List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

If Stengle or Hayward end up at other clubs and we are left with the same forwards as the last few years I genuinely might not even watch the season.

It's the exact same story, year after year... Yet some in here still look at them as valuable commodities because of the 1-2 good games they can actually get fit and firing for.

Stengle, Hayward, Switkowski, Cumberland... Don't even care who much anymore, just anyone not made of cellophane!

Durability wise, maybe not

If Stengle or Hayward end up at other clubs and we are left with the same forwards as the last few years I genuinely might not even watch the season.

It's the exact same story, year after year... Yet some in here still look at them as valuable commodities because of the 1-2 good games they can actually get fit and firing for.

Stengle, Hayward, Switkowski, Cumberland... Don't even care who much anymore, just anyone not made of cellophane!
Pretty sure the patience of these injury riddled players will have exhausted the patience of Voss & list management team by year end.

We cannot be a top four team until we can have a more healthy list.
Probably would exclude Cumberland from that list.
l would expect quite a few list changes at year end.

Pretty sure the patience of these injury riddled players will have exhausted the patience of Voss & list management team by year end.

We cannot be a top four team until we can have a more healthy list.
Probably would exclude Cumberland from that list.
l would expect quite a few list changes at year end.
Switkowski has had hamstring issues the last few years too

If Hayward's missus gets him here on a reasonable wage like some in here are saying, lets build her a statue. He is as durable as they come.

Cuningham, Martin and Marchbank need to go - they are just too injury prone making our reliance on them fraught if we want to win the flag - so hopefully our List Management and Talent Identification team are focussing on finding like-for-like replacements for all three who can best 22 next year and allow us to compete for a flag.

Only injury prone player I'd be opposed to losing this season is Gov. The rest can all go for all i care.

Our 6-7 superstars aren't going to be around forever, if there's adequate replacements for the paper mache gang with better durability then to hell with unity and loyalty, get rid of them and get some new heads in who can stay on the park.

We can win a flag with our core list with only a handful of changes needed to get over the hump imo.

For close to 3 years, people have stated their concerns around injury prone types, hoping we would transition them out over the past a couple of years

Now it seems that we may move on most of them in one off season

Poor strategy to leave it this late
The thing is, of those injury prone players, we cut Philp, and were stuck with Williams half way into his contract and coming off an ACL.

The other 4 played a huge part of our resurgence to play our first prelim in over 2 decades, and of those, Gov played 22 games and pretty clearly earned a 2 year deal, and Martin was still contracted.
That leaves Cunners and Marchy. They both got 1 year extensions. We brought in Lij, and Fantasia.
Realistically, Cunners and Marchy kept off 2 players who we would have picked after Matt Carroll. Unlikely to be any more ready than Moir or Wilson or Carroll (who’s in the rehab group with the others).

It was a risk which hasn’t worked out, but was worth taking.

The thing is, of those injury prone players, we cut Philp, and were stuck with Williams half way into his contract and coming off an ACL.

The other 4 played a huge part of our resurgence to play our first prelim in over 2 decades, and of those, Gov played 22 games and pretty clearly earned a 2 year deal, and Martin was still contracted.
That leaves Cunners and Marchy. They both got 1 year extensions. We brought in Lij, and Fantasia.
Realistically, Cunners and Marchy kept off 2 players who we would have picked after Matt Carroll. Unlikely to be any more ready than Moir or Wilson or Carroll (who’s in the rehab group with the others).

It was a risk which hasn’t worked out, but was worth taking.

Cuners and Marchbank were the ones, that needed tough calls to be made on, now it will be made come end of year

Unfortunately, we might need more tough calls to be made

Cuners and Marchbank were the ones, that needed tough calls to be made on, now it will be made come end of year

Unfortunately, we might need more tough calls to be made
Yeah, but both coming back from ACLs to play 13 consecutive (Cunners, before being dropped for the prelim, arguably a mistake) and the final 8 games to get a coaches vote in the prelim (Marchy).
Both in roles that we don’t have a lot of coverage in. I think it’s very much only in hindsight to say it was a mistake, they were very much worth the risk.

I guess Fogarty is the other one I missed, also got a 1 year extension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would rather this than selling the farm for a free agent or trade option. I would prefer a next generation KPP if we get ahead of a bid, but that reel is of a player we could use.

His brother has not managed to get on the park yet at the Saints. Has the dash and step we so much need. Good vision, OK disposal. Plays a but nonchalantly, even arrogantly at the lower level. Will be interesting to see how he goes when the top liners gather for the championships.

Definitely a close watch through the season, appears to add that genuine zip forward, the ability to separate, and will have the scope to go in to the midfield when he matures in a few years.
Agreed.

For close to 3 years, people have stated their concerns around injury prone types, hoping we would transition them out over the past a couple of years

Now it seems that we may move on most of them in one off season

Poor strategy to leave it this late

Agreed

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Cuningham, Martin and Marchbank need to go - they are just too injury prone making our reliance on them fraught if we want to win the flag - so hopefully our List Management and Talent Identification team are focussing on finding like-for-like replacements for all three who can best 22 next year and allow us to compete for a flag.

The thing is, if we had let those guys go already we would have kids on the list who would also not be ready to play. However, the issue is we now will have to do it all in one off season rather than staggering it. Like others have pointed out, in hindsight it’s been poor management.

Of those three you named, I suspect we will retain Marchbank on a 1 year deal as our key defensive stocks are threadbare. Martin and Cuningham will likely be let go despite being two of our most talented players. We will have to be aggressive in targeting free agents to replace them as we need ready-to-go guys while we are in a flag window. Speculative kids beyond pick 50 won’t help.

Aside from Marchbank, Martin, Cuningham, there is also McGovern (soft tissue), Williams (soft tissue, achilles, ACL), Docherty (ACLs), Silvagni (ACL), Cerra (soft tissue), Motlop (soft tissue), Walsh (back), Hewett (back), S. Durdin (soft tissue), Fantasia (soft tissue), Mirkov (heart), Cottrell (multiple foot injuries) who all are either injury prone or have ongoing issues that need management. It’s the single biggest reason we may not win a flag this year or while we are in the window.

The thing is, if we had let those guys go already we would have kids on the list who would also not be ready to play. However, the issue is we now will have to do it all in one off season rather than staggering it. Like others have pointed out, in hindsight it’s been poor management.

Of those three you named, I suspect we will retain Marchbank on a 1 year deal as our key defensive stocks are threadbare. Martin and Cuningham will likely be let go despite being two of our most talented players. We will have to be aggressive in targeting free agents to replace them as we need ready-to-go guys while we are in a flag window. Speculative kids beyond pick 50 won’t help.

Aside from Marchbank, Martin, Cuningham, there is also McGovern (soft tissue), Williams (soft tissue, achilles, ACL), Docherty (ACLs), Silvagni (ACL), Cerra (soft tissue), Motlop (soft tissue), Walsh (back), Hewett (back), S. Durdin (soft tissue), Fantasia (soft tissue), Mirkov (heart), Cottrell (multiple foot injuries) who all are either injury prone or have ongoing issues that need management. It’s the single biggest reason we may not win a flag this year or while we are in the window.
100% agree, they had a go, but in hindsight its poor list management...

Our window, is now.

They'll need to do a lot of work in a very short period of time to rectify this.

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

I definitely don't believe this is AR's doing. There's some of the best sport doctors in Soccer and they also have players like Martin, Cunners, Marchbank etc. who continuously are injured. It just.. happens. Bad recruiting? Too much faith in our team to get these players right?

We also play as a high pressure, high intensity team. We need to train like that to build that gut running/endurance, if some of those players can not handle it, we can't carry them anymore.

As much as I love all 3 of them, we can not keep carrying their list spots.

Yep… Marchbank, Cuners and Martin won’t be on the books in 2025 and it’s about time.

I wanted them gone last year for the very reason people want them gone now. A mostly fit list is vital when in the Premiership window

I would take a hard tough resilient player over a talented player that can’t get on the park any day of the week

Why would they have to be kids?

We will bring in 3-4 kids like most years.

The rest will be FAs like Hewett, cheap recruits like Acres or Hollands, mid season mature picks like Boyd and/or SSPs like Cincotta

Look at our list and how many mature players we have recruited from other clubs or state leagues. That is List Management

My only gripe with our List Management is hanging onto injured players for way too long

Marchbank
Martin
Cuningham
Akuei
Mirkov
Young
Plus another 3-4

All gone
I'd cry tears of happiness if this occurs. It's beyond frustrating knowing our best is good enough to win the whole thing this year but we may never get to see it for more than a week or two at a time due to the perennially injured list cloggers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back