List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

I really like Caleb as a player.

Not sure we need him

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah pretty much this. He is a good player, would fit within our best 22 somewhere but he is not a need and his deficiencies create too many headaches that out weight is strengths. Can’t imagine he’d come over on less than the AFL average $$. Pass unless ridiculously cheap.

I think that we have to set the bar slightly higher than "better than Young".

And I'm not even sure that Howard fits that criteria. A big no for me.

Unfortunately with finite cap space and very little to trade you need to look for value in positions such as FB. Especially if we want to splurge 650k+ on the forward line.

He is definitely a better defender than Young. If Young was any good we wouldn’t be fronting up with a 192cm stopper every other weekend.

End of this year will be interesting. Players over 30 next year include Saad, McGovern, Williams and Docherty. For me, it's about list profile for the next 2 or 3 years. I am not suggesting any of those names go, but IMO injury prone need to go to allow development of gen-next...
With Newman turning 32 and Cripps, Hewett and Acres turning 30. This is why I would be happy for us to take a risk and backend contracts for FA or recruits this year. We have room to move over the next few years. Plus Kennedy and JSOS who are out of contract next season and aren’t vital players.

Battle is a pretty good player but will get better offers elsewhere. He’d need to take unders to come to Carlton. Would rather persist with Kemp who is a similar type.

I actually wouldn’t mind having a shot at Dougal Howard if we go for someone from StKilda. Has been through some poor form recently but is a pretty good stopper with a super boot when he’s on. Better than Young at the very least. 28yo.

A Harris Andrews would be lovely but I don’t think we need to splurge to find a good FB. It would’ve been Durdin if he could stay fit. There are plenty of cheap guys who could fit into a system and play a role alongside a gun like Weitering, we just have to take a punt.

I can see value to a the acquisition of Howard.
Big body & can play on the opposition's primary option, releasing Weitering to CHB.
I'm not sure of his contract status but I believe he was on a decent salary.

I like Sam Durdin and all .. but by golly the myth is getting bigger day by day.

He has played one senior game for us in close to three years and suddenly he’s being touted as a plug and play option going forward by some.

I’d give Denver Grainger-Barras and/or Jedd Busslinger, opportunity to learn under Weitering if they wanted to move..

Both top draft picks that have dropped in value…

Jedd Busslinger will never be a Carlton player under Austin.

I like Sam Durdin and all .. but by golly the myth is getting bigger day by day.

He has played one senior game for us in close to three years and suddenly he’s being touted as a plug and play option going forward by some.
Is it crediting Sam or is it wanting him over the alternative which is Young?

I'd much rather see Durdin before Young next time an extra tall defender is needed, but I don't think he's going to be a world beater.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Battle is not what we need, even if he comes for free. Suspect he will land at Collingwood to replace the retired Nathan Murphy anyway.

Leek Aleer is the one I'd be targetting. Stuck behind Taylor/Buckley/Himmelberg at GWS and showed that he is very capable and has potential to grow into a gun KPD.

What I really like about him is his athleticism and reach, which gives him a point of difference to Weiters, which I think would conplement Jacob's game quite well - similar to how Liam Jones' athleticism and reach worked well as a pairing.

Contracted for 2025 at GWS and just turned 23, but stuck outside of the best 22. Could be cheaper $$$ than a FA, but would likely cost a late first rounder (likely our 1st).

This could work, particularly if we target Hayward and Stengle as FAs, all balancing out. Trade out some role players for 2nds and 3rds to bulk up points for Campo twins.

I’d give Denver Grainger-Barras and/or Jedd Busslinger, opportunity to learn under Weitering if they wanted to move..

Both top draft picks that have dropped in value…
DGB unfortunately looking like just an average player, particularly for a tall/KPD type, his output so far has been underwhelming, #6 2020 draft 22yrs 194cm 28 games into his 4th season, Hawks are crying out for a KPD, has also been tried up forward, so far hasn’t displayed much to be excited about…

Dogs have apparently just started talks with extending Busslinger’s contract, may have other offers hopefully we’re also one that are interested in him, wait and see atm…

RE: Caleb Daniel, obviously a sublime kick but can we cover for his lack of size and defensiveness?

If the Dogs can't make it work with him, how would we do it differently?
If he's moved up to half forward I could see him play a Gryan Miers role for us.

Agree on his negatives. Doggies haven't done a good job on mitigating those.

Not sure why everyone is so keen to ship Youngy off all the time.

200+cm players that can fill in as a ruck/key forward/key back are extremely rare.
Someone that can do it well is extremely rare.
The problem is that anywhere you name him, there's some concern - he gets thrown around due to a lack of a clear position IMO.
Do you want him as a focal point? No.
Do you want him logging many minutes in the ruck? No.
Do you want him on a dangerous forward? No.
I'm not rushing to move him on but feel that we probably need more impact from both the second KPD & utility spot. (That Marchbank gets selected ahead of him regardless of Marchy's form has to be a concern)
Hopefully he can figure it out as it'll resolve a significant query for us going forward.

Josh Battle is not what we need, even if he comes for free. Suspect he will land at Collingwood to replace the retired Nathan Murphy anyway.

Leek Aleer is the one I'd be targetting. Stuck behind Taylor/Buckley/Himmelberg at GWS and showed that he is very capable and has potential to grow into a gun KPD.

What I really like about him is his athleticism and reach, which gives him a point of difference to Weiters, which I think would conplement Jacob's game quite well - similar to how Liam Jones' athleticism and reach worked well as a pairing.

Contracted for 2025 at GWS and just turned 23, but stuck outside of the best 22. Could be cheaper $$$ than a FA, but would likely cost a late first rounder (likely our 1st).

This could work, particularly if we target Hayward and Stengle as FAs, all balancing out. Trade out some role players for 2nds and 3rds to bulk up points for Campo twins.
Yes Aleer looks extremely promising...

194cm with a 5m leap!!

OOC end of '25 but everyone deals with a year left to run...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back