• James Knox (Young)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sam Oomen (Young)

• Tao Geoghegan Hart (Young)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Starts on Saturday. Does anyone think that anybody can beat Geraint in this field? Simon Yates should finish a comfortable second which says a bit about the field. And Nibali is still kicking around. Fuglsang is 3rd favourite having finished top 10 once in the 14 GT's he's started with no podiums, the Kruijswijk who has better results in GT's than Fuglsang, with 7 top 10 finishes from 17 GT starts and one podium.

I think Matthews is most likely to win the points classification, he's in good form, which Sagan is not, and hadn't ridden the Tour so has fresher legs than Sagan. Sagan is rightly favourite because of how many points classifications he's won but yeah, I think Matthews will beat him this time around.

KOTM is wide open this year. Can see Yates winning it just through how good he is at climbing, although I suspect someone like Miguel Angel Lopez might chace it as soon as he's out of GC contention.

Aleksander Vlasov will likely win the best young rider. I don't even know why I bothered with that poll.

Last edited:

I had already read the preview on Cycling News.

Voted Fuglsang because I don't want Ineos to win 🤷‍♂️
I haven't, what were the bullet points?

And Fuglsang would need to pull 5+ minutes on Thomas in the mountains, minimum, in a GT with two ITT's in it.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
I haven't, what were the bullet points?
Basically that
- the TTs make GT the favourite (but that puts a bigger target on his back)
- Astana has the best team and Fuglsang is probably the main threat
- Yates is in good form but the TTs really hurt him in terms of GC
- route suits Kruijswijk and he'll have the full support of team JV
- Almeida and Vlasov are youngsters to watch

Also mention other riders with a good chance of finishing in the top 10

Basically that
- the TTs make GT the favourite (but that puts a bigger target on his back)
- Astana has the best team and Fuglsang is probably the main threat
- Yates is in good form but the TTs really hurt him in terms of GC
- route suits Kruijswijk and he'll have the full support of team JV
- Almeida and Vlasov are youngsters to watch

Also mention other riders with a good chance of finishing in the top 10

Bizarre. Fuglsang isn't any better than Yates in a TT scenario and Yates, as mentioned, is in some pretty good form.

In the end we're quibbling over the minor placings unles Kruijswijk can produce what he's threatened to in the past.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Simon Yates has improved his TT's quite a bit but not to the level Thomas is at. Nibali always rises for the Giro and is flying under the radar a bit. I think he is likely to attack Ineos in the mountains which also helps Yates. I think the biggest question mark is the Ineos team, heavily TT orientated with no TTT, it's weird. I think they must be counting on Rohan Dennis as last man in the climbs but he is hardly proven in that role. Michelton look pretty good on paper, plenty of proven role players. With the TT's being shortish hopefully Yates can limit the losses but he is probably losing 30 seconds in each one which makes the mountain stages more entertaining.

Simon Yates has improved his TT's quite a bit but not to the level Thomas is at. Nibali always rises for the Giro and is flying under the radar a bit. I think he is likely to attack Ineos in the mountains which also helps Yates. I think the biggest question mark is the Ineos team, heavily TT orientated with no TTT, it's weird. I think they must be counting on Rohan Dennis as last man in the climbs but he is hardly proven in that role. Michelton look pretty good on paper, plenty of proven role players. With the TT's being shortish hopefully Yates can limit the losses but he is probably losing 30 seconds in each one which makes the mountain stages more entertaining.
Yeah, GT is the third best ITT in the field for this. They also happen to have the two that are better with Ganna and Dennis.

INEOS team selection begining with Thomas not selected for the Tour has been weird.
Carapaz was slated for the Giro.

INEOS team selection begining with Thomas not selected for the Tour has been weird.
Carapaz was slated for the Giro.
Thomas didn't want to be second fiddle to Bernal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kruijswijk 1'21"behind GT. So of the 5 main contenders:

Thomas is 0'23" behind Ganna
Yates is 0'49" behind Ganna
Nibali is 1'29" behind Ganna
Kruijswijk is 1'44" behind Ganna
Fuglsang is 1'47"behind Ganna

Yates getting nearly a minute on the "contenders" not named Geraint Thomas is a great ride.

So tomorrow:

Ganna will wear the Maglia Rosa
João Alméida will wear the Maglia Ciclamino (points)
Rick Zabel will wear the Maglia Azzuro (KOTM)
Mikkel Bjerg will wear the Maglia Biance (Youth)

GCN race pass is probably the best way, you can cancel it after one month. $12.99 but that's probably US$. Has everything, Binck Bank tour last stage was pretty good last night.
I already have a sportsbet account, how do I use that to get in?

Back