Winter 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang [9 Feb - 25 Feb]

Remove this Banner Ad

I lived in whistler for a white can snowboard a bit haven't been for years now though.

The down hill course from the Vancouver Games is crazy enough just cruising down, pros flying down at 100km plus is insanity.

The ski runs are steep AF and like ice and the competitors absolutely fly down. I've fallen at low speed onto hard snow and it's like falling on a tennis court. One of my mates is a good snowboarder (significantly better than any of us at our varying levels) and did a speed to run to time himself on his phone or watch or something. I think he got to 60 km/h and the downhill skiers do double that. Nuts.

I stink at snowboard park stuff (I've done maybe a month worth of days boarding in my life) but the best way to appreciate that is do ride a chairlift that goes past one. You see the holiday makers cautiously going over little safe jumps while regulars are sailing metres in the air, doing flips etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ski runs are steep AF and like ice and the competitors absolutely fly down. I've fallen at low speed onto hard snow and it's like falling on a tennis court. One of my mates is a good snowboarder (significantly better than any of us at our varying levels) and did a speed to run to time himself on his phone or watch or something. I think he got to 60 km/h and the downhill skiers do double that. Nuts.

I stink at snowboard park stuff (I've done maybe a month worth of days boarding in my life) but the best way to appreciate that is do ride a chairlift that goes past one. You see the holiday makers cautiously going over little safe jumps while regulars are sailing metres in the air, doing flips etc.

They had 3 parks at whistler when i was there a beginner with baby jumps an intermediate with decent sized but still fun and one you needed to sign a waiver for :p

The intermediate park was fun but the pro one is for lunatics and still significantly smaller than the Olympics slopestyle course.

And yeah groomed runs suck i caught an edge and fell within a few days of arriving went and bought a helmet and never went without it after that.

It seems to be like all you got to do is keep the skis very close together the whole way down and make sure to turn on each mogul. The jump and time doesn't seem to matter

Turns are out of 60.

Air is out of 20.

Then there are points for the time you finish.

They had 3 parks at whistler when i was there a beginner with baby jumps an intermediate with decent sized but still fun and one you needed to sign a waiver for :p

The intermediate park was fun but the pro one is for lunatics and still significantly smaller than the Olympics slopestyle course.

And yeah groomed runs suck i caught an edge and fell within a few days of arriving went and bought a helmet and never went without it after that.

I started with a helmet, felt more comfortable with a beanie, split my head open, went back to a helmet.

It's all confidence. The best way to practice jumps is to make your own off piste so you fall into soft snow. As soon as it's out of your mind that falling will hurt you go much better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back