Past Sam Rowe

Remove this Banner Ad

This is terrible for him.
Career best form. I fear for his future. ACL, turning 30. Is he one of our out of contract players?
If he is, footy is such a ruthless business. Will the club wait for him?

It's done. Can't see the point of Rowe coming back at his age and status to give it another go.

Sad, but that's the way it is.

Fair enough, don't think its "fair" that a player should have bow out in this manner but sometimes it doesn't go according to plan.

Our medics have a lot to answer for here. This has happened many times before, if a player has a problem on the outside of the knee you have to be careful, even if tests don't show a tear. This has probably ended his career, given his age and how long it takes to recover and then regain confidence. Terrible news!

This is terrible for him.
Career best form. I fear for his future. ACL, turning 30. Is he one of our out of contract players?
If he is, footy is such a ruthless business. Will the club wait for him?
If the club won't keep him on the senior list, could he be retained as a rookie?

It's done. Can't see the point of Rowe coming back at his age and status to give it another go.

Sad, but that's the way it is.

Jeepers Harks. One moment you're saying you hope Jones doesn't read this stuff for what is being said and the next minute you have Rowe's career over one day after injury. Ease up. I swear some people on here would have a eulogy written before the patient is pronounced dead. :rolleyes:

PS FWIW I think he will be back playing in Navy Blue later next year!

As I said this morning. Rowe will weigh things up...have a chat with the club...and come to the right decision.

Just my opinion, but can't see it going any other way. Has a cause to sue the club and that won't happen given the character. It will be 'negotiated'
I'd listen to the interview McKay just gave SEN. Barring the surgeon saying he can't come back I reckon he'll be pulling on a navy jumper next year.

Jeepers Harks. One moment you're saying you hope Jones doesn't read this stuff for what is being said and the next minute you have Rowe's career over one day after injury. Ease up. I swear some people on here would have a eulogy written before the patient is pronounced dead. :rolleyes:

I didn't call Rowe the worst player in the league.......did I?
It's nothing against Rowe. He was always here this year to support the young guys and if you care to look back, you'll see my support for him.

As it happens it's an opportune time to lay more weight on the young guys now......no excuses.
Jones or ASilvagni perform and keep performing and the writing will be on the wall for Rowe. He's not stupid.

Think about it. What would you do?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harsh calling his career over.

Good clubs take care of their proven performers.

It's not all about kids.

Good clubs need a smattering of experience and also more than a bit of depth.

I'm sure the club will make it clear he is wanted, might not be on big dollars and mightn't be guaranteed a 22 spot (but who is? As BB said you get picked on FORM), but they'll take care of him.

He might only come back for one more year and mightn't play many games, but at least the door will be open for him.

Friends, Carltonians, thylacines, lend me your screens.
I come to praise Sam Rowe, not to bury him.

Sammy is not a sexy footballer, but after a rocky start has become an effective and surprisingly consistent footballer.
I think his last 1.5 seasons have been VERY good, highlighted by finishing eq 6th in the B&F last year (one vote behind 5th).

I feel for Sammy and whilst time is not on his side, 29yo is not ancient. AND he started professional footy later than usual.
So, I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if the club gave him another contract.

Not the greatest timing unfortunately, given our stocks of young KPDs, the recruitment of ASOS and recent form of Jones.
But he's overcome bigger setbacks than this before and I wouldn't rule out Sammy playing for Carlton again.

Whatever happens I put my trust in the club and Sam to work out what's best for all concerned.
Good luck with your recovery Sammy, you deserve it, whatever happens.

It's nothing against Rowe. He was always here this year to support the young guys and if you care to look back, you'll see my support for him.

As it happens it's an opportune time to lay more weight on the young guys now......no excuses.
Jones or ASilvagni perform and keep performing and the writing will be on the wall for Rowe. He's not stupid.

And in 12 months time ASOS and Jones might be injured and Rowe might come back well.

You don't know the future.

This is about a good club doing right by a good servant, fostering good culture and building depth with a mix of youth and experience.

He's not a high paid player. They'll be room and they'll do right by him.

Of course he might want to do something else entirely in his life.

So sad for him, has been a brilliant stopper over the last couple of seasons and overcome so much already. Such a s**t way for a career to end. Pretty sure it's not the first time one of our boys ****ed their knees after being sent back on (been trying to remember another, I'm sure there was one a few years ago).

Hopefully if he doesn't play on he can do something coaching wise for us, players with his sort of determination to succeed and overcome adversity can only help.

Worst part is there will be 'supporters' on here happy to hear this.

Friends, Carltonians, thylacines, lend me your screens.
I come to praise Sam Rowe, not to bury him.

Sammy is not a sexy footballer, but after a rocky start has become an effective and surprisingly consistent footballer.
I think his last 1.5 seasons have been VERY good, highlighted by finishing eq 6th in the B&F last year (one vote behind 5th).

I feel for Sammy and whilst time is not on his side, 29yo is not ancient. AND he started professional footy later than usual.
So, I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if the club gave him another contract.

Not the greatest timing unfortunately, given our stocks of young KPDs, the recruitment of ASOS and recent form of Jones.
But he's overcome bigger setbacks than this before and I wouldn't rule out Sammy playing for Carlton again.

Whatever happens I put my trust in the club and Sam to work out what's best for all concerned.
Good luck with your recovery Sammy, you deserve it, whatever happens.

Always makes me chuckle :D:thumbsu:

Let's start again.

Rowe is a terrific character and one we'd love around the club beyond this year.
Rowe knows what's in front of him and that by the time he gets back, only the VFL is likely to be calling.
Rowe is 30 years of age and given our re-build, he may not be part of the future.

Put all that together, what would you do?
If Rowe does want to come back, we'll support him.........but have a think about it.

It's unlikely that he would be able to come back and have an impact until 2019. He'd then have perhaps 2 years in him and be facing a well established backline to break into.

I can't imagine it'd make much sense for either party. Players have to live with these injuries post career.

Keep him. Valuable player that fills so many roles. People talk about keeping Daisy on because of his leadership, I think Rowe would be just as good. In the end I would leave it up to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back