2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is AFL the only league in the world where the go home factor is a significant problem?

It's beyond a joke. That being said if they paid the players according to their worth it would be easier to then just allow clubs to trade players without consent. There's no way the AFL execs should earn more and until this is fixed the issue won't go away.

That being said, Australian's have to be the weirdest people culturally about moving away from where they grew up. A lot of my Perth mates are the same. What are you so scared of?

Yet not a peep from the VFL media empire about this being a real problem as long as their precious boys don’t have to hop a scary plane for a 90minute flight out of Melbourne. JHF deserves boos for leaving Melbourne however apparently.

They are complicit in allowing this pathetic culture to become normalised and even celebrated.

To use these extra picks do you have to create free list space?
Not on draft night.

As long as you take as many picks as you have list spots to the draft, what you trade for on draft night is not impacted by this. Both Collingwood and Bulldogs made trades at the beginning of the draft in 2021 to bring extra picks and points, and we (the Lions) did the same last year, by trading with both Hawthorn and North for extra picks and points.

What's Flanders worth? 2nd rounder? And a third?

3rd rounder for Sharp?
Depends what you do with your first round pick?

Trade up for a top 5 pick (current first and future first to trade up), so you now need extra points in this draft.

Sharp is worth maybe a future 4th round pick.

Flanders a current or future second round pick (from a team like the Bulldogs).

Hollands a current or future second round pick (from Carlton).

Yet not a peep from the VFL media empire about this being a real problem as long as their precious boys don’t have to hop a scary plane for a 90minute flight out of Melbourne. JHF deserves boos for leaving Melbourne however apparently.

They are complicit in allowing this pathetic culture to become normalised and even celebrated.

Recent history in a number of leagues around the world says that player movement gets at least as much interest and attention as the game itself. Our trades thread is always a hive of activity in the trade period, so we don't escape that. I don't think this is a good thing but it is what it is.

The bug in our system is that most AFL players come out of Victoria and the 10 teams in Victoria swamp all the player movement opinion and news.

Pretty sure that the SA and WA media are full of player movement stuff, especially locals heading back home. But there are only two teams and only so many locals to poach back home.

So we can whinge and moan all we like, but the 'national' media companies are just giving the largely Victorian audience exactly what they (and we) want. Stories about player movement.

And a result of this is Victorian kids feeling like they can play the go-home factor card and get away with it. Pretty sure the Victorian audience does not care that much.

Looking forward to the next story about a player not from Vic 'coming home' to Melbourne.

If I was the Eagles I would be filthy. So unfair.

If I were the eagles they could really win out of this anyway with so many vic teams wanting Reid they could end up with a few top picks and reload their list quickly

That being said, Australian's have to be the weirdest people culturally about moving away from where they grew up. A lot of my Perth mates are the same. What are you so scared of?

My mates i grew up with barely leave their suburb let alone go interstate. They act like a 45 minute drive to work is a day trip

My mates i grew up with barely leave their suburb let alone go interstate. They act like a 45 minute drive to work is a day trip
Maybe that's just what comes with being based in a capital city as opposed to a regional city like the Gold Coast. Everyone on the GC would have done the 60-minute trip to Brisbane at some stage in their life and many would have also visited Byron Bay/Sunshine Coast so we all know there's potentially something worth travelling for if we get in the car for an hour or two and because we don't have a proper CBD like other capital cities, a lot of our amenities are spread throughout the city. For example you've got a new Costco that's about to open in the northern suburbs (Coomera) and the theme parks are also in the north (Coomera & Oxenford) but then the best beaches in our city are definitely more on the southern side (Burleigh, Kirra, Cooly) and you're looking at about a 45 minute drive between the two.

So perhaps the go-home factor isn't as strong for GC products as it is for Melbourne products for the reasons listed above? When we were first establishing ourselves in the 2008-2010 period, we went hard for Gold Coasters like Nick Riewoldt, Kurt Tippett and Dayne Beams but not a single one made the decision to come home. I still wonder how different our club would be now if we had secured a guy like Nick Riewoldt or Kurt Tippett from the start when we were crying out for a key forward to lead the team and kick goals. Anyway, all we can do now is focus on our academy and give those kids good reasons to stay on the Gold Coast, but we're still going to need to supplement our list with a decent amount of Victorians for the time being and that means we have to figure out a way to decrease the go-home factor. We seem to be doing a good job at the moment with King, Rowell and Anderson all seemingly very committed to us despite big offers from down south.

Depends what you do with your first round pick?

Trade up for a top 5 pick (current first and future first to trade up), so you now need extra points in this draft.

Sharp is worth maybe a future 4th round pick.

Flanders a current or future second round pick (from a team like the Bulldogs).

Hollands a current or future second round pick (from Carlton).
We aren't trading Hollands, especially for a second rounder.

We have a real need for players with good foot skills and outside run. Ellis seems cooked and sharp is seemingly on the way out. Ainsworth is a great runner but constantly coughs it up by foot and rosas is more of a player who creates a goal or two but doesn't contribute much else. Even atkins has added alot since he's been in just because he uses the ball and tries to create forward movement. Think Rogers will definitely help in this space but would love a couple more in this area to bolster our squad. Still think Gresham is the most likely and will hold on to the dream of redman till he re-signs. Not sure of any other options around, maybe bonner from Port a cheap option.

We should be asking the question of Jacob Weitering. He is absolutely lost playing under Voss. Needs a change.

We should be asking the question of Jacob Weitering. He is absolutely lost playing under Voss. Needs a change.
Weitering would be a fantastic pickup for us. About to turn 26 and enter his prime years and is clearly very capable of playing high level footy as a key defender. Plus, I get the feeling he's the type of guy that would really thrive outside of the Melbourne bubble.

Think he's getting paid pretty well and still has a few years to run on his contract though so it seems unlikely.

Weitering would be a fantastic pickup for us. About to turn 26 and enter his prime years and is clearly very capable of playing high level footy as a key defender. Plus, I get the feeling he's the type of guy that would really thrive outside of the Melbourne bubble.

Think he's getting paid pretty well and still has a few years to run on his contract though so it seems unlikely.
Oh I think there is about a 0.5% chance of him leaving, but something is seriously wrong because he has gone for an AA level defender to utter s**t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back