2017/18 offseason - player & coaching movement and other discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL rules stipulate we can only retain up to 22 players, so therefore we need to move on at least 6 players from our 2017 squad. This year we can sign 3 rookies with 2 rookies from other sports able to be signed from 15 May.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-10/afl-statement-on-2018-nab-aflw-list-rules
2018 list rules said:
  • Clubs will have a primary list size of 27 players for the 2018 NAB AFL Women’s Competition, with a further three rookie list spots available.
  • Clubs will be able to re-sign up to 22 players for their 2018 List during the Sign / Trade Period, which will operate from May 15-26 (2017 lists were 27 players, meaning a minimum of five players per club will be delisted).
  • During the May 15-26 Sign/Trade Period to build their 2018 List, clubs can re-sign players from their 2017 list (with the player’s agreement) and/or trade for players from other AFLW club 2017 lists.
  • Trades may only occur with the consent of the AFL and all players and clubs involved in that trade.
  • Trades are not restricted to 1-1 player swaps and can involve multiple players for one player, and can also involve multiple clubs within a trade.
  • Draft picks for the 2018 NAB AFLW Draft can be traded however future NAB AFLW Primary Draft selections in the 2019 Draft may NOT be traded.
  • Any player involved in a trade to another AFLW club must be signed by that club to its primary list for the 2018 season. A Player may not be on-traded.
  • Once a player has signed with a club, that player cannot be traded to another club for the 2018 season.
  • If a player elects to leave a club and that club is unable to secure a trade for that player, the AFL will have the discretion to determine if compensation selection(s) would be required at the 2018 NAB AFL Women's Primary Draft.
  • Contracts for all re-signed players must be lodged with the AFL by May 25.
  • The 2018 NAB AFL Women's Draft will be held in mid-October, to finalise lists for next season with the remaining spots available for all clubs up to their final primary list size of 27 players.
  • The Free Agency Period for the NAB AFL Women’s Competition will run from May 29 – June 1. Any player from a club’s 2017 list not offered a place for 2018 will be an unrestricted free agent. Any player from a club’s 2017 list offered a place for 2018 at a lower payment tier will be a restricted free agent.
  • Clubs may nominate up to two rookies who come from other sports for their rookie list, with the agreement of those rookie players, from May 15 onwards.
  • Father /Daughter Rule – A player may be nominated by an AFLW club to be a father/daughter selection if their father played at least one AFL game for that club.
The AFL will issue a paperwork summary at the conclusion of each day of the Sign and Trade Period of any trades / re-signings that have been formally approved that day.

The AFL will holding a meeting of all eight AFLW clubs at AFL House on Tuesday May 16 from 10am to 1.30pm where clubs will be able to discuss 2018 Primary List considerations.

How our list is shaping:

Re-signed (all confirmed by the club):
  1. McIntosh
  2. Bonnici
  3. Chiocci
  4. Duffin (Cameron)
  5. Schleicher
  6. Kuys
  7. Garner
  8. Livingstone
  9. King
  10. Grant
  11. Casey
  12. Morgan
  13. Barden
  14. D'Arcy
  15. White
  16. Bernardi
  17. Tesoriero
  18. Hutchins
  19. Hope
  20. Edwards

Rookie signings:
  1. Eliza Hynes (Australian volleyball)
  2. Georgina Parker (Olympic hockey)

Traded in from another club:
  1. Jaimee Lambert

Confirmed departures:
  1. Sheahan (delisted)
  2. Heil (delisted)
  3. Stevens (traded)
  4. Eva (traded)

Confirmed coaching departures:
  1. BACKLINE: Harmit Singh to Essendon (academies manager)
  2. MIDFIELD: Nikki Harwood
  3. FORWARD: Brendan Major

Confirmed coaching arrivals:
  1. SENIOR ASSISTANT & MIDFIELD: Daniel Harford (10 years previously at St Kevins and Balwyn)
  2. BACKLINE: Lynden Dunn (mentor to our AFLW side last year)
  3. Matthew Jones (Dandenong stringrays director of coaching)
  4. Chloe McMillian (promoted from development coach)

Coaches unknown status:

Unknown if development coaches (Hayley Gossow, Courtney Young) were retained or let go.

Last edited:
TD, I'm not altogether clear. Steph Chiocci talked of upcoming 'exit interviews' (brutal term) when I met her on Thursday.

Will post more here when we know more.

BTW, a good thread for us all to use, to keep track of player movement.

76woodenspooners brought up in the sponsor thread that the broadcast stated we only get to keep 20 players, Siekman used the same number in an article on the 'pies site. In terms of which 20 the best way is probably to consider who's a must retain and go from there, but I'm going to let the dust settle on our season before debating who stays and who goes.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2017-03-19/coach-hails-aflw-learning-experience
Siekman said:
“Next week, every player will come in and have an exit interview. They’ll go through their positives, and what they need to continue to work on. We will then do a medical on them, and then going forward, we will wait to hear back on the AFL about the list retention in 2018.”

“At the moment, where it stands, we’ll be able to retain up to 20 players on our list. But we’re not sure when that decision by the AFL will be made, or what that will look like. After that, we can start making list decisions for next year.”

76woodenspooners brought up in the sponsor thread that the broadcast stated we only get to keep 20 players, Siekman used the same number in an article on the 'pies site. In terms of which 20 the best way is probably to consider who's a must retain and go from there, but I'm going to let the dust settle on our season before debating who stays and who goes.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2017-03-19/coach-hails-aflw-learning-experience

Also, there's a possibility that some players will make up their own mind to go, whether because of age, desire to go home, or to do other things instead.

Also, there's a possibility that some players will make up their own mind to go, whether because of age, desire to go home, or to do other things instead.
I think we have 4 WA players on our list? There's every chance they'd prefer to play their footy at home next season.

At this stage I can't see many of the top players being poached from one Melbourne based club to another. So I assume most Victorian players we want to keep we'll be able to keep. But similarly I think the clubs would be recruiting predominantly from the new talent pathways in 2018. And any local players who impress this season but didn't get listed in 2017 for whatever reason.

If the AFL increases the number of marquee players then that might promote some player movement between clubs. And I think I heard a commentator say last week that if two clubs agree to a trade then the AFL will allow it but I wouldn't be expecting too many trades.

The other complication would be is if the AFL decides to go forward with expansion in 2018, but I really hope they wait until 2019

TD, I'm not altogether clear. Steph Chiocci talked of upcoming 'exit interviews' (brutal term) when I met her on Thursday.

Will post more here when we know more.

BTW, a good thread for us all to use, to keep track of player movement.

So everyone is on a 1-Year Contracts and Club Chooses who stays and who goes then?

I thought it be a good idea to have a thread about Player Movement's about the Women's Team

I think we have 4 WA players on our list? There's every chance they'd prefer to play their footy at home next season.

At this stage I can't see many of the top players being poached from one Melbourne based club to another. So I assume most Victorian players we want to keep we'll be able to keep. But similarly I think the clubs would be recruiting predominantly from the new talent pathways in 2018. And any local players who impress this season but didn't get listed in 2017 for whatever reason.

If the AFL increases the number of marquee players then that might promote some player movement between clubs. And I think I heard a commentator say last week that if two clubs agree to a trade then the AFL will allow it but I wouldn't be expecting too many trades.

The other complication would be is if the AFL decides to go forward with expansion in 2018, but I really hope they wait until 2019

Would hate to Lose King

I think we have 4 WA players on our list?

Yep, King, Schleicher, Edwards and hmmm, forgotten the fourth.

There's every chance they'd prefer to play their footy at home next season.

From recent CFC media (for what it's worth) it seems that Edwards hasn't decided yet, King seems to be enjoying herself in Melbourne.

At this stage I can't see many of the top players being poached from one Melbourne based club to another. So I assume most Victorian players we want to keep we'll be able to keep.

Hope has had a rough ride this season. I wouldn't blame her for wanting another fresh start, but I do hope she stays and we can see her best next season playing in the Collingwood colours.

Absolutely. It'd be foolish to expand too much too quickly. Give the competition a chance to settle.

I believe all the other AFL clubs who want teams are putting one in the VFLW comp? (Eg: Hawthorn). Ironically, they'll get more exposure playing 22 games (or whatever the VFLW season is) versus the 7 games of the AFLW season.

Last edited:
Hope has had a rough ride this season. I wouldn't blame her for wanting another fresh start, but I do hope she stays and we can see her best next season playing in the Collingwood colours.

Absolutely. It'd be foolish to expand too much too quickly. Give the competition a chance to settle.

I believe all the other AFL clubs who want teams are putting one in the VFLW comp? (Eg: Hawthorn). Ironically, they'll get more exposure playing 22 games (or whatever the VFLW season is) versus the 7 games of the AFLW season.[/QUOTE]

Only place Hope would go to would be at the Doggies as she is Very Close Friends with Susan Alberti and love to do her Proud

While some may not have liked Melbourne or may receive bigger offers from Freo, it's worth remembering that King chose to sign with us over Freo and last years draft was state based, so the other players also elected to nominate for the Victorian draft over staying in WA.

It will be interesting to see if any of the WA players stay in Victoria to play state league footy. Edwards has already stated she'll return to WA to play rugby in the off season.

So everyone is on a 1-Year Contracts and Club Chooses who stays and who goes then?

I thought it be a good idea to have a thread about Player Movement's about the Women's Team
As per the sponsor thread the marquee players are contracted until October and the remainder for about 1 month after the season finishes.

Yep, King, Schleicher, Edwards and hmmm, forgotten the fourth.
Morgan (#26)

I can see where you're coming from but that doesn't seem like her sort of character to me. There was that rumour she was jumping from the Sharks to the Hawks in the VFLW but nothing has come out of that yet. Hope is going to be a much improved player in 2018 so it would be a massive shame to lose her. Rightly or wrongly she still seems to be the face of our team.
I believe all the other AFL clubs who want teams are putting one in the VFLW comp? (Eg: Hawthorn). Ironically, they'll get more exposure playing 22 games (or whatever the VFLW season is) versus the 7 games of the AFLW season.
Yep, Geelong and Hawks both have their own VFLW team now. St Kilda have increased their alignment to the St Kilda Sharks. Richmond have aligned with the Bendigo Thunder. The Thunder aren't in the premier division as far as I'm aware though. I'm not sure what North are doing.

The Bombers haven't shown any interest in a team yet. Again as far as I'm aware.

I can see where you're coming from but that doesn't seem like her sort of character to me. There was that rumour she was jumping from the Sharks to the Hawks in the VFLW but nothing has come out of that yet. Hope is going to be a much improved player in 2018 so it would be a massive shame to lose her. Rightly or wrongly she still seems to be the face of our team.

Yep, Geelong and Hawks both have their own VFLW team now. St Kilda have increased their alignment to the St Kilda Sharks. Richmond have aligned with the Bendigo Thunder. The Thunder aren't in the premier division as far as I'm aware though. I'm not sure what North are doing.

The Bombers haven't shown any interest in a team yet. Again as far as I'm aware.
North have been aligned with Melb Uni for a while. The team they fielded prior to a JLT match comprised players for Melb Uni and Tasmania

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2016-04-23/roos-genuine-about-womens-football
http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2017-02-22/history-makers

EDIT:
For our part we spread things around

http://www.cfcfoundation.com.au/academies/
The club partners with the City of Melbourne and City of Yarra across a range of programs and activities. The Magpies also partner with Eastern Devils, Diamond Creek, Caroline Springs and Norwood Junior Football Clubs

Clinics with Eastern Devils
http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2017-02-28/register-free-football-clinics

Clinic with Oakleigh Chargers
http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2016-09-13/academies-register-your-interest

TAC cup girls
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...hargers-for-girls-league-20170303-guq5lz.html
Oakleigh regional talent manager Craig Notman said:
"With a new program we thought it was a really good opportunity to help solidify that linkage that we've got with the AFL club. And they've been really receptive to it," Notman said.

"We're continuing to work with Collingwood. We'll continue to build. But from our point of view they've been terrific, really proactive. They're really getting stuck in.

"The girls' stuff was a way, from our point of view, we could really strengthen that partnership, and it's going to continue to grow from our end."

Norwood Junior

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VFLW lists for 2017 are out http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...n/news-story/1d0dc1ac6b22c9d40152353bd3b1d4ff

Three of our four WA players have transferred to the VFLW - King (Eastern Devils), Schleicher (St Kilda) and Morgan (VU Western Spurs). Stevens has previously stated she's playing rugby in WA. Grant (Bendigo to Eastern Devils), Livingstone (Port Melb to Eastern Devils), Walker (Dandenong Stingrays to Seaford) have all stepped up from lower competitions to the VFLW. With Knox forfeiting their VFLW licence Kuys (Knox to Box Hill) had to move clubs to stay in the VFLW. Cameron (previously Diamond Creek) isn't listed.

Last edited:
Confirmation in that article too that Sheahan has been delisted and news that Heil has been too. With both coming off ACL injuries and still relatively small lists, it's probably unlikely either will be on an AFL list in 2018. Even at 30 Heil could be a chance somewhere in 2019.

The departures of Sheahan and Heil leaves us with 26 players to fill the 22 retained positions.

Collingwood announced Kate Sheahan and Kendra Heil would not be at the club in 2018, delisting the pair. Both suffered torn ACLs (Heil in the pre-season), and will have full access to club facilities and physios in their rehabilitation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back