Preview 2023 Round 5 Carlton vs Adelaide Thursday April 13 7:40PM AEST @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

Welcome back Walshy
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

IN: Blake Acres, Matthew Kennedy, Sam Walsh
OUT: Sam Docherty (knee), Jack Carroll, Josh Honey, Lochie O'Brien

Backs:Lewis YoungJacob WeiteringAdam Saad
Half-backs:Nic NewmanMitch McGovernLachie Cowan
Centreline:Adam CerraPatrick CrippsOllie Hollands
Half-forwards:Zac FisherHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Ed CurnowCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Tom De KoningGeorge HewettSam Walsh
Interchange:Blake AcresCorey DurdinMatthew Kennedy
Marc Pittonet
Emergencies:Jack CarrollJosh HoneyLochie O'Brien
Lachie Plowman

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2009
Penguin
AFL Club
Carlton

Carlton-vs-Adelaide.png

6 games in SA at Adelaide oval. 4 times conceding 100+. Never winning. It’s now time to get it done. This will be a huge motivator for the lads. Walsh Kennedy acres and hopefully Owies to return. Please don’t play Martin.

Last year we had a terrible loss to Adelaide which came out as hurting us in our finals pursuit in the end. This will also be a motivating factor.
Adelaide are ranked 18th for age and games experience but they’re playing a pretty good brand. Not dissimilar to North Melbourne who we took out last week.

Key match ups:

Ben Keays - likely to go to Cripps again but he hasn’t really had the impact lately for this to matter much. Keays got out the back a lot last year. Cripps should be motivated to bully him this year and make his moments count. Good luck trying it again.

Riley Thilthorpe - he’s had a great start to the year. Break out year potentially. I think it’s a job for Lewis young with cover from McGovern who just had his best game in blue.

Jordan Dawson - spending time up the ground but I doubt he will be able to after the McKay/Curnow 10 goal display last game. If he sits off the back of a stoppage for his disposal he may need someone to sit on. Hewett who does a similar job for us may need to give up his game to be defensive.

Taylor Walker - * Taylor Walker. Weitering will destroy him. Not worried one bit. But you may ask why did I include him. It’s because I wanted to say * you Taylor Walker.

Izak Rankine - Gun footballer but it’s another notch in the Nic Newman belt for 2023. He’s turning out to be the best small defender in the game.
The gather round is going to be great for AFL. Super keen to be able to watch it live and the blues to get up early in the round.

Blues by 25

Blues by 25

Last edited by a moderator:
In: Walsh, Kennedy, Acres
Out: LOB, Honey, ?

Hewett looked a bit off the pace but he wasn't subbed out so probably fine. Maybe Ed out and made sub.

Baring any unknown injuries, the changes are pretty straightforward and should deliver a boost.

In : Acres Kennedy Walsh
Out : O’Brien Honey Ed

Newman Young McGovern
Docherty Weitering Saad
Acres Cripps Hollands
Fisher Curnow Silvagni
Durdin McKay Motlop

Pittonet Cerra Walsh

TDK Hewett Kennedy Cowan

SUB : Dow

Going to have to be on from the start in this one as the crows will be absolutely foaming at home …

Think this will be our toughest contest so far, as I rate the Crows and if they click, they are hard to stop

Out: LOB, Honey, Carroll

Sub: Coin toss, probably Ed

Thought Cowan was coming off a little last week, but was strong today, love his natural toughness. If he is to be managed, use Cincotta

Martin probably needs a run at VFL level, Cuners the same

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
Baring any unknown injuries, the changes are pretty straightforward and should deliver a boost.

In : Acres Kennedy Walsh
Out : O’Brien Honey Ed

Newman Young McGovern
Docherty Weitering Saad
Acres Cripps Hollands
Fisher Curnow Silvagni
Durdin McKay Motlop

Pittonet Cerra Walsh

TDK Hewett Kennedy Cowan

SUB : Dow

Going to have to be on from the start in this one as the crows will be absolutely foaming at home …

You’ve got the team pretty much spot on imo, but I think the sub will be Ed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cowan needs a spell. He might be doing his job but I want more out of the half back. Love to give Plowman kemp or Cincotta the spot after the last couple vfl games. Need to promote from within at some stage to create healthy competition.

Cowan was very good defensively and hardly made a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Think this will be our toughest contest so far, as I rate the Crows and if they click, they are hard to stop

Out: LOB, Honey, Carroll

Sub: Coin toss, probably Ed

Thought Cowan was coming off a little last week, but was strong today, love his natural toughness. If he is to be managed, use Cincotta

Martin probably needs a run at VFL level, Cuners the sane
Yep, I'd have the same. Kemp if Gov is injured. Ed stays in if H gets a week.

Cowan was very good defensively and hardly made a mistake.

Agree, but we do need to be mindful that Cow & Dutchy are 1st year players, and it's an away trip with consecutive 6-day breaks. I'd keep both in, but wouldn't be surprised if either is managed.

Agree, but we do need to be mindful that Cow & Dutchy are 1st year players, and it's an away trip with consecutive 6-day breaks. I'd keep both in, but wouldn't be surprised if either is managed.
Another consideration may be Plow... had a very good game in the twos, and might be a horses-for-courses selection against Adelaide, with Rankine & Rachele to mind.

Are we going to be asking for Cow and Ollie to be rested every single week?

Ollie could run another 5k and Cowan has figured out his limitations and is playing within them. Each of his kicks tonight set up a play. (He went at 100%).

Unless they’re injured, they play. Each of these games, with massive crowds, will be doing them wonders as well.

For me it’s:

In: Acres, Walsh, Kennedy

Out: LoB, Carroll, Honey

Ed is the sub.

It does mean one less forward, but it’s not like Honey set the world on fire with his pressure. (Though he did kick a nice goal). In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if Walsh plays the half forward role and comes up to the stoppages.

Strange so many are eager to see Cowan and Hollands make way.

Neither look as though they need a rest. Both were good today.

Kennedy, Acres, Walsh in, though it wouldn’t surprise if only 2 of them made the cut.

LOB, Honey, Carroll the most likely to make way.

As others have said, could well be in: Walsh, Kennedy, Acres; out: LOB, Honey, Carroll
I can see arguments for rests for Cowan and Hollands, but I think 3 changes...
Also, winning ugly, or winning with ugly quarters is OK. I don't think this will be an easy game. I'll take another win by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back