2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think recruiting for the need of creative players in the forward half would help King. So many times that last kick let's us down. Even Anderson who is a star, lets himself down with that last kick. Ainsworth another who does so much well just can't get that last kick to a forward or at goal right. Think this is where dusty (if the rumours are true) or tarryn thomas (probably don't go down that path anyway) would be so beneficial. They open up the game and make others look better players just because of their composure and finishing ability. Lukosuis about the only one currently that has it, Miller pretty good too, need more though.
A player like Rankine would be pretty handy…

But yeah, our small forwards aren’t great—either in front of goals or in the goal assist category.

Last year Ainsworth was elite for assists, plus his 25ish goals of his own. Just doesn’t seem to quite be there this year, unfortunately.

I could maybe get behind a Dusty if the a fair chunk of the salary is eaten up by Richmond and he’s happy for a short deal at a normal price after that. But yes, Club needs to really look down that path, as I don’t think Rosas or Ace are it…

I think recruiting for the need of creative players in the forward half would help King. So many times that last kick let's us down. Even Anderson who is a star, lets himself down with that last kick. Ainsworth another who does so much well just can't get that last kick to a forward or at goal right. Think this is where dusty (if the rumours are true) or tarryn thomas (probably don't go down that path anyway) would be so beneficial. They open up the game and make others look better players just because of their composure and finishing ability. Lukosuis about the only one currently that has it, Miller pretty good too, need more though.
Agree, and Dusty is a player who is one of the best at nailing that last kick. Watching Rogers I think there is a good chance he could also do it as a high half forward.

Evans mentioned in our coffee chat earlier in the year that a certain 2 time Norm Smith medalist was keen to come a year ago. Now if a certain 3 time premiership coach came I would think it would be a lock.

Whether the individual would be worth what we would pay or play more than a year or 2 is concerning.

Huge next 12 months for the club as to miss finals AGAIN and have little belief that next year would be any different than the last 13 players will walk regardless of any love for Dew

Evans mentioned in our coffee chat earlier in the year that a certain 2 time Norm Smith medalist was keen to come a year ago. Now if a certain 3 time premiership coach came I would think it would be a lock.

Whether the individual would be worth what we would pay or play more than a year or 2 is concerning.

Huge next 12 months for the club as to miss finals AGAIN and have little belief that next year would be any different than the last 13 players will walk regardless of any love for Dew

If a potential coach was able to guarantee said Norm Smith medalist, the board clearly would have to act upon it.

And it would surely have a positive flow on effect with other prospective trades.

And it gives 12-months of bonding with current high-profile players before they come out of contract.

If he was keen last year you wouldn't think the coach would be the deciding factor. Reading between the lines though, keen last year but salary cap was a mess and tigers were asking too much( pick 5) this year our first is super valuable to them not so much to us. So we trade our first for the player and some of his salary and they throw in a pick to keep our points up. Still probably way overs for a 33 year old but it's the value of that pick that differs between the 2 clubs.

Interesting we all now saying we really missing a quality forward pocket who puts fear into defenders.
Yet our club were happy to let Rankine go.

Now some of us are calling to trade whoever and whatever we we can to get wizard watson.

Just proves there’s a disconnect between the coaches the recruiting team and the guys pulling the strings at the top.

Interesting we all now saying we really missing a quality forward pocket who puts fear into defenders.
Yet our club were happy to let Rankine go.

Now some of us are calling to trade whoever and whatever we we can to get wizard watson.

Just proves there’s a disconnect between the coaches the recruiting team and the guys pulling the strings at the top.
Wow!
1st off......how do you know the Club was happy to let him go...are you receiving info from the Club that I'm not......I'd be less than happy if that's the case.

2nd.......yeah some members are calling for Watson to be brought in......some being the operative word here....

3rd...but in your mind, this proves there's a disconnect......

I'm sorry Ben, but to my mind, and I'm leaving myself wide open here ;) but to my mind, what you posted doesn't prove a damn thing...

Wow!
1st off......how do you know the Club was happy to let him go...are you receiving info from the Club that I'm not......I'd be less than happy if that's the case.

2nd.......yeah some members are calling for Watson to be brought in......some being the operative word here....

3rd...but in your mind, this proves there's a disconnect......

I'm sorry Ben, but to my mind, and I'm leaving myself wide open here ;) but to my mind, what you posted doesn't prove a damn thing...
Sorry if I pinched your nerve.

Thought it was widely stated in the media we wouldn’t offer more then 600k per season.

Rankine stayed on the GC upto the last minute, well after the trade.

His own family and manager were telling him to not take the S.A deal and to stay at Suns

And he only signed a short term contract not the supposed long term deal on a less then some of the figures thrown around.

That’s how I came to the point… we didn’t come to the party with Rankine

Thought it was widely stated in the media we wouldn’t offer more then 600k per season.

His own family and manager were telling him to not take the S.A deal and to stay at Suns

And he only signed a short term contract not the supposed long term deal on a less then some of the figures thrown around.

We didn’t want to/couldn’t pay the money.

Hindsight says we should have just found the money any way we could. 32 goals for the year to be top 12 goal kickers, and as a small forward sits only behind Toby Green and Charlie Cameron.

A player like Rankine solves half our forward 50 problems. We knew it would hurt losing him, it just probably hurt our team more than we thought.

However, Rankine is a big game player. He seems to love the crowd he gets at AO. Not sure money is the only factor at play here, at least at surface level.

However, Rankine is a big game player. He seems to love the crowd he gets at AO. Not sure money is the only factor at play here, at least at surface level.
Very true. 2023 stats back this up:

2023 total goals: 32
Adelaide Oval goals: 23
Away goals: 9

Would Rankine have kicked as many goals if he was playing for us in front of much smaller crowds most weeks? I doubt it.

Something that sounds good in theory doesn't always work practically.

No need to be sorry, Ben....... I just don't believe everything that the media throws at us, and not sure what a short/long term contract is....

And you're correct, we didn't come to the party obviously, but does that mean the Suns were happy to see him go

And I still can't see where it proves a disconnect...as you've stated

Anyway if you were able to pinch one of my nerves, then you've done well, cause now, at my age, don't reckon I've got any left...;)

Cheers

More to it Ben. I have been told by Suns folk that Rankine’s father re-connected with him last year and this was a major factor in him deciding to return to SA. Add in the additional huge $$$ incentive and the rest is history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, he really wanted to come back to SA. There was very little financially between the deals (Crows less than $100k more) - there was quite a bit of not wanting to say the bad news from Rankine. That's potentially unfair on GCS because it probably seemed like he was staying for longer than when was.

You would think north would be pretty keen on Caleb Graham with a confirmed acl for Logue and McKay seemingly on the way out.

You would think north would be pretty keen on Caleb Graham with a confirmed acl for Logue and McKay seemingly on the way out.
I bet they are.

If Collins (who plays probably worse right now than Caleb) and Ballard goes down who do we have as depth if not Caleb? Andrew, Brock, Stein. We better keep Caleb especially paying him probably peanuts compared to limited number of players on market would cost (and still would not join us at the moment).

pPkG7yg.png

This probably has something to do with the reason his manager asked him to not return to SA because he may get caught up in family issues.

No, he really wanted to come back to SA. There was very little financially between the deals (Crows less than $100k more) - there was quite a bit of not wanting to say the bad news from Rankine. That's potentially unfair on GCS because it probably seemed like he was staying for longer than when was.
Is this ABAB’s burner account? Same nonsense as that clown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back