MVP 2023 GWS MVP - Round 20 Giants put Bulldogs down

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
What a spectacular comeback win that was for GWS, making it 7 on the trot! Two records in one game for the orange team! And some great personal performances: Toby Greene 5 goals, Sam Taylor 15 intercepts, Cal Ward tagging the Bont into submission, Toby Bedford's speed and pressure, and many more. Who impressed you the most? Who gets your votes this week? Maximum 5 per player, with 15 to work with.

4 - Wards shut down on The Bont brought back memories of the Dutch Clamp
4 - Toby Greene for being Toby Greene
4 - Toby 'the tackle machine' Bedford. What he brings to our system is A grade.
3 - Sam Taylor for being Sam Taylor

I'll go a traditional 5-4-3-2-1:

5 - Toby Greene: leadership to the fore, sparked the resurgence with 4 goals in the third quarter
4 - Sam Taylor: similar to last week, after quarter time settled the defence into a brick wall: 15 intercepts and shut down Naughton
3 - Callan Ward: shut down the Bont after quarter time, which was crucial in curbing the Dogs' midfield
2 - Toby Bedford: his pressure, tackling and speed provided some of the spark for our resurgence
1 - Lachie Whitfield: could have given this point equally to Lachie Ash, but the running defenders' counterattack was crucial to our win

I wanted to find a point or two for Keiran Briggs too - solid day but really stood up in the last quarter after looking proppy to start with. But I couldn't put him above any of those 5.

5- Toby Greene
4- Callan Ward
3- Sam Taylor
2- Toby Bedford
1- Lachie Whitfield

5 - Toby G
3 - Taylor
2 - Cogs (almost the perfect midfielder game, also had 9 tackles)
2 - Whitfield (quietly hitting great form again)
2 - Ash (was an important link in most counterattacking chains)
1 - Bedford (pressure and speed!)

Ward, Idun, Briggs all very good. Finn had a good 2nd half.

After the immediate post-game elation slowly wore off, I realised that Cogs and Kelly stepped up in the second half, too, and deserved some points! So, good to see Cogs getting some love from some posters.
Only so many points to give unfortunately.
Cogs, Kelly, Briggs all could of gotten points. All deserving.

Really hard to pick this week. Game of 2 halves, so ended up with a huge spread.

3. Toby G with all the score involvements gets top billing
2. Cogs underated game, he was heavily involved in a lot of the scoring and was big in starting to win the contested stuff
2. Taylor
2. Kelly-
2. Bedford- Huge in the comeback, played crucial roles in alot of the attack
1. Whitfield
1. Ash - underated game, probably the best defensive game from him, halved and won a lot of important constest. plays a big role in our attack
1. Ward- the move to bont changed the game.
1. Briggs purely for his last quarter

will be very interesting to see how the coaches votes go. I suspect Kingsley will name both Ash & Ward in the votes, I reckon the role they play will be noticed by the coaches despite being lower on my list.

5- Toby Greene
4- Callan Ward
3- Sam Taylor
2- Toby Bedford
1- Lachie Whitfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spread mine out again this week as so many put their hands up

4- TFG
3- Slammer
3- Ward
1- Seeker
1- Snooze
1- Breadsy
1- Whits
1- Seeker

Round 20 voting tally - Toby Greene takes the MVG with his goal-scoring heroics:

2023 GWS MVP Rd20.PNG

Progressive tally after the Bulldogs game - Toby rockets away at the top of the ladder after his impressive MVG performance, while Sam Taylor continues his relentless march into the top 5:

2023 GWS MVP Rd20 Total.PNG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back