Preview 2018 Fixture. Critical Game(s)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Wondering how supporters see the fixture and the critical games scheduled for next year.

For us I think It's pretty clear the round 2 fixture will be important to how our season goes. Versus the Pies at the MCG. A team we've beaten once very narrowly at Spotless last year. We need the MCG monkey off our back. I dont really beleive in hoodoos but better to have it gone.

Honourable mention to Geelong at their place in round 7 on our sole Friday night
game. I dont think the grounds a problem but we need to erase round 23 2017.

Also the Crows at AO in round 11, this one we just have to get right, we've never got close.

Thoughts?

I think we have a very good draw. We dont get you guys (GWS) until you have settled into your groove this time so that may present a challenge, but once again a Home Game helps

Essendon and Richmond 1st 2 games H&A is important but only for the good start. The Round 16 return to the MCG against Richmond will be important. They are in the middle of a group of 3 games that will see where we are at

WC home R15 , Richmond away R16 and Geelong home R17 the last 2 Friday night games. Important for our season and our sponsors

Wondering how supporters see the fixture and the critical games scheduled for next year.

For us I think It's pretty clear the round 2 fixture will be important to how our season goes. Versus the Pies at the MCG. A team we've beaten once very narrowly at Spotless last year. We need the MCG monkey off our back. I dont really beleive in hoodoos but better to have it gone.

Honourable mention to Geelong at their place in round 7 on our sole Friday night
game. I dont think the grounds a problem but we need to erase round 23 2017.

Also the Crows at AO in round 11, this one we just have to get right, we've never got close.

Thoughts?
Do you reckon Sydney derby could hit 40k attendance in round 3?

Do you reckon Sydney derby could hit 40k attendance in round 3?
Dont really care. It's the Swans home game. We hate the treck to the SCG, It's really hard get to, but the Swans like it. Our turn up there is poor It's all about their member numbers.

I don’t see any one game as being overly critical. Based on this year, just about every game looks winnable so any games the Tiges drop could be made up elsewhere.

Crows in Adelaide in Round 2 is a probable loss, so if they win that is back them for a huge year. If they lose it’s no biggie though because it’s probably the one game I’d pencil in as a loss.

Probably Demons in round 5 is a big one. Marquee game against a team that has had the wood over the Tiges lately. Probably a game they’d be expected to win too, so drop that one and it will create problems.

Most critical games you won't realise that they are critical until that point in the season where your team may or may not make top4, may or may not make top8 etc.

It's difficult to tell before the season starts which games will be critical for your team.

The first 5 rounds for Adelaide will be big. Essendon away Friday night, Richmond home Thursday night, Collingwood round 4 Friday night, Sydney away Friday night. be interesting to see the attendances and ratings for those.

Melbourne's whole front half of the season, oddly. Our run to the bye:

Geelong @ MCG - 35/65
Brisbane @ Gabba - 65/35
North @ MCG - 45/55
Hawthorn @ MCG - 55/45
Richmond @ MCG - 60/40
Essendon @ Etihad - 60/40
St Kilda @ Etihad - 55/45
GC @ Gabba - 65/35
Carlton @ MCG - 60/40
Adelaide @ Alice - 40/60
WB Etihad - 50/50
Collingwood @ MCG - 60/40

I can see us going 10-2 easily. If we are 7-5 or worse at the bye we are stuffed - we have to play 7/8 of the 2017 finals sides PLUS St Kilda and WB again.

Geelong @ MCG - 35/65
Brisbane @ Gabba - 65/35
North @ MCG - 45/55
Hawthorn @ MCG - 55/45
Richmond @ MCG - 60/40
GC @ Gabba - 65/35
Carlton @ MCG - 60/40
Adelaide @ Alice - 40/60
WB Etihad - 50/50

I can see us going 10-2 easily. If we are 7-5 or worse at the bye we are stuffed - we have to play 7/8 of the 2017 finals sides PLUS St Kilda and WB again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong @ MCG - 35/65
Brisbane @ Gabba - 65/35
North @ MCG - 45/55
Hawthorn @ MCG - 55/45
Richmond @ MCG - 60/40
GC @ Gabba - 65/35
Carlton @ MCG - 60/40
Adelaide @ Alice - 40/60
WB Etihad - 50/50

I have the vague idea our round 23 game might be significant as well. Lot of water to flow under the bridge before then though

Essendon's first 5 are critical for me.

Adelaide at home is a hard one straight off the top. Luckily it is at home...gives us a better chance than if it was over there.
Fremantle in Perth - now you would think the class factor sees us win that one and well. However, our travel record is rather worrying.
Bulldogs away at Etihad. That will be fun.
Port Adelaide at home. Once again glad it's not in Adelaide. Should win.
Collingwood on Anzac Day. Should have the class but it will be tight.

Going 3-2 at that point is a decent start.

Dont really care. It's the Swans home game. We hate the treck to the SCG, It's really hard get to, but the Swans like it. Our turn up there is poor It's all about their member numbers.
See, now you can understand why Geelong fans don't travel much to Melbourne games, especially Friday nights straight after work...

Geelong @ MCG - 35/65
Brisbane @ Gabba - 65/35
North @ MCG - 45/55
Hawthorn @ MCG - 55/45
Richmond @ MCG - 60/40
GC @ Gabba - 65/35
Carlton @ MCG - 60/40
Adelaide @ Alice - 40/60
WB Etihad - 50/50

if we have 8-9 wins by the time the bye comes around, I'll be happy with that.

As a Saints fan, our 2 games against Melbourne will be massive. They look to have turned the corner on us in regards to their rebuild and both teams will be desperate to make finals. Dees all in on the Lever deal while the Saints will add 2 x top 10 picks to the squad.

Also see beating West Coast as a big step, especially over there.

Finally our finish to the season will be super important - Bulldogs, Essendon and Hawthorn - All finished in that middle group fighting for finals. Bombers could be pushing for top 4 with their additions and, this far out at least, should get the job done, while the Hawks and Dogs will be scrapping for finals with us. Could be some intense games there.

Rounds 11-18 are looking quite brutal from a 2017 perspective:

- Round 11: Essendon (MCG)
- Round 12: Port Adelaide (AO)
- Round 13: Geelong (MCG)
- Round 15: Sydney (ES)
- Round 16: Adelaide (MCG)
- Round 17: GWS (SS)
- Round 18: St Kilda (ES)

That is quite tough, and I include St Kilda because of what they did to us at Etihad Stadium this year.

If we are talking 1 game though, I would highlight Melbourne in Round 5 as an important match. Early in the year against a potential strong co-tenant. Gotta get that win on the big stage.

Rounds 11-18 are looking quite brutal from a 2017 perspective:

- Round 11: Essendon (MCG)
- Round 12: Port Adelaide (AO)
- Round 13: Geelong (MCG)
- Round 15: Sydney (ES)
- Round 16: Adelaide (MCG)
- Round 17: GWS (SS)
- Round 18: St Kilda (ES)

That is quite tough, and I include St Kilda because of what they did to us at Etihad Stadium this year.

If we are talking 1 game though, I would highlight Melbourne in Round 5 as an important match. Early in the year against a potential strong co-tenant. Gotta get that win on the big stage.

I'll be watching those 7 games. They should be rippers!

A conditional one....for BF at least.

Rnd 2 Vs Adelaide, at AO.

If Adelaide wins, it'll be a critical, important game and there will be much crap about how that's how the GF should have been, blah blah blah.

If Richmond wins it, it'll mean very little and things like player turnover and the like will show that it's got no bearing on the GF result.

Kennett is back so games against Geelong just became more critical

I actually think that was more of a Paul Chapman curse. As soon as he left the Cats, the curse ended.

I think crucial games are often about how you play more than a W or L. This year I knew the Hawks wouldn't be competitive after the round 3 lose to the Suns. Contenders don't lose by 86 points to mediocre teams.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back