He averages 1.4 a game, Hollands 0.8

13 touches to 15.5

3.1 tackles to 2.4

1 clearance to 1.4

2.6 marks to 3.4

4.5 score involvements on both sides.

It's not exactly a huge difference

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hollands goal average when i posted was 0.66 and has dropped slightly after this weeks match, it isn’t 0.8, Zurhaar averages are over 100 AFL games which is impressive.

It was a strange take comparing the two anyway in my opinion, i see Zurhaar as mainly a forward, so his disposal numbers shouldn’t be high and his goals higher which they are, Hollands i see as building to more time in the midfield so his disposal numbers should be higher with lower goals, which they are.

Slow players are hard to kick to compared to fast players. You can miss a fast player by 10m and they still get to it. You miss a slow player by 10 meters and the ball hits the ground or an opponent first. Something I learnt very early in my footy career.

Our kicking is not fabulous over the board but you do have to hit slow guys perfectly, there's a lot less margin for error compared to quicker players.

I think our lack of leg speed amplifies the kicking deficiencies in our side. Fast teams just seem to be able to make skill errors and things still come off.

Some of the good sides, you will see them knock the ball forward, accidently hit up one on ones in the middle and it comes off for them because they have the leg speed once the ball is in open space. We can't get away doing those things because we're too slow over the entire field.

Our game plan and team structure is for footy prior to 2022. The game has changed a lot since then and those teams who's lists were ready for that or have adjusted to that are the better teams. We are still outdated in structure and tactics.

Our kicking would be a lot better if our players were a lot better at making up ground and getting to it.
I'm not so sure

No one would call the Pies slow, but their disposal efficiency is bottom 6, Cats are last

At the other end Dockers are first as they want to possess the ball with plenty of sideways kicks

2017, Tigers were last, their strength was chaos footy. 2015, Hawks were on top, they wanted to possess the footy. 2023, Pies were mid table

If you are looking at outdated gameplans, look no further that Ross Lyon

So if our footy was so archaic, then 2023 would never have eventuated. I believe it's more about taking important opportunities

Although, I believe gamestyle still has holes in consistency

Last edited:
Everyone’s a gun when they’re missing and they become trade commodity when they’re playing.

TDK needs to be first choice ruck to be effectual. Pitto has been quite good since coming back and getting his hands on the ball a lot more. Lacks the dynamism of TDK but an honest solider.

Regardless, curing the Pitto-TDK debacle is not what’s going to solve the issues.

Our points against total is concerning. We ended last season with the 4th lowest total and we are going into round 11 with the 4th highest total. In four of the last six games we have leaked 98+points and in both games we were missing Cerra and Saad (includes the Adelaide game where he got injured in the 2nd qtr). Both vital cogs to getting the ball out of our backline and our ability to apply pressure in the midfield and restrict the ease with which the opposition runs into their forward line. Cottrell is also a damaging out because of how good he is at negating his opponent, covering kms and applying pressure.

As horrid as Friday’s spectacle was, it has been quite a while since we’ve been trounced like that. Let’s just see how the next couple weeks pan out before we let the panic sets in

I get that many might be frustrated with the likes of TDK, but we also know development isn't linear and especially youngish giraffe like ruckmen

I wouldn't be putting up for a trade just yet, but you always listen to the market

Is it development though? Or is it Voss set on playing two rucks and relegating Tom to second ruck because Pitto isn’t flexible enough to play elsewhere?

Tom was playing really well across the ground in the early rounds, although giving up ground in the centre clearances, since Pitto coming in, we look really good at the clearances and Tom has really regressed.

My point being is Tom struggling because he is being forced to play second fiddle?

Is it development though? Or is it Voss set on playing two rucks and relegating Tom to second ruck because Pitto isn’t flexible enough to play elsewhere?

Tom was playing really well across the ground in the early rounds, although giving up ground in the centre clearances, since Pitto coming in, we look really good at the clearances and Tom has really regressed.

My point being is Tom struggling because he is being forced to play second fiddle?

I don't see TDK as a good ruckman at the moment and perhaps that's more about a lack of maturity

Yes, we are a better stoppage team, but that's how we are built, your gameplan is dictated by personnel

Tom needs to work on playing percentages, even when playing as a forward

Would gladly trade TDK for 2 mid 1sts. There would be buyers.

Tdk could become great, but with Pitto with another 3 years, we have a developing ruck in HOK I think could be great, the impending return of JSOS and the fact he just doesn’t work up forward with Charlie and Harry, I just think it’s time.

Frees up cash and gives us a chance to either take kids in the upcoming drafts or we trade for young players that fit our current list needs.

TDK is a star when allowed to play in his proper position

Pitto TDK debate is a non issue imo.

What we should be focusing on is that Lachie Fogarty is STILL 2nd on our goal assists tally behind Nic Newman... We have THREE players averaging a goal a game or more...

Our small forwards and half forwards are insipid. That's the biggest issue on our list and would help address many of our current issues if we could fix them.

Miers, Hayward, Rankine, Stengle, Papley etc, they roll up the field to help apply pressure and force turnovers, they deliver the ball lace out to other forwards, and they kick goals. Ours struggle to do just one aspect of that each.

Get better smalls and we address our speed and defensive issues through the middle of the ground, we address our bombing long to the 50 issue and we address our over reliance of H and Charles.

What we should be focusing on is that Lachie Fogarty is STILL 2nd on our goal assists tally behind Nic Newman... We have THREE players averaging a goal a game or more...

Our small forwards and half forwards are insipid. That's the biggest issue on our list and would help address many of our current issues if we could fix them.

Miers, Hayward, Rankine, Stengle, Papley etc, they roll up the field to help apply pressure and force turnovers, they deliver the ball lace out to other forwards, and they kick goals. Ours struggle to do just one aspect of that.

Get better smalls and we address our speed and defensive issues through the middle of the ground, we address our bombing long to the 50 issue and we address our over reliance of H and Charles.
This was a known problem last years that Austen should have fixed last year. Ginnivan and Schultz were both available but he wasnt close enough to get in the conversation.

His inaction has cost us as much as Russell’s pre season schedule from hell. Both will survive for another year when they should be sacked for costing us another year of our premiership window.

Miers, Hayward, Rankine, Stengle, Papley etc, they roll up the field to help apply pressure and force turnovers, they deliver the ball lace out to other forwards, and they kick goals. Ours struggle to do just one aspect of that.

I agree our small, mid sized forwards are poor, and while it would be great to have some of the names you have listed, a number of non sexy names can still elevate a side

Keays, Neal-Bullen, Jamie Cripps, Lohmann, McCarthy, McCreery, Guelfi, Wicks, West, etc

I agree our small, mid sized forwards are poor, and while it would be great to have some of the names you have listed, a number of non sexy names can still elevate a side

Keays, Neal-Bullen, Jamie Cripps, Lohmann, McCarthy, McCreery, Guelfi, Wicks, West, etc
Apart from wicks all the names you mention are wedded to their current teams. I think we need to find them through the draft or they could still be right under our noses and with further development could pop up down the line. I would go as far to say there could be a player that pops up really late this year to propel our run to the finals. Maybe that’s just a fantasia..

Apart from wicks all the names you mention are wedded to their current teams. I think we need to find them through the draft or they could still be right under our noses and with further development could pop up down the line. I would go as far to say there could be a player that pops up really late this year to propel our run to the finals. Maybe that’s just a fantasia..

There was talk last year that we were into Wicks, not sure how accurate it was at the time

Yes, more difficult to acquire current players, but some of the names being suggested would be even more difficult to obtain

Still some cheap options around

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d be into Luke Parker’s ear I reckon the writings on the wall with him.Would be perfect in our midfield has that toughness we lack.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The problem with our small forwards is that they are only a fraction of a proper one.

Owies for instance, kicks goals but applies little to no pressure.
Fogarty on the other hand applies heaps of pressure but kicks very few goals. Durdin can do both, but rarely shows it. Motlop has star factor, but can't get on the park.

Together, they are pieces which equate to one ideal small forward we need.

The problem with our small forwards is that they are only a fraction of a proper one.

Owies for instance, kicks goals but applies little to no pressure.
Fogarty on the other hand applies heaps of pressure but kicks very few goals. Durdin can do both, but rarely shows it. Motlop has star factor, but can't get on the park.

Together, they are pieces which equate to one ideal small forward we need.
Yep, unfortunately we don't have Victor Frankenstein on our books to combine them. Between Durdin, Owies, Fantasia, Cuningham and Fogarty we're essentially using up 5 list spots for 1 rounded small forward.

I’d be into Luke Parker’s ear I reckon the writings on the wall with him.Would be perfect in our midfield has that toughness we lack.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I recon that's a great idea. Parker is a known winner. Couldn’t be any worse than gifting a list spot to Cuningham. Alas I’d imagine Austen lacks that sort of imagination.

I recon that's a great idea. Parker is a known winner. Couldn’t be any worse than gifting a list spot to Cuningham. Alas I’d imagine Austen lacks that sort of imagination.
Slow midfield + Parker is somehow a recipe for success? He's a 32 year old Kennedy that won a premiership when he was 19.

If Austin used our last bit of cap space on Parker I'd be asking for his resignation.

Slow midfield + Parker is somehow a recipe for success? He's a 32 year old Kennedy that won a premiership when he was 19.

If Austin used our last bit of cap space on Parker I'd be asking for his resignation.
How could he be any worse than 2 blokes who never play like Martin and Cuningham?

Big question marks should be forming over Austen’s pertinence IMO. Taking Ollie Hollands over Busslinger felt like a mistake at the time and given the Campo twins are around the corner and our lack of KPD options I think it will look worse in the years to come. He also cannot nail a late pick which suggests he isn’t putting in the work. I think he is squarely in the gun at seasons end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back