Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - '23 AA & '24 NM VC

Remove this Banner Ad

THE NORTH MELBOURNE YOUNGSTER THAT “REALLY INTERESTS” KANE CORNES

BY HUGH FITZPATRICK 38 MINUTES AGO

Kane Cornes believes North Melbourne forward Nick Larkey is one of the most “exciting prospects” in the game in 2022.

Taken with pick 73 in the 2016 draft, Larkey’s 2021 season saw him kick 42 goals in a struggling side, finishing with more majors than Josh Kennedy, Aaron Naughton, Tom Lynch and Jeremy Cameron.

Speaking on SEN’s Breakfast, Cornes feels the time the 23-year-old spent in the VFL at the start of his career has shaped him into the player he is today.

Nick Larkey is a player that really interests me from North Melbourne,” Cornes said.

“He did a nice feature with AFL Media and he spoke about his first 2.5 years at North Melbourne and how it did take him that long to be considered a regular player for selection and then we saw him break out last year.

“I think he’s one of the more exciting prospects in the game, he kicked 42 goals last year in a really ordinary side and I mean there’s upside to North Melbourne and we like their talent but playing as a key forward, particularly in that side, would be a complete nightmare.

“Have we lost the art of sending a player back (to the VFL), particularly the key position players to develop, 2.5 years it took him to even really get a look in and then you get the benefits of that.”

Larkey has kicked 82 goals from his first 51 games for the Kangaroos.

He assumed the number one key forward role at the club in 2021, with Ben Brown moving on to Melbourne.

The Roos will be hoping to develop a partnership between Larkey and Callum Coleman-Jones in 2022.

THE NORTH MELBOURNE YOUNGSTER THAT “REALLY INTERESTS” KANE CORNES​

BY HUGH FITZPATRICK 38 MINUTES AGO

Kane Cornes believes North Melbourne forward Nick Larkey is one of the most “exciting prospects” in the game in 2022.

Taken with pick 73 in the 2016 draft, Larkey’s 2021 season saw him kick 42 goals in a struggling side, finishing with more majors than Josh Kennedy, Aaron Naughton, Tom Lynch and Jeremy Cameron.

Speaking on SEN’s Breakfast, Cornes feels the time the 23-year-old spent in the VFL at the start of his career has shaped him into the player he is today.

“Nick Larkey is a player that really interests me from North Melbourne,” Cornes said.

“He did a nice feature with AFL Media and he spoke about his first 2.5 years at North Melbourne and how it did take him that long to be considered a regular player for selection and then we saw him break out last year.

“I think he’s one of the more exciting prospects in the game, he kicked 42 goals last year in a really ordinary side and I mean there’s upside to North Melbourne and we like their talent but playing as a key forward, particularly in that side, would be a complete nightmare.

“Have we lost the art of sending a player back (to the VFL), particularly the key position players to develop, 2.5 years it took him to even really get a look in and then you get the benefits of that.”

Larkey has kicked 82 goals from his first 51 games for the Kangaroos.

He assumed the number one key forward role at the club in 2021, with Ben Brown moving on to Melbourne.

The Roos will be hoping to develop a partnership between Larkey and Callum Coleman-Jones in 2022.
hang on. Shane said we had the worst ever AFL list....but on that list is one of the most exciting prospects in the game?

hang on. Shane said we had the worst ever AFL list....but on that list is one of the most exciting prospects in the game?
At the time he said it we were bloody poor and whilst it was a bit hyperbolic it was a pretty common opinion. I don’t like the guy but that was close. That said we clearly proved him wrong.

Having another proper key tall will help him immensely.

Whether that is Comben or CCJ remains to be seen.

I think the main beneficiary will be Zurhaar who won’t have to contend with having to play on the oppositions second defender.

I think the main beneficiary will be Zurhaar who won’t have to contend with having to play on the oppositions second defender.

Absolutely this regarding Zurhaar.

50 goals i reckon

Z is going to get some tasty mismatches this year.

Where does he rank among key forwards league-wise? Kicking 42 goals for a wooden spoon team is no mean feat. Has an amazing conversion rate which probably skewers his overall impact -meaning he doesn't get as many opportunities as other forwards. However you still have to kick them. With an improving team he will get better opportunities as well.

For next season I'd rank McKay, the Kings, Cameron, Hawkins, Kennedy and Franklin ahead of Souva (8 total). Perhaps generous to the last 3 named but can't rule them out at this stage.
Wouldn't take any of Brown, Riewodlt, Lynch, Dixon, Naughton, Bruce, Walker, Darling and Daniher ahead but each have a case.
Georgiades, Allen, Taberner, Kozi and Lewis some younger forwards in the mix but none ahead of Larkey at this stage.
All said he's already in the conversation for top 10.

For the long term only McKay and the Kings would be in front right now.

A super talent and probably overlooked a tad because of the embarrassment of riches in midfield. Any predictions on his ceiling?

Where does he rank among key forwards league-wise? Kicking 42 goals for a wooden spoon team is no mean feat. Has an amazing conversion rate which probably skewers his overall impact -meaning he doesn't get as many opportunities as other forwards. However you still have to kick them. With an improving team he will get better opportunities as well.

For next season I'd rank McKay, the Kings, Cameron, Hawkins, Kennedy and Franklin ahead of Souva (8 total). Perhaps generous to the last 3 named but can't rule them out at this stage.
Wouldn't take any of Brown, Riewodlt, Lynch, Dixon, Naughton, Bruce, Walker, Darling and Daniher ahead but each have a case.
Georgiades, Allen, Taberner, Kozi and Lewis some younger forwards in the mix but none ahead of Larkey at this stage.
All said he's already in the conversation for top 10.

For the long term only McKay and the Kings would be in front right now.

A super talent and probably overlooked a tad because of the embarrassment of riches in midfield. Any predictions on his ceiling?

I see him as a reliable 50 goal a year forward.

His lack of kicking penetration prevents him from scoring from 50+ metres.

Coz he's smart enough to stay close to goal and give himself an 85% chance of scoring a goal ?

Was more in reference to the other forwards listed being able to score from further out.

Larkey is deadly from inside 40. The other guys are dangerous out to 50-55.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this doesn't make sense to me. what actually skewers his overall impact is the worse and fewer deliveries you get when your midfield is young and getting beaten. Saying that Larkey being an outstandingly accurate kick gives a false impression of his worth is like saying Wayne Carey's clean hands or Lance Franklin's agility give false impressions of their worth. If a guy can kick goals more frequently than any other player, that's just one of his strengths. if he was getting the delivery of a top 4 team he'd probably just kick more goals and behinds in the same proportion.

this doesn't make sense to me. what actually skewers his overall impact is the worse and fewer deliveries you get when your midfield is young and getting beaten. Saying that Larkey being an outstandingly accurate kick gives a false impression of his worth is like saying Wayne Carey's clean hands or Lance Franklin's agility give false impressions of their worth. If a guy can kick goals more frequently than any other player, that's just one of his strengths. if he was getting the delivery of a top 4 team he'd probably just kick more goals and behinds in the same proportion.
It's clumsily worded but I basically tried to rebuke my own that point in the original comment. But you worded it much better.

Hopefully he can sustain the amazing accuracy because it's rather unprecedented (currently 2nd all time - https://afltables.com/afl/stats/accuracy.html ). Brown was very accurate early on but regressed as a cautionary example.

Larkey with good delivery: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/J/Josh_Kennedy0.html

Just watched that interview , what many of us have waited for. He couldn’t answer the question of who he would prefer for a forward delivery . We are getting some real depth in there now
Thought he might have mentioned Lazzaro. Brilliant kick off both sides, although maybe he’s not really playing that role at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back