Socceroos 2018 WCQ THREAD-v HONDURAS FOR SPOT IN RUSSIA (Dates TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sydney sports fans are fickle.
If Sydney Swans were on the bottom of the ladder they would be getting 10k crowds every week.
Thankfully for them they have never bottomed out.

actually they kinda bottomed out in the early 90s they had poor crowds given they were cellar dwellers

As long as we don't have Iran or Syria in our group...

Do Syria play at neutral venues?

Iran isn't a problem. They've actually reopened relations with western nations recently. It's probably one of the safest places in the Middle East these days.

Wow, NUFC Tiger, the Azkals prevent North Korea from going to the next stage, despite being ensured they make the 3rd round of qualifying (seriously, how the hell did you manage to lose to Yemen?!)

Now that's what I call some serious fighting spirit, to actually prevent them from qualifying. Heck, you only needed to draw with them, but to go on and win it 2-1 down? Nice.

Sorry for the slow reply mate - haven't had a chance to log on for almost a week (that thing called real life and all...)

Yeah! How amazing was that? Huge result for the game in the Philippines and a really encouraging sign for the future. Another night that might lay claim to 'the Thriller in Manilla'...

We also had a draw in North Korea - Mr crazy dictator man might not be too pleased. :p

A shame we slipped up against Yemen but it's a far cry from the days when we'd normally not even make the qualifying stage!

And we at least by finishing 3rd in the group, they made the third round of the Asian Cup - that's progress!

Fun fact for A League fans: Iain Ramsay scored the winner. What a man! :thumbsu:

Fingers crossed we can avoid the Middle East. We seem to struggle there.

I also hate that 5th pot, both Iraq and Qatar have tended towards bogey sides in recent times...

Best case scenario IMO:
Korea
Uzbekistan
China
??
Thailand

One of these days I'll finally get to Korea & Japan, I'd love to be able to marry it up with Socceroos or the Victory.

Given the top 4 get direct entry, onus is on those in Pot 3 or lower to punch above their weight.
Don't see the Saudis or Uzbekistan being able to fight their way in.
It's a very long qualifying campaign but I think we should be ok.
If Socceroos have any preference Id guess they'd be desperate for Thailand as opposed to Syria.

Given the top 4 get direct entry, onus is on those in Pot 3 or lower to punch above their weight.
Don't see the Saudis or Uzbekistan being able to fight their way in.
It's a very long qualifying campaign but I think we should be ok.
If Socceroos have any preference Id guess they'd be desperate for Thailand as opposed to Syria.

The games aren't actually played in Syria - they're playing, I think, in the UAE? (Maybe Qatar?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fingers crossed we can avoid the Middle East. We seem to struggle there.

I also hate that 5th pot, both Iraq and Qatar have tended towards bogey sides in recent times...

Best case scenario IMO:
Korea
Uzbekistan
China
??
Thailand

One of these days I'll finally get to Korea & Japan, I'd love to be able to marry it up with Socceroos or the Victory.
Qatar, definitely Qatar. Security concerns aren't as prevalent there.

Would definitely consider an away trip to Shanghai - always wanted to visit there, same with Macau (maybe could make a trip out of it!).

Would definitely consider an away trip to Shanghai - always wanted to visit there, same with Macau (maybe could make a trip out of it!).
Macau is friggin awesome. So many people I know go to Hong Kong and don't even bother going there for even a day which is a pity

Shanghai is amazing but very overwhelming.

Loved our time and wanted more, its just so big.

1/9 v QAT/IRQ home
6/9 v UAE/CHN away
6/10 v KSA/UZB away
11/10 v KOR/JPN home
15/11 v SYR/THA away

23/3 v QAT/IRQ away
28/3 v UAE/CHN home
13/6 v KSA/UZB home
31/8 v KOR/JPN away
5/9 v SYR/THA home

Love the timing if we get Thailand away. Very doable for me as planning a SE Asia holiday then anyway. Can then do Korea or Japan late next year too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back