2020 AFL International Cup

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Ok, I'm not 100% with the relative football standards across the leagues but as a starting point I would suggest.

1. The state competitions hold their grand finals after the AFL GF.
2. The premiers would then play off to become champion team.
3. The WAFL, SANFL and a Victorian league. I say Victorian league because any AFL affiliated teams should be banned except maybe the NEAFL. Of course Tasmania should be represented as well. IMO, Tasmainia should have been in the NEAFL by now.
4. If Tasmania played off against the NEAFL then there would be four elite teams producing a champion over two weeks.
The VAFA, with c. 11,000 adult male players, is easily the biggest in Australia. In rep matches, it usually defeats the next 2 strongest, non- VFL comps. in Vic., the Eastern Football League & the Victorian Country Football League.
A VFL rep team, IMO, would easily beat a VAFA rep. team. I'm not sure how a VAFA rep. team would perform against a non-AFL linked VFL team eg Williamstown.

The TSL & Tas. GR AF, sadly, due to the damage inflicted on it by the VFL/AFL neglect, would not be competitive against the SANFL or AFL.

Are you saying only non-AFL affiliatd NEAFL teams should be in this end-of-year comp.? How strong would they be?
How many games would be played in this comp/its format? Short game round-robin?

The Foxtel Cup, pitting state teams, was not popular. A relevant guide? It would be great to trial another, end of season comp. Clear air of the AFL is CRUCIAL.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RedV3x

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
How many games would be played in this comp/its format?
Williamstown is a good example as it played in the Foxtel Cup final. The Foxtel Cup faired as expected against football overwhelming competition.
I would exempt AFL aligned NEAFL teams only for the sake of a national competition. This probably sounds like a cop out.
I see only four leagues with three games over two weeks with possibly a fourth game for a NEAFL Vs Tasmania qualifier.
Thus:
1. Established teams with established followings.
2. State league teams boosted by representing their state.
3. Three big games only - that should produce a profit or at least be cost neutral.
4. A national champion from state leagues making for a national competition and national recognition.

I will play the devil's advocate and say the major problem is the AFL as they probably wouldn't allow dual affiliation with the new entity.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
seems this discussion is off topic...

In regards to the IC, I know quite a few people who have competed in this tournament and I think most would want it to remain in Melbourne. It's a shame the tournament doesn't get more exposure, but the internationals love coming over and seeing the iconic MCG, knowing they have a chance to play a final on this ground, or Marvel for the women last time. The novelty may have worn off for those who have been coming for years, but those coming out for the first time would disagree.

RedV3x

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
seems this discussion is off topic...
No. Just quiet.

In regards to the IC, I know quite a few people who have competed in this tournament and I think most would want it to remain in Melbourne.
It's up to the competitors as they're the ones forking out.

It's a shame the tournament doesn't get more exposure,
Well, that is a topic for discusiion. The main reasons the I.C. doesn't get any exposure is because nobody is pushing it and he I.C. is swamped by other football in Melbourne.

The novelty may have worn off
Yes, the novelty has worn off for a number of competitors playing in Melbourne and playing finals in empty iconic stadiums.
For example, teams could be playing at WAFL games with finals at the world's best stadium in Perth.
For example the I.C. GF could be played on the bye before the AFL finals.
For example the I.C. could be televised since it fulfills all the criteria.

Top Bottom