eye on and understanding of the big names or teams in the NBA should be pretty easy.

As for Giannis, yeah maybe he should know the name. Its not just him, so it shouldnt be solely directed at dwayne, but as workhorse said its an aussie media trait.

dwayne i reckon knows how to host a program. he's quite polished and asks good questions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Les Murray the master of pronunciation will be rolling in his grave - It's a case of lazyness on Dwayne's behalf with many other commentators - It's hardly a case of racism.

I think people are expecting too much. It is impossible to be an expert on every sporting competition. There are just not enough hours in the say. I think Dwayne does okay.

Not an expert but sound like you’re an expert. That’s what the accomplished do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back