2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Bowes,and now Fiorini (as I revealed a few weeks back) done and dusted + Corbett and Markov too seemingly.- the cap space is there for a big play for a Very good player.
Take Sharp + Rankine off the salary cap too,and we are in a very good place.

I tell you what - if Hawthorn would even only pay $250,000 a year towards Tom Mitchell, he'd be a great pick-up.

I hope we are still going after TT - and have asked about Hunter Clark.

We have picks and now salary cap space to land a big fish - and pay up for Rowell, Anderson and King next year.

I hope we hear something really good soon about a very good player.

I hope.

This could be the trade period that finally sets us up for a real good crack at a Flag.

With Bowes,and now Fiorini (as I revealed a few weeks back) done and dusted + Corbett and Markov too seemingly.- the cap space is there for a big play for a Very good player.
Take Sharp + Rankine off the salary cap too,and we are in a very good place.

I tell you what - if Hawthorn would even only pay $250,000 a year towards Tom Mitchell, he'd be a great pick-up.

I hope we are still going after TT - and have asked about Hunter Clark.

We have picks and now salary cap space to land a big fish - and pay up for Rowell, Anderson and King next year.

I hope we hear something really good soon about a very good player.

I hope.

This could be the trade period that finally sets us up for a real good crack at a Flag.
As much as I'd like to be surprised with a big name nominating us next week, Craig Cameron stated fairly categorically that we will be targeting that big name player/s from next year onwards. From a list strategy point of view, it makes far more sense to target a big name player next year when draft picks will mean a lot less to us due to our academy talent likely being bid on early in the draft. This year it still makes sense to bring in another top 5 pick which explains why we're likely to ship pick 7 to encourage a salary dump while acquiring pick 5 from the Rankine trade. Timing is everything when it comes to these things and I think our recruiters also know there's a good chance we'll play finals next year which obviously makes the recruiting process easier.

Last edited:

BOWES - it looks like 2nd round pick.
Clubs clamouring to secure Gold Coast midfielder Jack Bowes and the Suns’ cherished No.7 pick could spread his $1.6 million salary obligation over four years in a major boost for teams with tight salary caps.
But the Herald Sun understands the AFL has made clear the Suns would need to secure a draft pick in return for the Bowes salary dump. That is likely be a future second-round pick.
While the AFL has given clubs greater flexibility over salary dumps, it would only give its stamp of approval to the complex deal if the Suns receive a player or pick in the exchange.
A future second-round pick is the most likely price, but a club’s ability to spread Bowes’ salary across more than two seasons would make the deal even more attractive.
But the Herald Sun understands the AFL has made clear the Suns would need to secure a draft pick in return for the Bowes salary dump. That is likely be a future second-round pick.
While the AFL has given clubs greater flexibility over salary dumps, it would only give its stamp of approval to the complex deal if the Suns receive a player or pick in the exchange.
A future second-round pick is the most likely price, but a club’s ability to spread Bowes’ salary across more than two seasons would make the deal even more attractive.

Last edited:
FIORINI
Collingwood is likely to secure Gold Coast onballer Brayden Fiorini, pick 20 in the 2015 draft, for a pick shuffle and is expected to spread out his $600,000 salary for 2023 over up to three years.
RANKINE
Meanwhile, Adelaide and Gold Coast are determined to have respectful negotiations on Suns forward Izak Rankine that will involve their No.5 pick and a future third-rounder.

While there will be some haggling, if the Crows clinch an early trade it would allow them to move on to other priorities.

The Suns have been steadfast that they are prepared to accept a second selection much later in the draft, but their absolute priority is securing the No.5 overall selection because they are trading the pick 7 as part of the Bowes cap dump

I like (not) the wording about spreading out the salary over 3-4 years.

Virtually it is Geelong paying 850-850-350?-350? (Or whatever gets agreed upon). Which might end up at 600 for 4 years for instance.

There is no way he would be able to just accept extra years at no extra payment.

I like (not) the wording about spreading out the salary over 3-4 years.

Virtually it is Geelong paying 850-850-350?-350? (Or whatever gets agreed upon). Which might end up at 600 for 4 years for instance.

There is no way he would be able to just accept extra years at no extra payment.
Yeah agree, otherwise there is no need to attach pick 7. Would basically be the same as trading him not under contract at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would hope if he requests trade after 1 year you would hope there is some possibility that it could happen otherwise he has just ratcheted up the pressure on himself and didn't exactly cope well with it this year.

Really feel for North. They've been so unlucky.

Weird saying that too as I usually hate them... pity is a hell of a drug.
They hate our club in general, ever since the North to GC campaign. Don’t waste any pity on them as they have none for us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back