Mod. Notice Gold Coast & Carlton Wickzki Week

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Hello friends, Some things are slightly bigger than footy.

In a special joint effort spearheaded by the good folks over on the Carlton Board - This week’s game against Carlton will take on extra significance.

We would like to introduce you to the inaugural edition of Wickzki Week.

You may know the poster – since joining BF in 2010, Wick has established himself as a respected voice on this board, and a highly valued contributor.

What you may not know is the story behind the poster. There’s an incredible story here which we will let Wick share in as much detail as he would like.

There are ongoing health issues and with that comes sensitivities, so whilst this week is about him, we’re going to give Wick the opportunity to share as much or as little as he likes.

We want this week to be in honour of Wick’s contribution to the board which has been immense.
We want to celebrate what he has brought to our community, and provide an opportunity for you all to thank him for it.

Why this week?

Wick is Melbourne born and raised but moved to Queensland in 2015, and has been a member of our Suns for much of the time since then.

Whilst he's made it known that he's Carlton through and through, we also occupy a special place in his heart.

So…how does it work?

• This week’s preview on the Carlton board (HERE) has been written by the man himself – give it a read. If it’s like everything else he’s written on their forum, it is well worth your time
  • Special edition of the BigFooty Blues Podcast featuring and special hosts and guests
  • Q&A / AMA – Wick will very generously share his story with us all and has agreed to answer any questions you may have.
    Whilst the condition is a rare one, Wick’s insights may be of significant value particularly to those of you who know someone going through something similar.
  • Celebrating Wick’s contribution – many of you have spent plenty of time going back and forth with Wick over the years. If you’ve got any stories or memories you’d like to share, please do!
  • Fundraising – Raising awareness is great but so too is raising funds. And this week we’ll be raising funds for two causes close to Wickzki’s heart:
    • Princess Alexandra Hospital (Brisbane); and
    • Spinal Life Australia
We know it’s a tough time for many but we’re asking you to dig deep and donate what you can to two very special causes.

To kick us off – Chief and BigFooty have put in $100, and have agreed to get right behind this initiative.

Anyone who donates will receive a very special Wickzki Week BigFooty badge!

To donate, simply go to either (or both!) of the links below and follow the prompts:

PA Research Foundation - Make a Donation

Thank you for supporting Spinal Life Australia « Spinal Life

Note re: donations
  • To receive a badge, please post a picture of your donation receipts in this thread.
  • Remember to blur out all personal details before posting the picture.
  • If donating to the PA Research Foundation, please include a note in the field "Leave PA Research Foundation a message" that the funds should go to the Spinal Unit
Thanks all and welcome to Wickzki Week!

A huge thanks to Big Red Machine, other mods on this forum and all Gold Coast supporters. Thanks again to Jeremias for tagging me

I suffered a one in a million condition called Cauda Equina Syndrome back at the start of 2019. For those familiar with the hospitals up here I ended up having life saving emergency surgery on my L4/L5/S1 performed by Dr Kate Campbell (and team) at the PA Hospital. I then got misplaced, lost and shuffled about the health system for two and a half years before being introduced to the spinal unit team. I spent 3 months in the SIU in mid-to-late 2021.

Instead of cutting and pasting info on CES I'd ask that you please read this Wiki entry especially if you or someone you know has experienced lower back pain and sciatica.

CES is a medical emergency that can dramatically change your entire life (two thirds become paralysed and end up in a wheel chair. I've been somewhat lucky in that while my motor skills are diminished I can still walk with limitations).

I view this week as being much more about CES Awareness than I do about myself and the tremendous work the men and women who work in the SIU perform each and every day (as understaffed and underfunded as they are I wouldn't be here today without the 3 months they provided care and worked on many of the prolonged issues CES left me with) and Spinal Life Australia who along with the SPOT (Spinal Outreach Team) continue this great work after hospitalisation and do so for hundreds of not thousands of Queenslanders.

Good luck this weekend. The Suns have a huge place in my heart for being a member most years since 2015 and subsequently when my cousin was drafted to the club a few years later.

Thank you very much.

Hey all. Just wanted to thank anyone and everyone who has donated thus far, and remind anyone who was intending to, to please do so.

Let me know once done and I'll add you to the growing list of posters who will receive a special Wickzki Week badge.

A huge thanks to Big Red Machine, other mods on this forum and all Gold Coast supporters. Thanks again to Jeremias for tagging me

I suffered a one in a million condition called Cauda Equina Syndrome back at the start of 2019. For those familiar with the hospitals up here I ended up having life saving emergency surgery on my L4/L5/S1 performed by Dr Kate Campbell (and team) at the PA Hospital. I then got misplaced, lost and shuffled about the health system for two and a half years before being introduced to the spinal unit team. I spent 3 months in the SIU in mid-to-late 2021.

Instead of cutting and pasting info on CES I'd ask that you please read this Wiki entry especially if you or someone you know has experienced lower back pain and sciatica.

CES is a medical emergency that can dramatically change your entire life (two thirds become paralysed and end up in a wheel chair. I've been somewhat lucky in that while my motor skills are diminished I can still walk with limitations).

I view this week as being much more about CES Awareness than I do about myself and the tremendous work the men and women who work in the SIU perform each and every day (as understaffed and underfunded as they are I wouldn't be here today without the 3 months they provided care and worked on many of the prolonged issues CES left me with) and Spinal Life Australia who along with the SPOT (Spinal Outreach Team) continue this great work after hospitalisation and do so for hundreds of not thousands of Queenslanders.

Good luck this weekend. The Suns have a huge place in my heart for being a member most years since 2015 and subsequently when my cousin was drafted to the club a few years later.

Thank you very much.
It was my pleasure mate, Thanks for sharing your story.

Hopefully, it's a great game that'll have you conflicted on Sunday ;)

1686906911324.png

Jeremias

I'm relatively new in Big Footy (March 22) but some things are bigger than our great game.
This is one of them.
I don't know Wick but hope that the battle he's in ends up positive for him.
This is a great cause and I have no problem with helping out and encourage everyone to help out if they can.
Every little bit helps.
Go Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Back