Moved Thread Turmeric thyme

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe we haven't signed up an official turmeric supplier yet. We're going to fall behind.

And who the hell is our official nutmeg supplier? Why hasn’t it been announced yet? And don’t get me started on saffron. If you don’t have a saffron supplier you are just bush league. This is embarrassing.

crap.. just when I was going to write a whole post on the stupidness on turmeric supplements and Special K being the official AFLW breakfast partner...

soo. how goes the training?
I reckon turmeric is a fair conversation in any sporting thread. I grow it on my farm, not commercially just a little plot each year. My farm is a place people and families come to learn about farming and becoming self sufficient. I was researching different herbs, spices, vegetables and fruit and turmeric was one that come up which actually had substantial research on it. The anti inflammatory properties are well documented and scientifically tested, many sports massage oils have it in them and not only sports people but anyone with stiff joints can take tablets. The other bizarre thing was a longitudinal study in Singapore to 2 communities, one put turmeric in their curries and the other didn't. Those with turmeric apparently had higher cognitive functioning in old age - go figure. Many other herbs, spices, vegetables have all sorts of crap made up about them and what they can do but having done science at Uni for a while the turmeric stuff seems valid. And yes the stuff stains like a bitch and is hard to get off even my old farmer's hands.

I reckon turmeric is a fair conversation in any sporting thread. I grow it on my farm, not commercially just a little plot each year. My farm is a place people and families come to learn about farming and becoming self sufficient. I was researching different herbs, spices, vegetables and fruit and turmeric was one that come up which actually had substantial research on it. The anti inflammatory properties are well documented and scientifically tested, many sports massage oils have it in them and not only sports people but anyone with stiff joints can take tablets. The other bizarre thing was a longitudinal study in Singapore to 2 communities, one put turmeric in their curries and the other didn't. Those with turmeric apparently had higher cognitive functioning in old age - go figure. Many other herbs, spices, vegetables have all sorts of crap made up about them and what they can do but having done science at Uni for a while the turmeric stuff seems valid. And yes the stuff stains like a b*tch and is hard to get off even my old farmer's hands.

Colleague of mine was basically crippled by early onset arthritis. Went on a special anti-inflammatory diet with liberal amounts of Turmeric and now she is gearing up for a Park Run. Pretty amazing.

Look up the research on Curcumin which is the extract of Turmeric. It is good for bones, joints and muscles and also linked to better brain function such that some people take it to ward of Dementia. If you decided to try it try the 600mg options with pepper which helps absorption or something like that.

I reckon turmeric is a fair conversation in any sporting thread. I grow it on my farm, not commercially just a little plot each year. My farm is a place people and families come to learn about farming and becoming self sufficient. I was researching different herbs, spices, vegetables and fruit and turmeric was one that come up which actually had substantial research on it. The anti inflammatory properties are well documented and scientifically tested, many sports massage oils have it in them and not only sports people but anyone with stiff joints can take tablets. The other bizarre thing was a longitudinal study in Singapore to 2 communities, one put turmeric in their curries and the other didn't. Those with turmeric apparently had higher cognitive functioning in old age - go figure. Many other herbs, spices, vegetables have all sorts of crap made up about them and what they can do but having done science at Uni for a while the turmeric stuff seems valid. And yes the stuff stains like a b*tch and is hard to get off even my old farmer's hands.

Mum (90 this year) has for as long as I can remember used tumeric in her evening meals......She only uses a walker when going outside and is as sharp and sprightly as most of us.

Mum always looked to natural healthy ways of eating etc.......another one is beetroot, very good for high blood pressure. Any fruit or vegie of dark greens/purples are excellent sources of all things vital to our health and well being.

All good advices (Anyone get that random reference?).

So glad that the secret to better joint pain is Turmeric & not Coriander. Ghastly s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm completely with you, got it from my mum who has turmeric chopped up in her salad every day (and stained yellow fingers too!). I get how from some people those supplements are the most viable option.. but golly they should rather be sponsored by a nutritionist or someone who just says put turmeric in your meals you big dummies.

I remember once after going shopping stopping in the chemist and seeing turmeric capsules... looking in my bag to see a lovely fresh rhizome and knowing which one I want :p

I have been having Turmeric in my daily smoothie for a while now, a great anti inflammatory.

A dash of turmeric in scrambled eggs or an omelete gives it a nice yellow colour too.

I've actually started growing turmeric. Dead easy - whack a bit of the rhizome into the ground and wait.

I get some light from the full moon on my naked feet each month so I don't need turmeric.

I have just install a new kitchen with porcelain bench tops (remember I am a dentist) which are completely unstainable by turmeric.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back