Review 2022 Player Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Lore asked me to do this and since I'm generally bored (looking at the 11:30 PM time I started this thread... Yeah I'm dumb). Please remember that all of these are relative to expectations of their year. So here goes nothing:

1. Andrew McGrath. 18 games, averages 21.4 disposals, 2.8 rebound 50's, 3.2 score involvements. Overall grade: C. Thought his start to the year was a little below average but he finished well enough and I think he'll be better next year when playing in defence.

2. Sam Draper. 22 games, 12 goals, averages 23.8 hit outs, 3.8 clearances. Overall grade: B-. Again, started poorly but improved a heap in the second half of the year and playing every game is huge for him.

3. Darcy Parish. 16 games, averages 31.3 disposals, 6.1 clearances, 13.1 contested possessions. Overall grade: B. Yes, I'm one of his biggest critics but he still had a good year. I think we should trade him yes, but mostly due to his value.

4. Kyle Langford. 9 (read: 8) games, 10 goals, 4 goal assists, average 13.8 disposals. Overall grade: C. The Langford forward crew finally go what they wanted when he returned from injury but he went missing quite often. Hopefully he moves back to his best position on a wing next year.

5. Devon Smith. 8 games, 3 goals, 8 goal assists, 10 tackles inside 50. Overall grade: E. Unfortunately for Dev his knee is just too cooked and his retirement was expected. Good luck in the future Dev.

6. Jye Caldwell. 20 games, averages 18.8 disposals, 3 clearances, 4.3 tackles. Overall grade: B+. Best year of football for Caldwell, finally stringing some games together. Found his role as a run with player, blanketed players like Lachie Neale and Touk Miller late in the year.

7. Zach Merrett. 19 games, 16 goal assists, averages 30.1 disposals, 4.6 clearances. Overall grade: B+. He was good without being great in some games but others were incredibly damaging. Not sure he should be captain, though.

8. Ben Hobbs. 17 games, 8 goals, 11 tackles inside 50, average 14.4 disposals. Overall grade: B-. He was good this year for his for his first year at the level. Looking forward to him getting more midfield minutes next year.

9. Dylan Shiel. 19 games, average 22.9 disposals, 6.1 clearances, 9.8 contested possessions. Overall grade: B. He's a pro, and handled his dropping like it. Came back, responded defensively and offensively, clearly works best without Parish.

10. Aaron Francis. 4 games, 4 goals, 2 goal assists, 7 marks inside 50. Overall grade: E. He struggled at AFL level, we all know this and I'm pretty sure everyone knows he'll be in SA next season whether it's AFL or SANFL.

11. Will Snelling. 8 games, 0 goals, 0 goal assists, 11 tackles inside 50. Overall grade: D. Look, we all know that he was well below his 2020/21 form partially due to injury but it was very disappointing to see him play as poorly as he did.

12. Tom Cutler. 9 games, averaged 17.8 disposals, 2.6 inside 50's, 3.8 rebound 50's. Overall grade: C-. It might have been harsh to delist Cuts but he's been sort of okay this year and overall for the club. Good luck next year.

13. Nik Cox. 5 games, averaged 12.6 disposals, 4 marks, 1.6 inside 50's. Overall grade: D. He struggled to impact on the wing and it was good to hear that key position was the plan for next year.

14. Jordan Ridley. 20 games, averaged 19.1 disposals, 2.1 intercept marks, 5.1 rebound 50's. Overall grade: B-. How to rate Rids' season? He was assigned more defensive roles this year and he was still solid intercept and kicking wise but not his brilliant best.

15. Jayden Laverde. 22 games, averaged 36.1% defensive 1-on-1 loss, 1.9 intercept marks, 2.8 rebound 50's. Overall grade: B+. He's been undersized as a key defender and he sort of needs to become more of a medium defender but he needs to improve his intercept work

16. Archie Perkins. 18 games, 16 goals, 11 goal assists averaged 2.6 inside 50's. Overall grade: C+. Look, his average return from injury plays a part even though he had a strong start to the year. Hoping he gets more midfield minutes next year.

17. James Stewart. 10 games combined (4 in defence, 6 forward), 18 goals. Overall grade: C-. He's hard to rank. Showed that he is pretty solid forward but his injuries have been a huge issue. Hope he re-signs though.

18. Michael Hurley. 6 games combined, 3 goals. Overall grade: E. Look, it's a tough one to do when he played 6 games after basically 18 months out. I love him and it'll be sad to see him go.

19. Nick Hind. 21 games, average 20.4 disposals, 4.1 rebound 50's, 4.2 score involvements. Overall grade: C. Nowhere near the same as his influence as last year and I know the vision wasn't good but I think he'll be back better than ever next year.

20. Peter Wright. 22 games, 53 goals, 13 goal assists, averages 1.9 contested marks, 2.7 marks inside 50. Overall grade: A+. My god, what a year he had. Yes there were a couple of downs but it was a career best year and I look forward to him building on it next year.

21. Dyson Heppell. 22 games, averages 21.9 disposals, 6.6 marks, 2.1 inside 50's, 2.8 rebound 50's. Overall grade: D+. Look, Heppell is cooked. He had some really good games but also had some really poor ones. Hope he goes to GC.

22. Sam Durham. 20 games, averages 15.1 disposals, 4.5 marks, 1.4 inside 50's, 1.3 rebound 50's. Overall grade: C+. He's building on a wing nicely, to get to the top echelon of them he needs to increase production connection wise.

23. Harrison Jones. 10 games, 13 goals, 1 goal assist, averages 1.5 marks inside 50. Overall grade: C. Managed to contribute at least one goal in all bar 2 games when he returned from injury. Obviously struggled, but I hope he gets a big pre-season in so he can build.

24. Nick Bryan. 14 VFL games, averaged 32.8 hitouts, 14.1 disposals, 3.9 marks. Overall grade: C+. He had 5 okay AFL games but his VFL form was really strong and I'm hoping we can see more of him in the AFL next year.

25. Jake Stringer. 15 games, 25 goals, 6 goal assists, average 1.3 marks I50. Overall grade: C. He struggled for impact when he played this year but at his best he's a genuine match winner and we need him to refind that next year.

26. Kaine Baldwin. 11 VFL games, 24 goals, average 4 marks and 2.5 tackles. Overall grade: B-. Obviously had 4 early games in the AFL where he struggled but he went down and started to dominate the VFL, having more goals than anyone else.

27. Mason Redman. 20 games, average 21.2 disposals, 4.3 rebound 50's, 4.4 score involvements. Overall grade: A. Favourite for the best and fairest, he really built on his game this year and I'm really looking forward to him building again next year.

28. Alastair Lord. 18 VFL games, average 10.5 disposals, 1.7 marks, 1.1 tackles. Overall grade: D. Look, he struggled early in the year but after the bye he started taking the game on more and he looked a lot better. Needs to build on it next year.

29. Jake Kelly. 21 games, average contested defensive loss 35.7%, 1.3 intercept marks, 2.7 rebound 50's. Overall grade: B-. When he finally got moved onto small forwards he blanketed them very well, but struggled at times on mediums and talls.

30. Brandon Zerk-Thatcher. 12 games, average contested 1-on-1 loss 28.6%, 2.1 intercept marks, 3 rebound 50's. Overall grade: B-. Since returning he's been a revelation. Made that full back spot his own and I hope he continues to build next year.

31. Zach Reid. 7 games, average contested 1-on-1 loss 29.2%, 0.9 intercept marks, 1.3 rebound 50's. Overall grade: C+. Showed some signs, went back to the VFL and even played forward for a game. Hope he gets a chance at CHB next year.

32. Josh Eyre. 18 VFL games, average 9.1 disposals, 2.7 marks, 1.2 tackles. Overall grade: D. He's struggled forward and now looks a lot more comfortable in defence, I think he can play there long term.

33. Brayden Ham. 11 games, 0 goals, 3 goal assists, 1 tackle inside 50. Overall grade: E-. Wow, that was, well, a year. He is really a VFL player and I'm expecting him to get cut after trade period.

34. Andrew Phillips. 10 games, 4 goals, averages 14.2 hit outs, 2 marks. Overall grade: C+. We played our best football with him in the side which is weird when you look at those stats. Hopefully gets pushed behind Bryan for 2023 though.

35. Matthew Guelfi. 20 games, 17 goals, 12 goal assists, 25 tackles inside 50. Overall grade: B+. His best year by a fair stretch, finally found his role as a pressure small forward who can hit the scoreboard at times.

36. Garrett McDonagh. 17 VFL games, average 15.4 disposals, 2.8 marks, 1.9 tackles. Overall grade: E. Look, we tried it, it failed, and we just need to move on from it.

37. Nic Martin. 21 games, 19 goals, average 19.9 disposals, 5.9 marks, 2.6 inside 50's, 1.9 rebound 50's. Overall grade: A-. Martin fell 2 touches and 2 goals short of being the 4th ever rising star eligible player to average 20 touches and a goal a game across the year, has been a revelation on the wing.

38. Cody Brand. 17 VFL games, average 11.6 disposals, 3.6 marks, 1.7 tackles. Overall grade: C+. Had a marked improvement in the middle of the year with his intercept work and once BZT returned to the seniors was getting the #1 forward and doing a pretty good job for the most part.

39. Patrick Voss. 11 VFL games, 19 goals, average 10.5 disposals, 3.3 marks, 3.8 marks. Overall grade: C+. When he returned from injury he built himself up nicely, can see him eventually becoming a Cam Zurhaar type.

40. Tex Wanganeen. 7 combined games, 4 goals. Overall grade: D+. Look, he had his foot issues so it's hard to give him a good grade but there's definitely something there and I hope we can see more next year.

41. Cian McBride. 17 VFL games, average 8.5 disposals, 3.8 marks, 7 hit outs. Overall grade: C. Improved in defence and spent most of the year being the second ruck to Bryan, although I would have liked to see him tried forward again.

42. Massimo D'Ambrosio. 7 games, 4 goals, average 12 disposals, 2.1 rebound 50's, 2.1 score involvements. Overall grade: B. Mass caught attention off half back immediately but his trial forward was also very interesting, but he does need to tighten up defensively.

43. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti. 5 VFL games, 7 goals. Overall grade: E. Was really sad when he retired. Farewell, sweet prince.

45. Alec Waterman. 17 combined games, 24 goals. Overall grade: C-. This is a hard one. He's a key forward in a small forward's body and he's excellent at kicking goals but his issues just mean he isn't there as an AFL player. Expect we haven't cut him due to hopefully getting FA compensation from it.

47. Jye Menzie. 8 VFL games, 13 goals, average 12.8 disposals, 2.7 tackles. Overall grade: C+. Showed more than enough to keep on the list for me and I hope he gets at least another year next year.

49. Tom Hird. 17 VFL games, 12 goals, average 14.8 touches, 3.4 tackles, 2.8 marks. Overall grade: D. Thought he showed a bit but it really wasn't enough. I doubt he gets looked at elsewhere but thank you Tom.

Like this? Hate it? I don't really care either way.

Very kind to a number of players in my humble opinion
Yeah, I always tend to do that. Anyone in particular you want to discuss?

Good read and I just about agree with it all.

For the sake of argument/discussion, I was a little disappointed in Caldwell's season. And I actually thought Hind had a pretty solid season (though there are plenty more supporters with your point of view).

Glad someone else saw a bit in Baldwin too - I thought he got dropped just when he was starting to show something. Looking forward to hopefully seeing a Wright-Jones-Baldwin-Stringer forward line next year, with a Davey or two at their feet.

And maybe a B for Durham, just cos I love his game. I do agree with your summary of him though.

Great effort, not too much I disagree with. Maybe it’s some recency bias as he started the season reasonably well, but I reckon Kelly’s assessment is pretty generous.

I would have given Zerk an A too

Yeah, I always tend to do that. Anyone in particular you want to discuss?
I'd prob mark the following differently - keeping in mind pretty much all were affected by injury bar 3

DP3. C- : a long way off last year considering what we know regarding his potential output/impact on games
Kyle Langford. D : might seem harsh but when he got back he was just a pass mark.
Will Snelling. D- : A season to forget
Tom Cutler. F : fair to say this was a season that ended his career - cannot be viewed as a pass
Nic Cox. D- : Nil development thanks season ending injury. His form in the opening 5 rounds was putrid.
James Stewart. D- : See Will Snelling
Nick Hind. D+ : What happened to the Nick Hind we had last year? Even found himself in the 2nds at one point.
Harrison Jones. D- : See James Stewart
Brayden Ham. F : I don't think I need to explain this one at all

All the rest I agree with you. :thumbsu: :)

Good read and I just about agree with it all.

For the sake of argument/discussion, I was a little disappointed in Caldwell's season. And I actually thought Hind had a pretty solid season (though there are plenty more supporters with your point of view).

Glad someone else saw a bit in Baldwin too - I thought he got dropped just when he was starting to show something. Looking forward to hopefully seeing a Wright-Jones-Baldwin-Stringer forward line next year, with a Davey or two at their feet.

And maybe a B for Durham, just cos I love his game. I do agree with your summary of him though.
Thing about Caldwell is that he's 22 and this is his first full year since he was 16 (I think eDPS andleanback?) so to get that all together, find a good role for him to develop into is huge for me.

Hind was solid, hence a C, but I feel like most are overly harsh on him.

And Durham isn't a B mostly due to not pushing into the high teens possessions, which is his next metric.
Great effort, not too much I disagree with. Maybe it’s some recency bias as he started the season reasonably well, but I reckon Kelly’s assessment is pretty generous.

I would have given Zerk an A too
If it were purely on the second half of the year Zerk would be a B+ or A- but it's the year in full
I'd prob mark the following differently - keeping in mind pretty much all were affected by injury bar 3

DP3. C- : a long way off last year considering what we know regarding his potential output/impact on games
Kyle Langford. D : might seem harsh but when he got back he was just a pass mark.
Will Snelling. D- : A season to forget
Tom Cutler. F : fair to say this was a season that ended his career - cannot be viewed as a pass
Nic Cox. D- : Nil development thanks season ending injury. His form in the opening 5 rounds was putrid.
James Stewart. D- : See Will Snelling
Nick Hind. D+ : What happened to the Nick Hind we had last year? Even found himself in the 2nds at one point.
Harrison Jones. D- : See James Stewart
Brayden Ham. F : I don't think I need to explain this one at all

All the rest I agree with you. :thumbsu: :)
I didn't have an F in my metric, in fairness.I can appreciate those ones in and of themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back