1116 SEN 2024 line up

Remove this Banner Ad

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I travel home between 4 and 6 like many.

I like to listen to the Ox on SEN,

I started to wonder why I was traveling such great distances and not hearing any footy news.

I started counting,

SEN were doing sets of 11 x 30 seconds adds with 5 minute breaks to listen to the Sports team.

That works out to over 1 hour out of 2 which is advertisements, toss in the news as well ...

You are killing the Golden Goose SEN ... I know you need advertising dollars but to stack them all into the time most of us are traveling ... not bloody good enough.:mad:

Can hardly wait for the 6 to 8 show on 3AW with Gerard Healy ... they run adds only every 15 mins.

I agree its geting a bit much, the other thing that shits me is host are talking about a topic, then they go to sports central and they repeat what just been discussed and then go to the news and use a grab about what being discuss all within 10 minutes

I agree its geting a bit much, the other thing that shits me is host are talking about a topic, then they go to sports central and they repeat what just been discussed and then go to the news and use a grab about what being discuss all within 10 minutes

slowly but surely people will start to pick up on this and begin turning off.
another thing that shits me, they have to include luxbet or centrebet odds in nearly every sport they talk about. i love the horses but this is far too much for me.
sometimes the actual show doesn't come on after the hourly news breaks until 9 or 10 minutes pas the hour. 1 morning i remember m/g starting back at 8.12am after what seemed like an eternity of news, weather and ads. these guys aren't giving us our moneys worth, getting more and more like an infomercial every day. fineys program is one of the only ones that has reasonable amount of content, and i agree with sports central, they tell you the news after they've just had the news. and dorans "your views on the news" where they string out a news break for an hour is utter crap.
smarten up barry quick and mark johnson, you are losing listeners

I used to listen, but don't give it the time of day now. I used to listen whilst in the shower, but they ended up just being time spent listening to ads and the like and got nothing of value. Like others, be driving along and hear bugger all because of the ever repetitive sports central, ads and old news. Plus half the presenters are flogs who don't care for your opinion or even care that you can sit on the phone waiting to talk to someone like KB for ever and a day, say your piece in a mili-second and then be told by them that you're basically wrong no matter what. Its a joke!

More and more people I know are turning off and its going to continue. Instead of sacking people because of their point-of-view, maybe they should look at what they're dishing out themselves.

there's 2 sides of the coin here.

Remember before sen when we didn't have a 24 hour sports radio - pretty pathetic. We all had to wait till 6pm for 3aw.

Agree, the extreme lengths of ads are really annoying, especially on the breakfast show. I've even timed them.

There is a news break that goes for 4 minutes. Then there are 5 minutes of inane ads. Then Tim does the weather. They then mumble on for 7 minutes. Then they do sports central. 5 more minutes of the same inane ads. another 7 minutes of mumbling. So the presenters contribute half the show.

Now that's what I call getting ripped off. The morning show is really quite pathetic which offers very little. If you really think about it, it is nothing more than time thief.

there's 2 sides of the coin here.

Remember before sen when we didn't have a 24 hour sports radio - pretty pathetic. We all had to wait till 6pm for 3aw.

Agree, the extreme lengths of ads are really annoying, especially on the breakfast show. I've even timed them.

There is a news break that goes for 4 minutes. Then there are 5 minutes of inane ads. Then Tim does the weather. They then mumble on for 7 minutes. Then they do sports central. 5 more minutes of the same inane ads. another 7 minutes of mumbling. So the presenters contribute half the show.

Now that's what I call getting ripped off. The morning show is really quite pathetic which offers very little. If you really think about it, it is nothing more than time thief.

agree about the issue of before sen came along but i have listened since the first day, the first ever show as a matter of fact and the changes have been unbelievable. they churn through callers extremely quick (francis leach is the worst, just cuts them off) but another annoying thing about morning glory aside from ads is when radar will talk about a topic and then say "94291116, give us a call with your thoughts etc etc" and you ring up and then realise it's 7.56am and you wont even get through. likewise when they leave their interviews too late and have to cut them off for the news, very disrespectful.
i now listen to ross and john on 3aw, kb on sen, doran :eek: just because it's similar to a car crash (your disgusted but strangely can't look away) run home (i turn off when they crap on too much, francis and soccer, beer o'clock - boring as batshit)
the content they give r.e. sport is good it's just that it comprises only about 30% of total airtime.

slowly but surely people will start to pick up on this and begin turning off.
another thing that shits me, they have to include luxbet or centrebet odds in nearly every sport they talk about. i love the horses but this is far too much for me.
sometimes the actual show doesn't come on after the hourly news breaks until 9 or 10 minutes pas the hour. 1 morning i remember m/g starting back at 8.12am after what seemed like an eternity of news, weather and ads. these guys aren't giving us our moneys worth, getting more and more like an infomercial every day. fineys program is one of the only ones that has reasonable amount of content, and i agree with sports central, they tell you the news after they've just had the news. and dorans "your views on the news" where they string out a news break for an hour is utter crap.
smarten up barry quick and mark johnson, you are losing listeners

Since when do we have to pay for it? It's a 24 hour a day sports radio channel, the only one!

That being said, i agree that there are way too many ads also, but i generally just flick it over to Triple J during those times anyway!

Because they have sacked all their announcers and need to fill in time?:p

SEN have lost me as a listener!

Since when do we have to pay for it? It's a 24 hour a day sports radio channel, the only one!

That being said, i agree that there are way too many ads also, but i generally just flick it over to Triple J during those times anyway!

do you use electricity to have the radio turned on, or batteries or in the car on the way to work?
we all pay in one way or another, we may purchase from people that advertise on the station, that supports them as well, dont be so naive:rolleyes:
as far as being 24 hour sports, mate they chock up about 10 or 11 hours MAX of actual content, the rest is s**t advertising over and over again. they want to be different or just an AM version of Fox or MMM with all the ads. actually they are turning into Mix FM, bland and void of controversy.
i agree this is better than no sports station at all, but when you've been listening since they first began and notice how different it is to what they started out from it is very disappointing.

Nothing better than leaving work and hopping in the car at 4:55 and not lisenting to SEN because its going to be 10 minutes of adds, news I already know, weather I don't give a s**t about, traffic which affects 1% of the population and then more adds.

Did any of you guys know freeways get busy during peak hour? I keep forgetting.

In terms of commercial media entities, radio is like newspapers. The thing that pays for their existence - keeps the presses rolling and the air waves humming - are ads.

And the thing that determines how much they charge for their media is the readership or ratings. Take a listen to the ads on SEN - you're not going to hear many blue chip brands spruiking their wares. It's all ads for people like 'The Tint Professor'. It's low rent crap because SEN's audience is so small they virtually give the media away.

Simple equation: less revenue per ad means more ads.

Because it's cheap, advertising on SEN is accessible for companies and services who wouldn't normally consider it. But gee, the average punter just walks away because of the sheer weight in every bracket. The reality is the advertiser blows their dough because people just switch off.

SEN is a disgrace not only because of the amount of ads, but also the lack of content. Being positioned as the 'only sports station' will only take them so far if they can't provide a decent product. And by product I don't mean advertising.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How the hosts don't top themselves at the high rotation of CGU, U.D Trucks and Frank Walker ads, I don't know. I use this time for adding profanity and filth to the air around me. Then I hit the FM (F#ck Me) button about then....

The ads are simply a lame attempt to distract the listener from the 24 hour program that they claim to be made up of different shows but which, in reality, are pretty much identical. SEN is The Herald-Sun of radio and that's a sad indictment.

Everything's for the money now-a-days.

SEN are no exception.

How the hosts don't top themselves at the high rotation of CGU, U.D Trucks and Frank Walker ads, I don't know.

Also that car ad with daniel harford spotting lemons. Can just about recite that ad verbatim (heh), but have no idea what company it's for. Some well spent dollars on their behalf, I'm sure.

TBH other shows are just as bad. The pre-game wrap on other footy stations are probably worse than SEN for ads.

However the Morning Glory is a joke. It's a crud show anyway but you get about 20 minutes of content in an hour. For example from 7-8 would approximately be this
7:00-7:08 news and ads.
7:08-7:15 show
7:15 - 7:22 SEN news update which repeats what we heard 15 minutes ago. Or sometimes if a big interview happens on the show, they will tell you what just happened. Ads also
7:22 - 7:27 about 5 minutes of the show
7:27-7:30 ads
7:30 news

Rinse and repeat for the next 30 minutes. That's about 14 minutes per half an hour, 28 minutes per hour. And that's being ultra conservative in how long ads and news takes.

TBH other shows are just as bad. The pre-game wrap on other footy stations are probably worse than SEN for ads.

However the Morning Glory is a joke. It's a crud show anyway but you get about 20 minutes of content in an hour. For example from 7-8 would approximately be this
7:00-7:08 news and ads.
7:08-7:15 show
7:15 - 7:22 SEN news update which repeats what we heard 15 minutes ago. Or sometimes if a big interview happens on the show, they will tell you what just happened. Ads also
7:22 - 7:27 about 5 minutes of the show
7:27-7:30 ads
7:30 news

Rinse and repeat for the next 30 minutes. That's about 14 minutes per half an hour, 28 minutes per hour. And that's being ultra conservative in how long ads and news takes.

Diabolical.
Writing ads for radio is about engaging the listener. That's hard enough without having it dropped into a seemingly endless morass of crap that no one in their right mind is going to engage with.

Can't see how SEN's current barrage of noise does their advertisers any favours or, and this is the criticial point, delivers value for their media money. 'Cause with the programming that you've described above, it's a graveyard for advertisers.

The problem is that the type of companies who advertise on SEN are often such minnows that they're often seduced by hearing their product on the airwaves and lose sight of the consumer/listener. They often have little objectivity or understanding of the way that advertising works (or doesn't) with consumers.

The sooner they wise up to how they're actually wasting their money (even though SEN is small change) the better for all concerned.

And hopefully that'll mean stations like SEN will reevaluate their advertising to content model.

One thing that no one has mentioned which, surprises me, is SEN's level of 'integrated content' - plugs, 'brought to you bys' and 'sponsored speech' - is fairly intense too, especially when they're calling a game. They use it to liberally season
whatever content they manage to squeeze in around the ads... and so it goes.

Diabolical.
Writing ads for radio is about engaging the listener. That's hard enough without having it dropped into a seemingly endless morass of crap that no one in their right mind is going to engage with.

Can't see how SEN's current barrage of noise does their advertisers any favours or, and this is the criticial point, delivers value for their media money. 'Cause with the programming that you've described above, it's a graveyard for advertisers.

The problem is that the type of companies who advertise on SEN are often such minnows that they're often seduced by hearing their product on the airwaves and lose sight of the consumer/listener. They often have little objectivity or understanding of the way that advertising works (or doesn't) with consumers.

The sooner they wise up to how they're actually wasting their money (even though SEN is small change) the better for all concerned.

And hopefully that'll mean stations like SEN will reevaluate their advertising to content model.

One thing that no one has mentioned which, surprises me, is SEN's level of 'integrated content' - plugs, 'brought to you bys' and 'sponsored speech' - is fairly intense too, especially when they're calling a game. They use it to liberally season
whatever content they manage to squeeze in around the ads... and so it goes.

Yeah, it's painful. As soon as I hear something like a "Man to Man Match-Up" I switch to the ABC. We're attaching a clothing outfitter's name to a match-up - give me strength Lord!
SEN could be sooooo much better. It's amateur hour pretty much all day. I find it hilarious that the 'E' in SEN stands for entertainment - although, if I find it hilarious then I suppose in some bizarre way, I've been entertained. Dr Turf is the only truly entertaining person associated with SEN. The rest are simply shooting fish in a barrel - LAZY, CLICHED, REPETITIVE.

Yeah, it's painful. As soon as I hear something like a "Man to Man Match-Up" I switch to the ABC. We're attaching a clothing outfitter's name to a match-up - give me strength Lord!
SEN could be sooooo much better. It's amateur hour pretty much all day. I find it hilarious that the 'E' in SEN stands for entertainment - although, if I find it hilarious then I suppose in some bizarre way, I've been entertained. Dr Turf is the only truly entertaining person associated with SEN. The rest are simply shooting fish in a barrel - LAZY, CLICHED, REPETITIVE.

Finey is allright when he's not in one of his foul 'bogan' moods, and Born in the USA on Sunday nights is always great, I really wish they had Steve and Ed on more often on SEN , they are very easy going and don't take them selves too seriously (hello Doran ...)

They often have little objectivity or understanding of the way that advertising works (or doesn't) with consumers.

I won't buy anything advertised on SEN, simply because every ad annoys the hell out of me. All the ads just scream budget...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back