1116 SEN 2024 line up

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the obsession with the NBA?

2 mins into the first qtr Golden State 4 who cares 2 and wow whatta about the Nets this morning and that dunk by Devawnty Blahblahbasham.
Who cares?

I rarely listen these days due to work and other commitments but it is either ads when I tune in that awful Trackside on the weekend or some host rubbing one out about the NBA.

2 mins into the first qtr Golden State 4 who cares 2 and wow whatta about the Nets this morning and that dunk by Devawnty Blahblahbasham.
Who cares?

I rarely listen these days due to work and other commitments but it is either ads when I tune in that awful Trackside on the weekend or some host rubbing one out about the NBA.

It's weird that Australia is so obsessed with it yeah. NBA definitely has it's place in the culture in the USA but if you look at the numbers when it comes to actual TV ratings, the interest in it does not warrant the attention it receives.

Who cares?

It's weird that Australia is so obsessed with it yeah. NBA definitely has it's place in the culture in the USA but if you look at the numbers when it comes to actual TV ratings, the interest in it does not warrant the attention it receives.

Im also curious to know what the TV ratings of the NBA are too. And do ratings mean anything?

I think people say the same thing about the NFL too, people have bemoaned the coverage the Super Bowl gets and even boycotted SEN during the superbowl call.

There are factors at play here.
The NBA is on during business hours (Eastern daylight time). One imagines this impacts ratings, as people are at work.
Currently the league has upto 10 aussies in the league. Interest is high for that reason as well.

Obsessed? Perhaps Australians like basketball, which translates into various leagues.

I am curious as to how much airtime the NBA should receive. From Mentallos post it seems it's a score update. It is a fact that if someone dislikes a sport (basketball, netball, rugby)/person (elton john, trump, biden, mandela)/political party (ALP, Liberals, Greens), the mere mention of them in the media, even the persons name, will create stress or even anger. And it may only be a 5 second grab but to that person it feels like hours worth. It's natural. In Mentallos case, where he/she barely listens, an NBA update may comprise say a few mins. But Mentallo perhaps listens 1 hour a week (total), hence, the 5 min update becomes 8%.

Contrast this with someone who listens to 20 hours a week, but by chance hears the same update and nothing else. That's less than 0.004%.

Another factory is the host. Derwayne loves basketball, so that's that too. Why don't gary and tim talk about basketball? Probably because their knowledge does not extend beyond afl. But also, again, there's no live scores to read out.

At the end of the day, i dont care if they give updates on darts or rugby league, or union, or whatever. Its a sports station

Who cares?

Many of the younger generation turn up at my local to watch NBA and NFL in the morning our time. I was surprised.

Speaking of which, just got word my local is staying open for England v Iran so I'll be heading down there at midnight.

Les was Hungarian/Aussie. More professional than any of

It was a TISM reference from Made Guy. I remember Les hosted the GP Motorcycle racing in the 1980's when SBS (bizarrely) held the rights. He was the sort of bloke you see at every ethnic social club, a real silverfox who knows a bloke who knows a bloke who'll flush your money 😕

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who cares?

it may have sumthin to do with Australia the 'Corporation' being run by an Administration in the District of Columbia ? yep that Columbia,the one definitely not on this land,some say "the foreign invader",the silent invader;)

Im also curious to know what the TV ratings of the NBA are too. And do ratings mean anything?

I think people say the same thing about the NFL too, people have bemoaned the coverage the Super Bowl gets and even boycotted SEN during the superbowl call.

There are factors at play here.
The NBA is on during business hours (Eastern daylight time). One imagines this impacts ratings, as people are at work.
Currently the league has upto 10 aussies in the league. Interest is high for that reason as well.

Obsessed? Perhaps Australians like basketball, which translates into various leagues.

I am curious as to how much airtime the NBA should receive. From Mentallos post it seems it's a score update. It is a fact that if someone dislikes a sport (basketball, netball, rugby)/person (elton john, trump, biden, mandela)/political party (ALP, Liberals, Greens), the mere mention of them in the media, even the persons name, will create stress or even anger. And it may only be a 5 second grab but to that person it feels like hours worth. It's natural. In Mentallos case, where he/she barely listens, an NBA update may comprise say a few mins. But Mentallo perhaps listens 1 hour a week (total), hence, the 5 min update becomes 8%.

Contrast this with someone who listens to 20 hours a week, but by chance hears the same update and nothing else. That's less than 0.004%.

Another factory is the host. Derwayne loves basketball, so that's that too. Why don't gary and tim talk about basketball? Probably because their knowledge does not extend beyond afl. But also, again, there's no live scores to read out.

At the end of the day, i dont care if they give updates on darts or rugby league, or union, or whatever. Its a sports station

It's just always been interesting to me that NBA has this place in the culture here for some reason. However so many people don't actually watch any games at all. They'll just watch highlights. Opinions will just be formed over something they see Skip Bayless or Stephen A have argued about, rather than formed their own opinions from the actual game.
Australian's don't like basketball enough though, everybody looks down on the NBL which has actually turned itself into quite a good and entertaining league, and some fans will even say that the NBL is a better pure basketball game to watch than the NBA.

My original point was the difference in media attention the NBA and NFL receive. There is bias there because I am a big NFL fan, but if you look at TV ratings, which is a very important metric, the NBA really is way behind. The NFL has like 45 of the top 50 shows on TV each year in the States. Plus I mean the standard NBA game is so irrelevant, predictable and boring, to provide regular score updates for a November NBA game is really pointless.

Then as another poster said the NBA is supposedly the 3rd most popular sport in Australia, but to which I wonder what defines popularity in this sense? Because yeah, jersey sales might be quite high, or hats etc, I myself own a few jerseys. However if you're looking at real minutes spend consuming live games, what is the top 3 or 5 I wonder.

It's just always been interesting to me that NBA has this place in the culture here for some reason. However so many people don't actually watch any games at all. They'll just watch highlights. Opinions will just be formed over something they see Skip Bayless or Stephen A have argued about, rather than formed their own opinions from the actual game.
Australian's don't like basketball enough though, everybody looks down on the NBL which has actually turned itself into quite a good and entertaining league, and some fans will even say that the NBL is a better pure basketball game to watch than the NBA.

My original point was the difference in media attention the NBA and NFL receive. There is bias there because I am a big NFL fan, but if you look at TV ratings, which is a very important metric, the NBA really is way behind. The NFL has like 45 of the top 50 shows on TV each year in the States. Plus I mean the standard NBA game is so irrelevant, predictable and boring, to provide regular score updates for a November NBA game is really pointless.

Then as another poster said the NBA is supposedly the 3rd most popular sport in Australia, but to which I wonder what defines popularity in this sense? Because yeah, jersey sales might be quite high, or hats etc, I myself own a few jerseys. However if you're looking at real minutes spend consuming live games, what is the top 3 or 5 I wonder.

Bit to unpack here.
I don’t know how many people watch basketball, or gridiron here. Not sure there’s somewhere that records this. I hazard a guess that tv ratings here aren’t large primarily due to the time difference and hours of broadcast.

I’d imagine a lot of people play basketball either socially or club wise. Without a measurement I’d say it’s a very popular sport.

I thought your point about the media attention to the nba was in relation to sen 1116.

As for updates for regular season games, for none that’s what a sports station does. If not, then non finals or playoff games need not be reported on be they basketball, gridiron, AFL footy, cricket etc.

I played plenty of Basketball , but not a lot of interest apart from how Aussies are going , used to sometimes go to Melb. Tigers .
Can't stand Grid Iron or Baseball , their too slow.
As for soccer i follow the EPL and absolutely no interest in it in Australia .

I think basketball is the perfectly complimentary sport for people who play a football code during the year. Play at nights, or during the summer. It’s a sport that thrives on being a fluid and versatile sport in that it doesn’t have forces baying for its blood. It slots in nicely with anyone.

I think heaps of people are interested in the game to see how the Aussie are going as you said.

Baseball is an interesting one. Many have sis over time how can we like cricket that goes for five days and think baseball is boring . But yeah I myself don’t watch baseball but power to those who do

I played plenty of Basketball , but not a lot of interest apart from how Aussies are going , used to sometimes go to Melb. Tigers .

Agree re Gridiron. I can't believe it's so popular here, in Australia.

How about the spanish or german leagues?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back