Player Watch #2: Jacob van Rooyen – re-signed until 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

How simple and effective is his set shot?

Even that little 25m Liam-Jurrah-esque set shot he popped through as the rain was coming down. Just nursed it through.

I love him

Petty is very similar.

How simple and effective is his set shot?

Even that little 25m Liam-Jurrah-esque set shot he popped through as the rain was coming down. Just nursed it through.

I love him
certainly glad he's not just an athletic tall forward, also has the kicking skills to put the ball through the big sticks

Not sure he's kicked a single goal that wasn't from a set shot yet, definitely needs to work on being dangerous from the ground ball inside 50 but he's basically as close to Jack Riewoldt as a threat inside 50 as you can get

Got on the end of the Melksham tap and Chandler handball on the weekend. Still think hes going to be a far bigger boy than JR long term. Reckon he becomes a one on one beast.

Got on the end of the Melksham tap and Chandler handball on the weekend. Still think hes going to be a far bigger boy than JR long term. Reckon he becomes a one on one beast.
Potentially could get larger but I mean more so that because of his height he's never gonna be a stationary forward, he's gonna be a run and jump and attack from different angles type and also get you on the lead. Got multiple ways to beat you.

An yeah he did, I reckon he's got less than 5 goals from open play this year which is weird for modern footy. Another string he can had to his bow

Potentially could get larger but I mean more so that because of his height he's never gonna be a stationary forward, he's gonna be a run and jump and attack from different angles type and also get you on the lead. Got multiple ways to beat you.

An yeah he did, I reckon he's got less than 5 goals from open play this year which is weird for modern footy. Another string he can had to his bow

I think he can absolutely be a stationary forward. He's big in the shoulders , will pack on muscle no problems. Reckon he ends up more Charlie Dixon than Jack Riewoldt

I think he can absolutely be a stationary forward. He's big in the shoulders , will pack on muscle no problems. Reckon he ends up more Charlie Dixon than Jack Riewoldt
He can beat guys one on one but the way he launches at the footy and leads as well you can't just have a strong guy stand on his shoulder to stop him because he has more to his game. Comparison to Riewoldt is Riewoldt was slightly undersized but actually marked at his highest point, JVR does the same

He can beat guys one on one but the way he launches at the footy and leads as well you can't just have a strong guy stand on his shoulder to stop him because he has more to his game. Comparison to Riewoldt is Riewoldt was slightly undersized but actually marked at his highest point, JVR does the same

I see JR more as a flanker/3rd tall. I see JVR as a proper KPF. JR far more athletic, JVR far stronger. Height aside. Just their playing styles differ imo.

I see JR more as a flanker/3rd tall. I see JVR as a proper KPF. JR far more athletic, JVR far stronger. Height aside. Just their playing styles differ imo.
JVR doesn't have the skills of Riewoldt on the deck that's not the comparison, I mean in their F50 craft. Riewoldt one of the few in the league who can beat you in everyday, one on one, lead, pack mark and reading the footy better. JVR looks like can do it all aswell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has kicked 22 goals from 15 games in his first year of footy.

Sam Weideman highest tally of goals in a year after 8 years in the AFL system is 19....

Don't know why I made that comparison.

He kicked a few last year in the VFL

Has kicked 22 goals from 15 games in his first year of footy.

Sam Weideman highest tally of goals in a year after 8 years in the AFL system is 19....

Don't know why I made that comparison.

JVR average 1.46 goals per game.

Weid averaged 1.46 goals per game that season.

JVR reminds me of young Hogan, back when he actually ran and jumped at the ball.

Did just as well vs Thilthorp the week before

I think his F50 ruck work is excellent, was just making the point that he dominated Pickett, as expected.

I think his F50 ruck work is excellent, was just making the point that he dominated Pickett, as expected.
Yeah he’s a genuine second ruck option. Great standing vertical leap, which was unexpected.

Loved seeing him and Riewoldt on the same ground, JVR reminds me a lot of JR.

Also love how quietly decent his ruck work has been. To have a 20yo forward who can go into the middle and compete at centre bounces without giving up a significant advantage is absurd. Did he play much ruck as a junior? Brings the best of Watts, Hogan and Jackson. If he can weaponise his field kicking he’ll be elite even sooner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back