2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rendell now going with bowes owed 850 x 2. How the hell it has got to that is mind boggling. It's hard to believe we are over the cap though when we said we'd have a discussion with dusty if he chose to leave, we've had initial discussions with TT, rumoured that we offered Tex 2 years before he re-signed, had 650 on the table for rankine.

Rendell now going with bowes owed 850 x 2. How the hell it has got to that is mind boggling. It's hard to believe we are over the cap though when we said we'd have a discussion with dusty if he chose to leave, we've had initial discussions with TT, rumoured that we offered Tex 2 years before he re-signed, had 650 on the table for rankine.
Bowes's contract was heavily back-ended and then when covid hit his contract was even more back-ended. He's in the same situation as a few players in the comp at the moment.

With the cap drama, I think it's more to do with matching any bid that comes our way in the future, that was clear from Cameron's statement yesterday. They have the talent they want it's just keeping it together.

Vic clubs are going to offer Noah massive money next year and Ben King the year after, we need to have enough space to keep them because if we lose them we're back to square one.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If true with Bowes... But it’s also been stated it’s back-ended and Covid deferred, for 500kish on average, which is overs but much more reasonable.

I felt that SOS was actually being a fair commentator in regards to the Suns in this debate (as a previous list manager who understands how contracts work and how this can happen), while the other two seem to have done no research whatsoever on Bowes and continually ignored what was said. SOS even mentioned needing to pay 95% of the cap, while Barret just focused on us being a bad team on the ladder.

Barret also focussed on the fact Bowes didn’t play this year—not his half season injury, nor his form, just that we didn’t play him and now he is worth potentially 850k. He asks how a VFL player could be paid so much, as if Bowes hadn’t been best 22 previous or been playing for much, much less than his value? But other commentators discusses how 500k a year is kind of reasonable for Bowes’ form at the time of his contract, which is his alleged average across the 5 years.

Who can say what is the truth. Clearly it’s ugly. Now if I was Bowes I’d be pissed, as he has played for very little the last few years. Just like Treloar at Collingwood before they shafted him. The club has done him dirty. But his output (for whatever reason) is also under what we would want, and his contract his allegedly very huge.

And so here we are…

If true with Bowes... But it’s also been stated it’s back-ended and Covid deferred, for 500kish on average, which is overs but much more reasonable.

I felt that SOS was actually being a fair commentator in regards to the Suns in this debate (as a previous list manager who understands how contracts work and how this can happen), while the other two seem to have done no research whatsoever on Bowes and continually ignored what was said. SOS even mentioned needing to pay 95% of the cap, while Barret just focused on us being a bad team on the ladder.

Barret also focussed on the fact Bowes didn’t play this year—not his half season injury, nor his form, just that we didn’t play him and now he is worth potentially 850k. He asks how a VFL player could be paid so much, as if Bowes hadn’t been best 22 previous or been playing for much, much less than his value? But other commentators discusses how 500k a year is kind of reasonable for Bowes’ form at the time of his contract, which is his alleged average across the 5 years.

Who can say what is the truth. Clearly it’s ugly. Now if I was Bowes I’d be pissed, as he has played for very little the last few years. Just like Treloar at Collingwood before they shafted him. The club has done him dirty. But his output (for whatever reason) is also under what we would want, and his contract his allegedly very huge.

And so here we are…

I'm filthy at the club at what has happened with Bowes but listening to Barrett, he is straight up ******** who doesn't even attempt to understand what's going on.

And so here we are…
I thought that Bowes would get opportunity instead of Fiorini at the beginning of the season but shoulder surgery ruined for him. When he got opportunity later in the season and in VFL he was mostly disappointing for me. Can't keep them all. Anderson, Rowell, Davies, Hollands, Flanders is the club choice. I can live with that.

Bowes will get opportunity with another team. It will be good for him I suspect. And he will get paid. Yeah, I feel for him but if he would be killing it on the field, he would still be probably in Suns plans.

Barrett is a waste of time to listen to. I bet he had Suns winning wooden spoon in his predictions.

You wonder if we could have extracted more value by 'splitting' pick 7 for 2 reasonable assets.

ie.
Pick 7 to Sydney for 14 and and 2023 2nd rounder.
Pick 7 to Geelong for 18 and a 2023 2nd rounder
Pick 7 to West Coast for 20 and a 2023 2nd rounder

Then trading one of those later picks in the teens with Bowes.

I thought that Bowes would get opportunity instead of Fiorini at the beginning of the season but shoulder surgery ruined for him. When he got opportunity later in the season and in VFL he was mostly disappointing for me. Can't keep them all. Anderson, Rowell, Davies, Hollands, Flanders is the club choice. I can live with that.

Bowes will get opportunity with another team. It will be good for him I suspect. And he will get paid. Yeah, I feel for him but if he would be killing it on the field, he would still be probably in Suns plans.

Barrett is a waste of time to listen to. I bet he had Suns winning wooden spoon in his predictions.
Barrett's ladder prediction
1. Brisbane
2. Geelong
3. Melbourne
4. Port Adelaide
5. Richmond
6. Sydney
7. Carlton
8. Western Bulldogs

9. GWS
10. Fremantle
11. Essendon
12. Collingwood
13. Hawthorn
14. St Kilda
15. West Coast
16. Gold Coast
17. Adelaide
18. North Melbourne

You wonder if we could have extracted more value by 'splitting' pick 7 for 2 reasonable assets.

ie.

I’m hopeful that we will get a pick back. But the realist in me says that if someone is taking on a million+ in cap, then it won’t be much.

But ideally, say Geelong take him. Bowes + 7 for pick 18.

Or with Brisbane: Bowes and Pick 7 for their first round back. They then use pick 7 for Dunkley.

SOS even mentioned needing to pay 95% of the cap, while Barret just focused on us being a bad team on the ladder.
I absolutely hate this rule, it absolutely does not benefit any lower end club. Why does Gold Coast and Geelong have to pay the same amount of cap? All this does is force lower end teams to overpay draftees.

ie.

You could add Lions too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m hopeful that we will get a pick back. But the realist in me says that if someone is taking on a million+ in cap, then it won’t be much.

But ideally, say Geelong take him. Bowes + 7 for pick 18.

Or with Brisbane: Bowes and Pick 7 for their first round back. They then use pick 7 for Dunkley.
I think splitting the pick before the Bowes trade gives us a better chance of getting a keeping a reasonable asset.

Keeping it as pick 7 gives us a better chance of definitely completing the trade.

Guess it depends what was more important to us - probably just getting it done.

Barrett is just a mouth-piece for the various player agents (and some players/coaches) he's close too.

It's a mutually beneficial thing, he writes the stories they want, they give him enough inside intel to stay relevant - Breaking the Clarko to North story being the most recent one.

He knows * all about footy really, and just repeats other people's opinions on the game. He does seem to like Dew, which suggests he's one of Barrett's contacts.

I think splitting the pick before the Bowes trade gives us a better chance of getting a keeping a reasonable asset.

Keeping it as pick 7 gives us a better chance of definitely completing the trade.

IMO, definitely off loading money is a priority. 2x 850 or 850 + 500 makes a difference too. I suspect it will be future 2nd round back.

2023 picks are more useful for the Suns. And other clubs are more likely to throw them in with a Bowes trade. Geelong's first next year should be the goal if he goes there.

ie.

You could get 7 for 14,17 from Swans.
Would 7,Bowes for 36,geelong2023r1 appeal?

ie.

I don’t think time would of been on our side for that.

Pick 7 & $850k off the books with plenty of buyers

Compared to Bowes by himself and we pay half

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back