Player Watch #18: Wil Dawson - #22 in '23 ND - 11d/8m vs CFC in VFL - T.Lynch says 'best game for the club'

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds crazy, hear me out, but maybe we should give this guy a go.

View attachment 1946730
I wouldn’t be against it to be honest. He is getting a lot of the ball across HB and creating a lot drive.

However, I’m not sold at all on his disposal/decision making and he is a complete liability defensively.

Can he chase and tackle in the front half? If so, swing him forward. We desperately need more forward half pressure.

Thought the major part of him leaving was because he didn’t want to play forward
He seems happy to be versatile, so long as he's getting senior game time.

“Carlton made it somewhat clear that it was going to be pretty difficult for me in the years to come.

“For me, playing senior football is obviously important and going to a club that is up and coming and can do something similar to what Carlton did this year (is important).”

Speaking to the pitch from Alastair Clarkson, Fisher said: “I think the versatility he really liked. The ability to play half-back if needed but also be a dangerous forward or go inside. For me personally, I’m really excited to get a pre-season at half-back to learn the craft and system behind it to make me a more reliable defender, but I still want to be able to work on the other craft so I can impact in those areas.

I think with Kerch, Sheeze, and Scott available at HBF, and basically no zippy small forwards in the seniors, it would make sense to give it a burl.

Would be instantly more successful than Corr as the intercepting 3rd defender, already.

Tell Corr (as hard as he finds it) to park himself 20cm from his forward at all times.

I don't really see much of a difference physically between someone like Pink and Dawson personally. Pink is hardly a monster and Dawson is 202cm with a long reach, something that Kallan or Corr will never be.

He has the footy IQ.

It's important we don't throw him to the wolves, but we need an actually intercept marking presence, Pink and K.Dawson have spilled about a dozen uncontested intercept marks across the first 3 rounds.

Will already has one of the best pairs of mitts at the club.

I still have high hopes for Kallan, he's shown a good ability to come off his man and push up and he's clearly got the athletic ability. He really suits playing on those 3rd tall forward types, not being told to man Jye Amiss and Charlie Curnow.

I recall saying during the preseason that I hoped Will gets a game sooner rather than later, particularly given the lack of options down back.
The experts on here howled me down. Seems a few a starting to share my view

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel Curtin, isn't he injured ? has he even got on the field yet

He played in the back pocket on the weekend for the Crows SANFL had 10 marks of mainly chip arounds.

Was just OK by most reports.

Ben Waterworth probably failed to realise Will Dawson topped the VFL for intercept marks in Rnd 2 and is the youngest player on an AFL list in 2024 (and is 202cm's...)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young defender Wil Dawson will also face a test, after missing last weekend's action due to a shoulder issue.

The 2023 first-round draftee sustained a solid hit to his AC joint in the VFL side's one-point win over Brisbane in Round 3, and subsequently missed the group's recent bout with Box Hill.

"Wil reported significant soreness and lacked mobility early last week," North Melbourne head of performance Kevin White told NMFC Media.

"He's improving steadily and will put his hand up for selection if he can demonstrate good function and strength this week in training."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back