Strategy 2018 | Let's Construct Our Best 22 | Part 3: Forward Six

Which six players should fill the forward six positions in 2018?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah didn't even mention our boy Kent who if he made a miraculous comeback would be number 5 in that column ignoring Fritsch as well

And you've got Spargo and Fritsch who have just been drafted too. HFF types and inside mids we are well stocked for, we do need a genuine crumber before Garlett packs it in in a few years.

And you've got Spargo and Fritsch who have just been drafted too. HFF types and inside mids we are well stocked for, we do need a genuine crumber before Garlett packs it in in a few years.

Not too worried about crumbers you can have a lot of success later in the draft with them. Key forwards and gun midfielders are the ones you need to spend high picks on. Reckon we can plug the rest of the gaps in future years now with whatever picks we get.

Not too worried about crumbers you can have a lot of success later in the draft with them. Key forwards and gun midfielders are the ones you need to spend high picks on. Reckon we can plug the rest of the gaps in future years now with whatever picks we get.

Kobe Farmer 2019 draft the dream.

My team:

Melksham Hogan Petracca
Hannan TMac Garlett

He would instantly be my favourite player if we drafted him.

Mine too. The whiz was my favorite Melbourne player as a kid by a mile. Just magic what he used to do. If Rioli or Betts kicked 9 in a half in this day an age the commentators would have to clean themselves off the commentary box.

Mine too. The whiz was my favorite Melbourne player as a kid by a mile. Just magic what he used to do. If Rioli or Betts kicked 9 in a half in this day an age the commentators would have to clean themselves off the commentary box.

I think he is one of the more underrated players we’ve seen, he was just as good as Betts is.

I've gone with Trac Melk Hannan Hogan Tmac and Garlett.
My bench would be ANB Salem Harmes AVB.

Really good depth now. All 4 bench players could easily slip into the 18 and we lose nothing

As have i. I also like Harmes and ANB but there's only 6 spots. VandenBerg, if he ever gets to 100% fitness, would also be handy.
There now seem to be many forward options for a change.

I think he is one of the more underrated players we’ve seen, he was just as good as Betts is.

Mate he genuinely could play 1 out in the goalsquare and embarrass an opponent. Leaving for Freo genuinely hurt me and then David ******* neitz falling in his back for him win the game after the siren was just bullshit

I can still picture wiz running the length of Waverley, bouncing, handballing and eventually slotting my second favourite goal ever. My fav,of course, being froggy Crompton's in the '64 GF.

Interesting that 45% more voted Hannan over Harmes. I personally have Harmes in front, but hey, I am not picking the side or organising training camps.

I picked Hannan because he applies the most pressure of all our forwards Harmes probably wins more of the footy.

We’ve got a good bunch half forwards who can play midfield to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All of them will be in the side just might not be listed on the ground. But I'd be shocked if all 3 weren't in the round 1 side. All 3 bring different qualities that our side needs. Hannans ability to goal from nothing/melkshams powerful leg and big goal mentality and ANBs hard running and ability to link midfield and attack.

Yes, honestly wouldn't care which two of the three start on the ground, they all bring something to the forward line and will all get a go.

Petracca Hogan Garlett
Hannan Tmac Melksham

Won’t be surprised to see Fritsch somewhere in there early on. Also can see possibly ANB up forward again but will have him on my bench rotating through the middle. Harmes will also be a close call for a forward spot but again possibly on my bench.

Not sure where Petracca will play in the forward line tbh. Melksham and ANB would be nailed on as flankers IMO with both kicking so many clutch goals last season. Petracca however is also quality in that half forward area, he is a long kick for goal plus his kicking inside fifty isn’t too shabby either.

Petracca’s strength one out means he can also play a deeper role, but Hannan played very well this year 8MO and also applied good pressure. If Petracca wants to graduate to the midfield however, applying heaps of pressure inside F50 is a great start.

Given Hannan and ANB will also rotate through the guts it doesn’t matter which 6 is voted because I think we have a clear rotation of 7 forwards with Hannan, Petracca, Neal Bullen, Melksham, TMac, Hogan and Jeffy. It’s a really nice mix, Petracca and Melksham are both threats from fifty, TMac has the endurance to run up and down the ground to clear the forward fifty for Jeffy and Hannan to run in behind, and Hogan may also play up the field. Ideally we’d have one more elite ground level player though, although with ANB’s growth he might be able to play that small forward role at times even though I love him up the ground.

I think Hannan is an absolute lock. I’m thinking he could be in for a big year. He didn’t have much of pre season last year and I was surprised he came in and then impacted round 1. Looks much bigger and I assume fitter for next season.

Current standings:
1. Jesse Hogan (37)
1. Tom McDonald (37)
1. Jeff Garlett (37)
4. Christian Petracca (35)
5. Jake Melksham (27)
6. Mitch Hannan (22)

7. Alex Neal-Bullen (18)

Interesting!

These are the seven I see spending plenty of time forward this year. Could easily be our top seven goal kickers.

Back