Golf 2009 US Masters

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell is on fire! -9 so far for the tournament. Gonna be hard to peg him back unless he chokes.

-8 now after 17, but he was -11 after 10 holes, then bogeyed 11, 12 and 17.

And an FYI. The cut is the top 44 and ties, plus those within 10 of the leader.

The projected cut is +1. So Goggin on +7 is out and Badds on -2 is in.

A little about Chad Campbell.

He lead the 2005 Masters by 3 after the 2nd round. He then shot a 75 in the 3rd round to be tied for 2nd with Fred Couples and trailing Phil Mickleson by 1. He shot a 71 in the 4th round to finished in a 5 way tie for 3rd (3 behind Phil).

His other top 10 was 2nd at the 2003 PGA. He shot a 65 in the 3rd round to enter Sunday tied on -4 with eventual winner Shaun Micheel. Shaun shot even par in the 4th round, while Chad shot +2 to finish outright 2nd.

Damn, Anthony Kim is -6 through 17, with 10 birdies, 2 bogeys and a double bogey.

Tiger's -1 through 17 and on -3.

Badds shot +2 to be on -2.

Pity about Greg Norman. Not looking like an Aussie will get it this year.

Disappointing for Greg, really stuffed up the 13th, doubt he'll be able to get back in the field again :(

Interesting stat that only 2 out of the last 20 winners have come from outside the top 5 after 36 holes, was surprised at that. Got a whole lot of guys like Mickelson, Woods, Ogilvy etc. at 2 or 3 under. Ogilvy is the only aussie with a shot really, could of been a couple of shots better than he is, hopefully he can go low tomorrow.

Ignoring the 2006 US Open when Tiger missed the cut (which was just after his father passed away), this is looking like his worst major for 5-6 years.

He opened with a double bogey and is +1 through 12, currently tied for 23rd.

Kenny Perry is on -11 through 5 with Chad a stroke behind.

Ok who do we think will get up?

I'll go with an obvious and pick Kenny Perry because it would be a great story. Would say anyone from -5 has a chance.

Outside of the top 3 I'd like to see Todd Hamilton finish off strong to gain some type of vindication of the Open win a few years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought Tiger or Phil would go low today so not sure now who is going to win. Perry is playing some solid golf, Caberra is looking like he having one of his good weeks like when he won the US Open. Furyk would be the other option as well. I've got the feeling Angel might win this.

Aussies again disappoint, i expected more of Geoff :(

Well, some players have fallen around Tiger and he is T10 on -4. A top 10 finish would be a great result for him, and it would be his 10th top 10 finish at the Masters. I don't like Chad Campbell's chances, so it's Perry or Cabrera. I'll go with Perry. Very consistent scores, only 4 bogeys across 3 rounds.

Ok who do we think will get up?

I'll go with an obvious and pick Kenny Perry because it would be a great story. Would say anyone from -5 has a chance.

Outside of the top 3 I'd like to see Todd Hamilton finish off strong to gain some type of vindication of the Open win a few years ago.

Cabrera looks unflappable to me, I think he'll take this one out. The course seems quite docile (by Augusta standards) this week, if you're more than 4 behind I think you're gone. Remember for you Tiger punters, he's never come from behind to win a major after 54 holes.

My Sabbatini/Clark tip wasn't too far off the mark, both having solid weeks and could sneak in for a place.

Only an idiot would think Tiger could win from here.

Perry would become the oldest player to win a major (48y 8m 2d).

48y 4m 18d - Julius Boros: 1968 PGA Championship
46y 99d - Old Tom Morris: 1867 British Open
46y 2m 23d - Jack Nicklaus: 1986 Masters
45y 15d - Hale Irwin: 1990 U.S. Open
44y 93d - Roberto de Vicenzo: 1967 British Open
44y 41d - Harry Vardon: 1914 British Open
43y 9m 11d - Raymond Floyd: 1986 U.S. Open
43y 4m 16d - Ted Ray: 1920 U.S. Open

Steve Flesch has gone par eagle to move to -5 after 2, still 6 behind.

Badds is -2 thru 7 and up to -3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back