2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last edited:
Well if we are putting Hollands & Chol on the table, it certainly clears some handy cash & list spots for trades period. Interesting times.
I still don’t understand why we’d trade Chol. Now I get why people and media bring it up, as he hasn’t been playing AFL level. But from a list perspective? I dunno.

Even if Chol and Hollands have the same attitude problem, Hollands is covered by about 14 players on our list, Chol by about 3.

And he’s our best hybrid ruck/forward player, so depth for two roles. We’re an injury to Witts away from a giant problem, as Chol would have to step in with Moyle to cover.

I still don’t understand why we’d trade Chol. Now I get why people and media bring it up, as he hasn’t been playing AFL level. But from a list perspective? I dunno.

Even if Chol and Hollands have the same attitude problem, Hollands is covered by about 14 players on our list, Chol by about 3.

And he’s our best hybrid ruck/forward player, so depth for two roles. We’re an injury to Witts away from a giant problem, as Chol would have to step in with Moyle to cover.
This is from HS article above regarding Chol.
Gold Coast’s leading goal kicker in 2022 played just eight senior games this season after being squeezed out of the forward line by the return of Ben King and emergence of Jack Lukosius as a full time forward. Despite the lack of opportunity, Chol appears eager to remain at the club and fight for his place in the team with the arrival of his former Richmond coach.

It looks like Holman re-signed according to HS article above.
CD Ranking: Above Average
It is understood Holman and the club quietly negotiated a contract extension that will tie him to the Suns until the end of 2024. Even without that, there was no way the Suns would have let one of their favourites slip. Holman’s remit is tackle pressure and he leads by example on that front each and every week.
Rosas :D
His 19 goals in as many games this season may be a career-best, but it’s probably not good enough for a player of Rosas Jr’s potential. Too often disappears in games and failed to hit the scoreboard in nine matches this season. Has promised to work on his touch and fitness in the off-season as he eyes more minutes through the midfield. Signed a two-year contract extension late in the season keeping him at the club to the end of 2025.

Ainsworth our Toby? :grinv1:
One of only two Suns rated as ‘Elite’ by Champion Data this season, Ainsworth has flourished in his high half forward role. Enjoyed a purple patch of form mid-season that included 11 goals in seven games while averaging almost 20 touches. Could he be Gold Coast’s Toby Greene? That’s the hope.

Last edited:
What I think is so funny is that people say GC is a flop, the afl's pet, a basket case but the 2 key indicators show that participation is at record highs, higher than south australia, and the elite talent is being nurtured through our academy, and they cry about us having academy picks, hypocrisy manifest.

Two things can be true at the same time - the GC team existing is essential and important for the continued growth of AFL in QLD, and the AFL gifting them concession after concession (not to mention you were gifted pick 2 purely because Rowell and Ando were best mates??) is an absolute pisstake.

Two things can be true at the same time - the GC team existing is essential and important for the continued growth of AFL in QLD, and the AFL gifting them concession after concession (not to mention you were gifted pick 2 purely because Rowell and Ando were best mates??) is an absolute pisstake.
Who invited you in here? We get the previous concessions we’re overzealous but we are referring to the 3 academy picks this year.

Violin Player GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know if Chol is being floated by us, or if Twomey just threw his name up as a potential key forward who wasnt getting a regular game so assumed he could be had by other clubs? That’s what it sounded like on the podcast.

Anyway, Levi was looking worse for wear as the season came to an end, so we cannot rely on him giving us the same output going forward. Need to keep Chol.

Some people act like we’re the only club in the history of the AFL to get a priority pick and some concessions…

AFL handed them out like candy in the early and mid 2000s, and they are always pick 1, 2 or 3. (Also, not our fault pick 1+2 were friends. There are best friends in every draft pool).

In fact, St Kilda have received more “priority picks” than Suns, one of them being some bloke nobody’s every heard of called Nick Riewoldt, another being some no name player called Luke Ball... 😉

I don’t know if Chol is being floated by us, or if Twomey just threw his name up as a potential key forward who wasnt getting a regular game so assumed he could be had by other clubs? That’s what it sounded like on the podcast.

Anyway, Levi was looking worse for wear as the season came to an end, so we cannot rely on him giving us the same output going forward. Need to keep Chol.
Yeah just Cal spitballing

Some people act like we’re the only club in the history of the AFL to get a priority pick and some concessions…

AFL handed them out like candy in the early and mid 2000s, and they are always pick 1, 2 or 3. (Also, not our fault pick 1+2 were friends. There are best friends in every draft pool).

In fact, St Kilda have received more “priority picks” than Suns, one of them being some bloke nobody’s every heard of called Nick Riewoldt, another being some no name player called Luke Ball... 😉

It does get annoying when those grand final teams and premership winners from 2008 onwards generally have really important priority pick players but don't seem to think that is relevant any more.

The Pies only get Pendles (06 draft) and the Hawks only get Buddy (05 draft) b/c of priority picks.
The Saints had picks 1 and 2 in 2000, picks 2 and 5 in 2001, and then get gifted Goddard in 2002 when the Paper Bag Blues lost the first pick b/c they are cheats.

Give us a spell.

Cal was asked about Chol again this morning. He could be onto something. He mentioned limited opportunity, position squeeze with Walter coming in, shortage of key forwards around the league, would be trade option for clubs.

He said "We will be hearing about Chol in next couple of weeks".

I suspect some clubs are interested. Question is does Chol want to leave.

Cal was asked about Chol again this morning. He could be onto something. He mentioned limited opportunity, position squeeze with Walter coming in, shortage of key forwards around the league, would be trade option for clubs.

100%
I couldn't tell you who plays full forward at the pies. Mierchek?
Tigers lose Reiweldt
Bombers have only 2MP

Yet we will have 8 key forwards on our list 🤷🏽‍♂️

Realistically, what sort of asking price would you expect for Chol? Out of the team currently, but still fairly young and has a decent amount of runs on the board.

If he is indeed on the way out, wouldn't mind Melbourne at least asking the question.

Dustin Martin (Richmond)

“I said to weeks ago to hold the Dusty chat and I still believe that… in fact, I’m probably even more resolute on that now. Damien Hardwick has not been pushing for him behind the scenes, even though he was coy in public he hasn’t been pushing for him.

“There is a private understanding with key decision makers at the Gold Coast Suns that the only way this is even remotely possible is if Dusty agrees to take a pay cut next year and even then, Richmond would have to say yes, which I don’t think they’re going to do.

“If Dusty ends up on the Gold Coast, I firmly believe it will be ahead of the 2025 season as a free agent, not ahead of the 2024 season.”

We should look at trading for Billings

Pick 4 for Billings, 13 and 32 could be a win for all parties. Pushes them up the draft, gives us valuable points and a really good ball user on the wing which we desperately need. Also helps the saints as a bit of a salary dump which would swing the trade in our favour.

Edit: points wise it adds up to 1796 valuing Billings at around pick 54

Last edited:
We should look at trading for Billings

Pick 4 for Billings, 13 and 32 could be a win for all parties. Pushes them up the draft, gives us valuable points and a really good ball user on the wing which we desperately need. Also helps the saints as a bit of a salary dump which would swing the trade in our favour.
No way Billings gets involved in pick 4. Don't think he much has much value at all if he's on big money.

Realistically, what sort of asking price would you expect for Chol? Out of the team currently, but still fairly young and has a decent amount of runs on the board.

If he is indeed on the way out, wouldn't mind Melbourne at least asking the question.
He's one injury to a tall forward away from playing. Two years left on his contract. A good second round pick probably. Prefer to hold though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back