Training 2019 Preseason + Operations

For those who've had surgery before, was it a success?

• Yep! So glad I got it done. 100% symptom-free!

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • Yes, mostly. Some symptoms have returned, but still better than prior to surgery

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Yes, partially. It helped initially, but symptoms have returned similarly to the past

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Yes, but there were some complications in the first few weeks

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No, I got extra pain/infection/bleeding, and didn't feel better

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree. You're counter point would be setting up for an 80 m ball on top of the 50-60 m kick. Certainly doable, especially seeing the amount of time you'd have to adapt.
There's only a certain amount of space a team can zone off though. If you set up for an 80m kick then you're likely to leave space for teams to hit up a 25m kick to someone on the 50m arc, who can then still beat your zone.

It will be interesting to see how teams adapt. Until they do, I expect there will be some easy goals scored (either from coast to coast goals, or from turnovers caused by poor kicking skills). Teams will want to take advantage of getting the ball back in play as quickly as possible, but that only helps you if you can maintain possession.

There's only a certain amount of space a team can zone off though. If you set up for an 80m kick then you're likely to leave space for teams to hit up a 25m kick to someone on the 50m arc, who can then still beat your zone.

It will be interesting to see how teams adapt. Until they do, I expect there will be some easy goals scored (either from coast to coast goals, or from turnovers caused by poor kicking skills). Teams will want to take advantage of getting the ball back in play as quickly as possible, but that only helps you if you can maintain possession.

You are much better to give up the 25 m kick. The play is still relatively slow in that case.

Equally, you do have 22 players, and there tends to be one or two set up around 80 - 100 m as is.

Agreed. I'm not suggesting that teams will just run 25m and kick a torp down the middle. I'm talking about teams setting up their movement so that a forward or midfielder makes a lead to the middle of the ground for the player kicking out to hit up.

So it is still reliant on the player kicking out of defence being able to hit a target 50m away. Kicking skills will remain just as important as ever.
I actually think there will be a double flood

One at 30-35m and one at 60m

Because the person kicking out has 2 options. Teams set up for the long kick must guard the middle , if they do that the option MUST be the short kick to disperse that group at 60m. Then that 2nd kick goes long

It still comes down to your last line

I actually think there will be a double flood

One at 30-35m and one at 60m

Because the person kicking out has 2 options. Teams set up for the long kick must guard the middle , if they do that the option MUST be the short kick to disperse that group at 60m. Then that 2nd kick goes long

It still comes down to your last line
that could work, would take a good kick to pinpoint the whole in the mid of that but if you did then you are set.

I think maybe they will have a stronger zone through the centre corridor and a bit more space wide. That forces a wide kick that the zone can then push across and better guard the 2nd kick as its not a 360 degree option from there.

Hopefully having Smith and Seeds both having huge legs can help. In either zone set up if we can hit up Seeds 45 out and he can wheel on quickly and hit our F50 it could result in some real quick coast to coast options

What I expect to see are the flankers almost lining up on the boundary with a chf on the 50 m line with a fast crumber next to them to charge towards the ball up.

I’d have two players from the square; one leading to space towards the 50 and one staying put.

I’d assume the defenders to slightly zone of any wider players to guard the middle.

Back