2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Although Rankine is the better of the two, I think Dan Rioli is more of what we actually need right now. I don't think Rankine will ever play as a skilful running/rebounding halfback and Rioli has arguably already done that at an All-Australian level. Plus, Rioli is in his physical prime right now as he just turned 27 so we're theoretically going to get his best years if we recruit him later this year and those two factors bode well for us in opening our premiership window. There's also the natural NT connection that Rankine could never offer.

Overall, I think Dan Rioli would be a great pickup and I suspect the Bulldogs' first round pick (currently no.8) might be heading Richmond's way for him.

Pretty much summed it up, rankine comparsion was more the creativity impact on the side and X factor

Hey fellas, just want to get my facts straight, Suns draft/trade aims this year are essentially:

1. Trade for Rioli (or similar running HBF)
2. Get as many points as possible for this year and next to take GCS academy players only

I.e. not much interest in trading up into the top 5 above a bid for Lombard? You’d rather pints to match bids for the next two years and bring in established Rioli/Bolton types?

Also wondering what you think the club will do with Moyle? Extend with assurances of more game time as Witts rests more or cash in whilst there are 17 clubs interested in him?

Again great win, hope you can repeat the dose against the Blues.

Just my opinion but I believe we would be looking at 1. Speed and skill at half back and or wing. Rioli fits, perryman or cumming or jiath (hawks) other possible targets.
2. A small/medium forward with goalkicking and goal assisting traits. I'm still on board the dusty train, I don't think our salary cap wants the long term high end contracts so dusty for a couple could be manageable. He seems to have checked out at the tigers and wonder if we can rekindle his desire.
3. Draft the best big key back. We have the interceptors but a big strong key back would compliment ballard and Andrew post Collins.
4. Would love to keep Moyle but think he goes so a back up ruck who is happy to play reserves and be ready if needed.

Just my opinion but I believe we would be looking at 1. Speed and skill at half back and or wing. Rioli fits, perryman or cumming or jiath (hawks) other possible targets.
2. A small/medium forward with goalkicking and goal assisting traits. I'm still on board the dusty train, I don't think our salary cap wants the long term high end contracts so dusty for a couple could be manageable. He seems to have checked out at the tigers and wonder if we can rekindle his desire.
3. Draft the best big key back. We have the interceptors but a big strong key back would compliment ballard and Andrew post Collins.
4. Would love to keep Moyle but think he goes so a back up ruck who is happy to play reserves and be ready if needed.
Would Trainor fit this category? He’s undersized currently but looks the best KPD option in the draft on exposed form, you’d obviously have to take him with a top pick before Lombard at pick 5-12.

Tiger sidesteps questions on future​

Daniel Rioli has stopped short of guaranteeing he will remain at Richmond, ahead of Saturday night’s Dreamtime at the ’G showdown with Essendon.
Gold Coast are again on the hunt for a half-back, after missing out on Western Bulldog Jason Johannisen then trading for Ben Long two years ago – and Rioli looms as their prime target with one of their bevy of first-round selections.
Speculation has been rife about Rioli’s future in the past month, particularly as injury has hastened the Tigers’ descent into the AFL’s bottom two.

Adem Yze-coached Richmond are set to invest heavily in the draft this year and could be tempted to offload established senior players if the price is right.

“Look, I’m obviously contracted to 2027,” Rioli said.

“But right now, I’m just focusing on this team and trying to get these boys better. I’m a young leader myself. I’ve been here for about nine years now, so I’m just trying to play happy footy. I lean on people like [our club] leaders, like Nathan Broad and all that.
“They keep me in good stead and all I’m focusing on is this year and getting this team to where we want to go.”
Pushed further on whether he had a message for Richmond fans nervous about his plans, Rioli said only that he loved the “Tiger army” before bringing the conversation back to the Dreamtime clash.

The Tigers’ list could look drastically different in 2025, with doubt around the future – for various reasons – of the likes of Dustin Martin, Liam Baker, Jack Graham, Dylan Grimes and Kamdyn McIntosh, whose contracts all expire at season’s end.
Deals are also still to be struck for captain Toby Nankervis, Dion Prestia, Maurice Rioli, Thomson Dow, Marlion Pickett, Ben Miller, Mykelti Lefau and Samson Ryan.

I like the club going after Rioli , but hopefully we don’t overpay (we have a history). I think one of our firsts and maybe a juicy 2nd if the Tigers pay part of Dusty’s wage as part of the deal

Suns
out top 10 pick and early second rounder
In, Rioli and 300k of Dusty’s wage

I still think that’s generous but he is contracted, Thoughts?

I like the club going after Rioli , but hopefully we don’t overpay (we have a history). I think one of our firsts and maybe a juicy 2nd if the Tigers pay part of Dusty’s wage as part of the deal

Suns

Yeah I think this could be a part of a deal if the tigers are going into rebuild mode. It would be part of rioli wage as dusty is ooc but all the same really. Richmond either pay some $$ for a draft pick or over pay players to reach the cap floor.

Reckon this is spot on.

I'm sure we try to keep Moyle, but expect him to leave.

I'd add 5. shift picks to 2025 if they are not needed as there may be a few Academy players we want (Uwland, Murray, patterson, Adinsall).

Suns

Dusty is OOC so I'm not sure Richmond could take on his salary even if they wanted too? Maybe higher picks if they keep some of Rioli's?

Out - 1st, pick 20
In - Rioli (minus some salary), 2025 2nd?

I think points 1 and 2 have to be priorities. A half-back to replace Sexton, a winger to replace Fiorini.

We still have Powell and Weller to come back, so it’s possible that one new quality recruit may be enough. Either way, we still have some depth there if needed, but they drop down a peg depending on who is best.

Yes, I would love a forward to take Holman’s spot permanently. But we can manage with the some blue collar players around quality talls (a bit like Carlton).

We can probably go another year with our current tall backs before we think to trade someone in (unless we get the perfect player). Maybe even two years with Collins moving to third defender over time.

If I was Moyle, I’d go. But only to a club who need a number one ruck. Geelong might be interested after the bath he gave them. If he’s gonna play second fiddle, he may as well stay, as there is a direct path here to number 1 ruck (unless he wants to go back to Melbourne).

Yes, I would love a forward to take Holman’s spot permanently.
Let's say Holman will not get a contract or is just depth. We still got Rosas, Berry, Rogers and Lombard coming next year. So who will sit out if we bring another forward. We also have a Johnston who is showing some great traits (first year tried down back). And there is still Ainsworth. Humphrey looks like he will spend more time forward than middle too.

If we bring in Rioli, then someone will be extra. Jeffrey? Weller? Uwland? Sexton most obvious? Budarick not making it? Powell is still coming back. Flanders is a love child of Dimma down back too.

Last edited:
Let's say Holman will not get a contract or is just depth. We still got Rosas, Berry, Rogers and Lombard coming next year. So who will sit out if we bring another forward. We also have a Johnston who is showing some great traits (first year tried down back). And there is still Ainsworth. Humphrey looks like he will spend more time forward than middle too.

If we bring in Rioli, then someone will be extra. Jeffrey? Weller? Uwland? Sexton most obvious? Budarick not making it? Powell is still coming back. Flanders is a love child of Dimma down back too.
True. But a good small forward is probably better than all of them right now. Rosas is our best small; Berry our best pressure forward (but needs to learn to take his opportunities at goal by improving his finishing). The others are developing, at best.

And Humphrey is a forward-mid. I’m talking a full-time small forward who just kicks goals. A 30-40 goal small forward would make our forward line close to elite. But, for the record, I don’t think any are on the market that fit that upgrade potential.

But if we did get one instead of a HB, Ainsworth could play wing too.

As for backs, Powell replaces Sexton. But if we get a good HB, then maybe Powell can go wing instead of Fiorini to use his intercepting and kick further down the ground. Jeffery and the new HB (let’s just say Rioli, for arguments sake but could be any that others have listed) are good enough for disposals and rebound. Uwland could be replaced too; he’s ok and is promising, but sometimes an already made upgrade is needed.

Flanders can rotate more midfield and back. Our other mids can rotate forward instead.

We have options.

This is why I think one quality, A grade type player and one depth player is our goal. Then we can still rotate all those developing players through.

We might also lose some players in the off-season, even contracted ones, as Hardwick re-shapes the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looks like other people I’ve known who are counting down the days to retirement.
Yep. I think he was going to announce his retirement effective immediately a few weeks back and was convinced to at least get to 300 games. He will now do it straight after his 300th in a few weeks.

Blake Hardwick at hawks is a gun
Plays tough like Holman but kicked 4 in a qtr against the power last week

Another would be Cody weightman would add some zest to the forward line next to mally.

Use a 2025 first and some sweeteners to get it done

Our top rated goal tally this year.

Nose has kicked more goals then Berry Holman etc

Those giving Ainsworth a lil boot.
Sits 2nd on goals this year and prob right up there on In50s and goal assists

View attachment 1997515
That’s my problem with Holman and Berry. I think we can run one of them. Berry is faster and younger, so he gets my vote.

We have plenty of entries but need scores for them. Holman just doesn’t get enough goals. Need to be getting close to 20 from each lesser small across a season to be competitive, really. A goal a game is reasonable for a good team.

Then have one that scores 30 plus to be a genuine threat.

That’s my problem with Holman and Berry. I think we can run one of them. Berry is faster and younger, so he gets my vote.

We have plenty of entries but need scores for them. Holman just doesn’t get enough goals. Need to be getting close to 20 from each lesser small across a season to be competitive, really. A goal a game is reasonable for a good team.

Then have one that scores 30 plus to be a genuine threat.
So what is the ideal front line?

King, Luko, Walter as the talls
Rosas, one of Berry/Holman and Rogers
Humpa rotaing forward and mid?

Humpa probably plays more midfield in the next few years as his fitness improves, but Lombard could fill that role at least initially?

Need to find a spot long term for a second ruck too.

Are we in a premiership window next year?
Do we start trading all our draft capital for established players?

And get that premiership Witts and swallow deserve in the next 2-3 years?
Need to make finals to be in a premiership window. I personally don't think we are near it yet. We need another outside winger and some more speed off the backline. Rioli is a must get imo, imagine having Rioli and Weller running off the backline with Andrew and Ballard intercepting everything. We would suddenly look a lot more dangerous.

Need to make finals to be in a premiership window. I personally don't think we are near it yet. We need another outside winger and some more speed off the backline. Rioli is a must get imo, imagine having Rioli and Weller running off the backline with Andrew and Ballard intercepting everything. We would suddenly look a lot more dangerous.

So realistically

Jarrod Berry RFA & Dan Rioli away from premiership window?

Both gettable using our 3 firsts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back