List Mgmt. 2024 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Have we utilised the cat B rookies as well as we could? We had Daniel Flynn and then have basically picked up our academy players that have gone undrafted, given them a year and then delisted them.

Maybe it’s low reward, however Geelong, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Sydney have all regularly used the cat B mechanism, often to great effect.

Have we utilised the cat B rookies as well as we could? We had Daniel Flynn and then have basically picked up our academy players that have gone undrafted, given them a year and then delisted them.

Maybe it’s low reward, however Geelong, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Sydney have all regularly used the cat B mechanism, often to great effect.
That is an awesome question.

Even though it might irk some people, IIRC, there was a time when you could grab a player somehow from NSW or something for free like that and the Crows picked up Taylor Walker. He was a Port supporter and it has always irked me. I always feel a bit crumby when Port supporters play well elsewhere or we don't take a flyer on them especially if they have been buzzing around the club. I think maybe Lachie Neale is in the same categoryish.

That is an awesome question.

Even though it might irk some people, IIRC, there was a time when you could grab a player somehow from NSW or something for free like that and the Crows picked up Taylor Walker. He was a Port supporter and it has always irked me. I always feel a bit crumby when Port supporters play well elsewhere or we don't take a flyer on them especially if they have been buzzing around the club. I think maybe Lachie Neale is in the same categoryish.

Not sure Walker was a Port fan. Pretty sure he was a Crow fan

Taylor Walker was a seven-year old growing a mullet.
A Crows fan, he was in raptures watching Adelaide's first AFL premiership, in 1997. Then the second, in 1998.
"I was a Crows-mad man, I still remember watching it with a couple of mates," Walker told AAP.
I could imagine what a little kid would be feeling like next Saturday. Like I was back in '97-98. It's exciting."

I'm not sure why the club would rather not take a chance on 2 Cat B players.

Instead we've got 2 SANFL listed players recruited from West Adelaide's reserves or wherever running around in our SANFL side.

Not sure Walker was a Port fan. Pretty sure he was a Crow fan
That's enough of me reminiscing in the past. I am a tad worried about September 2004 now.

Anyway, Category B Rookies

2022 - Nathan Barkla
2018 - Manguru Fredericks
2018 - Kai Pudney
2016 - Emannuel Irra
2014 - Johann Wager
2013 - Daniel Flynn

Mid-season Rookie Drafts

2023 - Quinton Narkle
2022 - Brynn Teakle
2021 - Jed McEntee

I don't usually worry too much about these areas because the talent pool is so shallow.

I'm not so worried about the MSD but we could definitely improve our Category B Rookie Game though.

That's enough of me reminiscing in the past. I am a tad worried about September 2004 now.

Anyway, Category B Rookies

2022 - Nathan Barkla
2018 - Manguru Fredericks
2018 - Kai Pudney
2016 - Emannuel Irra
2014 - Johann Wager
2013 - Daniel Flynn

Mid-season Rookie Drafts

2023 - Quinton Narkle
2022 - Brynn Teakle
2021 - Jed McEntee

I don't usually worry too much about these areas because the talent pool is so shallow.

I'm not so worried about the MSD but we could definitely improve our Category B Rookie Game though.
Wasn’t there a young Chinese lad as well? Around the time of the games in China.

I remember him doing an ACL or something like that. Could have been on the Magpies list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn’t there a young Chinese lad as well? Around the time of the games in China.

I remember him doing an ACL or something like that. Could have been on the Magpies list.
I don't know. I didn't find someone of Chinese descent for Cat B
There isn't a list of Cat B's. I had to do a bit of research.
Kai Pudney was of Japanese descent.

Here we go. Chen Shaoliang. Looks like he played for the Magpie Ressies. Dunno if he played for the Maggies though.

Last edited:

Yes, but he was a special project, I don't believe he was ever rookie listed.

Tallan Rosenzweig Forward from Centrals played the under 18s against The Allies.

Looks about 200cm all arms and legs.

Left Foot.
Would be a nice Rookie pick.
Strong sporting family name from that part of the world.

SOUTH AUSTRALIA 3.2 5.5 9.7 13.9 (87)
ALLIES 5.4 7.5 9.7 11.9 (75)

GOALS
South Australia:
Bradley 3, Welsh 3, Howes 2, Newton 2, Barker, Cumming, Nicholls
Allies: Murphy 3, Depaoli-Kubank 2, Dean, Delana, Gallop, Lombard, Stanley, Uwland
Doesn't look like any of our kids played? I cant find stats anywhere.

He's super versatile with potential for midfield and has a lot of potential and if his brother is an out and out star, he will come back to play with him. An added bonus.

I highly rated him at the draft in his year.

And I think he's a Port supporter, that always helps.

He also fits our premiership window well.

If he wasn’t a first round south Australian you wouldn’t be talking about him

Has been underwhelming and as mentioned above, we have pressing needs in other positions and versatility is over rated.

F: Tyler Welsh, Tallan Rosenzweig, Evan Bradley
HF: Ned Bowman, Charlie Nicholls, Jacob Newton
C: Lucas Camporeale, Sid Draper, Harley Barker
HB: Jett Hasting, Tate Delmenico, Dyson Sharp
B: Jacob Sheean, Harry Ramm, Angus Clarke
R: Ryan Borlace, Ben Camporeale, Sam Cumming
INT: Louis Montgomery, Noah Howes, Kade Herbert, Phoenix Hargrave, Harry Dodd, Thomas McKay, Dakota Sterzl

Montgomery 7 touches

F: Tyler Welsh, Tallan Rosenzweig, Evan Bradley
HF: Ned Bowman, Charlie Nicholls, Jacob Newton
C: Lucas Camporeale, Sid Draper, Harley Barker
HB: Jett Hasting, Tate Delmenico, Dyson Sharp
B: Jacob Sheean, Harry Ramm, Angus Clarke
R: Ryan Borlace, Ben Camporeale, Sam Cumming
INT: Louis Montgomery, Noah Howes, Kade Herbert, Phoenix Hargrave, Harry Dodd, Thomas McKay, Dakota Sterzl

Montgomery 7 touches
So Benny & Rome didn't make the cut. Shame.

Edit, can see Rome had a poor game for the U18 Eagles. Wonder if he's been out with injury lately, or was injured during the game. Hasn't been playing much lately, neither has Benny Barrett who doesn't appear to have played on the weekend.

Would like to see Rome get a crack as one of our special permission Magpies players.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back