Player Watch #18: Wil Dawson - #22 in '23 ND - 11d/8m vs CFC in VFL - T.Lynch says 'best game for the club'

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d be happy to see him get a run. Just as capable as anyone else in our back 6 and not like he would be replacing anyone of any substance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a bunch of conservatives you guys are.

The kid is an elite intercept mark. His got a heap of determination and thirst for the challenge. He’s 15kg heavier than Bergman, and he’s not that much lighter than Jake Lever or our very own Chalky Combden. Has played quite a number of minutes on Souv during intraclub games.
Not suggesting he’s round 1 ready, but he could just as easily play 3rd defender in the ones as 1st or 2nd defender in the VFL.

The kid is an elite intercept mark. His got a heap of determination and thirst for the challenge. He’s 15kg heavier than Bergman, and he’s not that much lighter than Jake Lever or our very own Chalky Combden. Has played quite a number of minutes on Souv during intraclub games.
Not suggesting he’s round 1 ready, but he could just as easily play 3rd defender in the ones as 1st or 2nd defender in the VFL.

IMG_3965.gif

The only team he could handle the 2nd or 3rd forward for would be us.

And that's assuming he's lucky enough to score a CCJ or Taylor.

Zurhaar, Curtis or Ford would tie him in knots.

And that's the 17th side..

Needs time.

Fair shout. Just checked and geelong’s de Koning was about 87kg in 2022.

Needs time.
He needs time but I think that time is a little shorter than I expected on draft day.

I was thinking that he might start to get a game in the 2nd half of 2025 or early 2026.

Now I think that timeline has moved forward 12 months. I wouldn't be shocked if, after a good run in the vfl, he gets a game late in 2024 or very early in 2025.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs time.
Could potentially match up on a young KPF like Cadman or third tall like Gunston

He needs time but I think that time is a little shorter than I expected on draft day.

I was thinking that he might start to get a game in the 2nd half of 2025 or early 2026.

Now I think that timeline has moved forward 12 months. I wouldn't be shocked if, after a good run in the vfl, he gets a game late in 2024 or very early in 2025.
He looks a very likely type, a taster or two late in the year would be great. He's not Bergman size but we also want to avoid a repeat of that and miss games which will then impact into next year as well and pre season / training for 2025. I'd take a guaranteed full 2024 VFL season over 1-2 AFL games if I had to choose now.

The 2022 vs 2023 draft is going to be an interesting battle in a few years.

Sheez, GW, George, Harvey

vs

McKercher, Duursma, Dawson, Goad & Hardeman.

Dawson and Goad loom as the big tie breakers.
The fact that you've listed 9 players, half of our starting 18, bodes very well for our future if they all reach their full potential. I'm hoping we look back on these 2 drafts in a few years and all agree that they helped change the trajectory of the club.

Last edited:
The fact that you've listed 9 players, half of a starting 18, bodes very well for our future if they all reach their full potential. I'm hoping we look back on these 2 drafts in a few years and all agree that they helped change the trajectory of the club.
If Harvey turns into a 30 goal a year forward for us and just two of Hardeman, Dawson and Goad lock down roles in the side we'll be sitting very sweet. I reckon we know what we're getting with Sheezel, Wardlaw and McKercher going forward. George and Duursma the two with massive ceilings but from this point it's close to impossible to tell what they'll do at the top level.

If Harvey turns into a 30 goal a year forward for us and just two of Hardeman, Dawson and Goad lock down roles in the side we'll be sitting very sweet. I reckon we know what we're getting with Sheezel, Wardlaw and McKercher going forward. George and Duursma the two with massive ceilings but from this point it's close to impossible to tell what they'll do at the top level.
It sure beats the days of hoping that Ryan Clarke, Mitch Hibberd, Corey Wagner & Declan Mountford can become half-decent footballers.

The 2022 vs 2023 draft is going to be an interesting battle in a few years.

Sheez, GW, George, Harvey

vs

McKercher, Duursma, Dawson, Goad & Hardeman.

Dawson and Goad loom as the big tie breakers.

We've absolutely smashed the last two drafts imo and on all viewings in AFL environments.

Agreed.

Also consider 2021 with Goater and Curtis.

And 2020 with Philips, Powell, Lazzaro and ford

Remove this Banner Ad

Back