2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just my opinion, but I think you guys are now recognising the trap that GWS found themselves in where they had a lot of talent but the whole seemed to be less than the sum of the parts. The cost of keeping that talent together gets too high and offloading it becomes a cycle of continual renewal with high-ish draft picks but not really getting many to the peak mature phase of their careers before they become too expensive or too enticing for other clubs with fat wallets.

I feel Gold Coast have recognised this and are shaping the list the right way now, even if it means losing the likes of Rankine and trading in slightly less talented mature players based on need, but ultimately getting guys like King, Ainsworth, Anderson and Rowell to the peak stage of their careers when they become the experienced core of the team with 150 or more games under their belt. I think that is what mostly wins flags - a hardened core of talent that has developed together over multiple seasons.
It does look like and I agree. It's just a lot of fans here struggle to recognize it or have a different view on it :p

Cheaper players to fight for best 22 roles are what we need. Our depth has been far too expensive, which is part of our cap problem.

We don’t need high end talent for every trade. Look at Markov, Constable, Casboult etc. bring in players to play a role and don’t break the bank. Keep our VFL team competitive, but they can also play best 22 if called up or if they break out.

That’s not to say we shouldn’t be targeting a big player. But balancing those with cheaper options is also needed—probably more so right now.

I can't see T Berry break into best 22. But if he's cheap why not. Surprise me.

He is already an upgrade on Macpherson as a pressure fwd and Holman’s body is being held together by elastoplast.

For me, Berry will get his chance in the best 22 next season.

He is already an upgrade on Macpherson as a pressure fwd and Holman’s body is being held together by elastoplast.

For me, Berry will get his chance in the best 22 next season.
He's also been playing a few games in a top 6 side so should definitely get some games with us.
Like to see him terrorise some teams along with Long and Holman

Berry didn't compete in the afl draft combine due to injury, so it's not a 100% that his results would have been the same. But. If he did, he would have won the agility test and came 5th in the 20m sprint, either way, a few milliseconds here or there, he is elite. Always had the hard edge.

I'm concerned he will be a bit of a Troy Selwood, but we will wait and see.

Draft Central had this to say "He averaged just 42.6 per cent by foot in the TAC Cup, and that was with a 40.6 per cent contested rate. His kicking can be improved in the sense that sometimes he throws it on the boot or tries to opt for distance over a shorter option. It is this decision making which is another improvement Berry can make to his game. Sometimes it is a case of just lowering the eyes or picking out a player laterally in space rather than a long, deep bomb to a well-positioned defender."

(Mods delete if I broke the rule here, I know there is one but I don't know what it is)

briztoon what do you make of Tom's improvement as a Lion?

I can recall during the year (especially against Essendon)

Maybe due to Dew’s team selections but we needed more speed around the ground.

Ben Long & Tom Berry may not be the A graders we all want but they are two areas were we need speed and pressure.

If Dew wants to persist with this pressure contested game well let’s get some role players in who can do that as we have the potential/current A graders already here.

Every team needs a good spine and that’s where you spend your money

Collins, Ballard, Witts, Rowell, Anderson, Miller, Atkins, Hollands, King, Lukosius.

I’m sure we’re not done yet either, 2 early trade ins, few more to come

I can recall during the year (especially against Essendon)

Maybe due to Dew’s team selections but we needed more speed around the ground.

Ben Long & Tom Berry may not be the A graders we all want but they are two areas were we need speed and pressure.

If Dew wants to persist with this pressure contested game well let’s get some role players in who can do that as we have the potential/current A graders already here.

Every team needs a good spine and that’s where you spend your money

Collins, Ballard, Witts, Rowell, Anderson, Miller, Atkins, Hollands, King, Lukosius.

I’m sure we’re not done yet either, 2 early trade ins, few more to come
It's been a shock to get rid of the player that we are but we can't afford to keep getting in top ten draft picks and think we can continue to pay them all.
I agree that the money needs to be spent on the spine and then fill the rest with a couple of high picks and then role players.
At least it's not boring

IF we did lose Sharp,

I wonder if we could get Ben Keays back in QLD, I didn’t track his juniors but i feel a few posters here May have.

One of the hardest 2 way runners in the comp, just doesn’t have that elite kick, Crows are still trying to sort their Laird, Keays, Crouch, Hately slow one paced midfield.

I know Hunter is available but he’s on 600k so prefer not.

Keays on the wing + potential tagger.

Berry didn't compete in the afl draft combine due to injury, so it's not a 100% that his results would have been the same. But. If he did, he would have won the agility test and came 5th in the 20m sprint, either way, a few milliseconds here or there, he is elite. Always had the hard edge.

I'm concerned he will be a bit of a Troy Selwood, but we will wait and see.

Draft Central had this to say "He averaged just 42.6 per cent by foot in the TAC Cup, and that was with a 40.6 per cent contested rate. His kicking can be improved in the sense that sometimes he throws it on the boot or tries to opt for distance over a shorter option. It is this decision making which is another improvement Berry can make to his game. Sometimes it is a case of just lowering the eyes or picking out a player laterally in space rather than a long, deep bomb to a well-positioned defender."

(Mods delete if I broke the rule here, I know there is one but I don't know what it is)

briztoon what do you make of Tom's improvement as a Lion?
Ben Keays 2.0. But harder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder why we didn’t look at Jayden hunt?

TBerry isn’t a pressure small forward.

He’s a hard at it inside mid, who has ordinary disposal.

So, like Keays, when he’s called up to the senior team, he’s asked to play as a pressure small forward.

He has elite speed and good agility, hits and tackles hard.

He did his shoulder late in the VFL season, so you’ll have to see how it holds up.

Doing his shoulder has pretty much done for Jarrod Berry as an inside mid, which is why he mostly plays wing for us.

Hopefully Tom fairs better than his brother.

So, like Keays, when he’s called up to the senior team, he’s asked to play as a pressure small forward.

He did his shoulder late in the VFL season, so you’ll have to see how it holds up.

Doing his shoulder has pretty much done for Jarrod Berry as an inside mid, which is why he mostly plays wing for us.

Didn't Jarrod have a great game as an inside mid v Dees a few weeks ago?

Sounds very similar to a young Nick Holman.

Fast, aggressive, good tackler. Sounds like pressure forward traits to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back